Galveston Security took my nail scissors!

22 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

TSA has nothing to do with cruise port security.

Here is a five cent civics lesson for you:

TSA was created in the aftermath of 9/11 to oversee security in all modes of transportation and completed federalization of security operations by the end of 2002. TSA became part of the Department of Homeland Security in March 2003, making up a quarter of the DHS workforce. TSA’s scope includes commercial and general aviation; mass transit systems; freight and passenger rail; highways, pipelines and ports.

22 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise ships do not fall under transportation.

Well, they don't "fall under" National Parks, Agriculture, or the Postal Service either.

While the U.S. Coast Guard is the lead federal agency for maritime security, it relies on TSA’s support to screen passengers, vet maritime transportation workers, inspect credentials at maritime facilities and safely connect people and goods to vessels.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:22 PM, BlerkOne said:

Mobile was confiscating (or trying to) all scissors big and small. If you insisted, security there would tag and hold them until after the cruise.

They missed mine, but did hold a power cord - no surge protection - but it did have an on-off switch which I guess they decided was now illegal.

So, put everything in a checked bag and lock it.

Tsk. Tsk. You brought your scissors on getting past security. YOU BROKE THE RULES. Aren't you the one always lecturing on following the rules to a tee?

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, Moviela said:

The TSA (thousands standing around) sets the rules for what can be transported and how.(WRONG)

With respect to scissors, any type can be carried in checked luggage as long as it is protected so as not to injure inspectors. (NOPE) 

In hand carry bags scissors with blades that are less than 4 inches from the pivot point are allowed. In every case agents are permitted to make a final decision on the spot. (NOPE)

If terminal agents are confiscating scissors that are within TSA rules you should appeal to supervision in the terminal, and if necessary complain to Homeland Security for the over-reaching local rules. 

Why do you keep posting this?

The security screening at ports is NOT TSA and the rules they enforce are established by the cruise line. I posted the link, the text from it about knives and you want fellow cruisers to complain about overreach? 

Edited by BallFour4

6 hours ago, Moviela said:

While the U.S. Coast Guard is the lead federal agency for maritime security, it relies on TSA’s support to screen passengers, vet maritime transportation workers, inspect credentials at maritime facilities and safely connect people and goods to vessels.

Again, NOPE. The screening here in Galveston, Miami, Ft Lauderdale and the other ports we've cruisef from on thirty-six trips in four decades are from private security companies. 

9 hours ago, Moviela said:

Here is a five cent civics lesson for you

Your internet skills are amazing...  I was actively involved with post 9/11 security and worked at arms length with TSA for a couple years. TSA guidelines and the mandate for them to staff airport checkpoints are unique to air travel.

TSA may indeed have some limited oversight jurisdiction over mass transit, rail and seaports, but that's in a general security posture.  

It has never been in their purview to screen or oversee cruise passenger security.  That's all done by private security operating under guidance from the cruise line or ground agents.  

I think this is specific to Carnival. We left out of Tampa last month. The screener asked what type of scissors- I said manicure. He said do not leave them on view in the cabin or the cabin steward will confiscate. We left on Celebrity out of Tampa and the screener did not say anything. In January we had an issue with “pliers” we had to show that they were toe nail clippers.