Galveston Security took my nail scissors!

Well, this is a new one!  Galveston Security for our Breeze sailing last week detected my manicure set in my carry on and made me throw the little scissors away.  This happened to my son as well.

I do not know what happens with the checked luggage; surely they aren’t opening up all bags with scissors.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this along.  Needleworkers with very nice scissors will probably want to be sure they are not in carry on luggage.

That's interesting - my husband has a beard and has a small pair of scissors in his beard care kit. He uses them to trim his beard which needs to be done every couple of days. I don't recall any issues with him bringing them in the past. 

I just checked the prohibited items list and was very surprised to see that scissors are actually on there!  I've always been led to believe that small scissors (like for needlepoint or grooming) were acceptable.image.thumb.png.89fe9404dfe9e2a1b6017878b3f515ce.png

We got lucky I guess. My husband went through with fishing pliers, that are a lot like scissors. They did question it, he commented that he's taken them on all cruises before and saw his fishing gear, they let him go.

Mobile was confiscating (or trying to) all scissors big and small. If you insisted, security there would tag and hold them until after the cruise.

They missed mine, but did hold a power cord - no surge protection - but it did have an on-off switch which I guess they decided was now illegal.

So, put everything in a checked bag and lock it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Mobile was confiscating (or trying to) all scissors big and small. If you insisted, security there would tag and hold them until after the cruise.

They missed mine, but did hold a power cord - no surge protection - but it did have an on-off switch which I guess they decided was now illegal.

So, put everything in a checked bag and lock it.

Locking it would just be wasting a lock--they would just cut it off if they suspected something in your bag...

33 minutes ago, scoobysnacks70 said:

Locking it would just be wasting a lock--they would just cut it off if they suspected something in your bag...

I agree. If I were an inspector and saw a locked bag, that would raise red flags, and would justify a search of the bag. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

Not just scissors...now all pocket knives are banned including a small Swiss Army knife I have carried for nearly 2 decades.  Crazy considering fixed balde knives are freely available in every eating location 24/7.

10 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Not just scissors...now all pocket knives are banned including a small Swiss Army knife I have carried for nearly 2 decades.  Crazy considering fixed balde knives are freely available in every eating location 24/7.

Same here. I carried a small, multi tool pocked knife with me on our Vista cruise last August, 2021 without security even blinking when I passed through security. I guess something changed in the past 8 months. What changed, I have no idea. But very disappointed in that move. :classic_sad:

Edited by Joe817

Welcome to the new rules and guidelines. Here is the link where you will find this and the text below:

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1202

Prohibited Items

Knives, scissors and open razors. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

Edited by BallFour4

2 hours ago, scoobysnacks70 said:

No, they won't. They have no authority to cut locks.

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I agree. If I were an inspector and saw a locked bag, that would raise red flags, and would justify a search of the bag. Just my opinion. 

If they suspect something is dangerous, they need to call for real law enforcement. The rent-an-inspector at the baggage check isn't. Normally the luggage would make it onto the ship and be held by ship security in the naughty room and for them t wait for you to open so they can inspect. Don't ask me how I know. 🙂

• Haha 2

The TSA (thousands standing around) sets the rules for what can be transported and how.

With respect to scissors, any type can be carried in checked luggage as long as it is protected so as not to injure inspectors. 

In hand carry bags scissors with blades that are less than 4 inches from the pivot point are allowed. In every case agents are permitted to make a final decision on the spot. 

If terminal agents are confiscating scissors that are within TSA rules you should appeal to supervision in the terminal, and if necessary complain to Homeland Security for the over-reaching local rules. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The TSA (thousands standing around) sets the rules for what can be transported and how.

With respect to scissors, any type can be carried in checked luggage as long as it is protected so as not to injure inspectors. 

In hand carry bags scissors with blades that are less than 4 inches from the pivot point are allowed. In every case agents are permitted to make a final decision on the spot. 

If terminal agents are confiscating scissors that are within TSA rules you should appeal to supervision in the terminal, and if necessary complain to Homeland Security for the over-reaching local rules. 

Source please? And does that extend to pocket knives? TIA

57 minutes ago, Moviela said:

TSA has nothing to do with cruise port security.

• Like 1

I’ve taken a small pair of manicure scissors on every single one of my 20 Carnival cruises and never would have even thought to check if they weren’t allowed any more. It used to be nothing over 4 inches. Scissors are not only handy for nails, but cutting strings from clothing or thread in a sewing kit for emergency clothing repairs.  I think they’ve gone too far on this one. 

• Like 2

This is direct from TSA.gov website.   Karen

Scissors

Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: Yes

If packed in carry-on, they must be less than 4 inches from the pivot point.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

1 minute ago, yogibear said:

Scissors

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

That is for flying or other transportation under TSA jurisdiction - not cruise ships.

You won't find TSA at a cruise port. Period.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yogibear said:

Scissors

The TSA will also allow me to transport liquor and unloaded hand guns in my checked luggage - but I don't think Carnival would appreciate that. 😏  TSA rules do not apply here.

• Like 3

A couple cruises ago, my wife carried on a 4" paring knife.  They found it and my wife told them she uses it to cut up fruit from the buffet (apples, etc).  They gave it back right then and there without question.  So it goes...