May 20th Sailing from Trieste, COVID Testing

WaterSky

Can someone confirm that I am correct that HAL has significantly changed the COVID policy and testing for this sailing?   In the beginning of April the information on their web page indicated that there was a one day prior requirement and complimentary testing at the embarkation terminal.  I just noticed that the testing requirement is now three day prior and no testing at the terminal.   That being the case and as we are arriving in Venice 4 days earlier, will we have to hunt for a COVID testing location in Venice?  HAL has also indicated that there is a complimentary test at the end of the cruise in Barcelona.  Has that changed?   Any comments are welcome.  Thanks.

Edited by WaterSky
incorrect spacing

21 minutes ago, WaterSky said:

Can someone confirm that I am correct that HAL has significantly changed the COVID policy and testing for this sailing?   In the beginning of April the information on their web page indicated that there was a one day prior requirement and complimentary testing at the embarkation terminal.  I just noticed that the testing requirement is now three day prior and no testing at the terminal.   That being the case and as we are arriving in Venice 4 days earlier, will we have to hunt for a COVID testing location in Venice?  HAL has also indicated that there is a complimentary test at the end of the cruise in Barcelona.  Has that changed?   Any comments are welcome.  Thanks.

I would call Holland America and have them tell you and ask for that person's name. I have been told at least for Amsterdam that those traveling to EU in the time period of the three days they were going to offer free testing but knowing HAL they could just suddenly change. I was told this information on Tuesday this week. But it could be an ever changing thing. 

My personal opinion they should offer testing for those traveling in from North America. I have purchased Air and Hotel from HAL and staying three nights. With the cost of HAL hotel that is the least they can do is arrange and offer free testing. Timing wise there is no way I can test prior to leaving since it would be before the allowed time. Especially since I have printed out earlier information from them stating they would be offering the testing at the pier.

@WaterSkyYes, the current situation is that you must arrange your own Antigen test within 3 days (not 72 hours!) of embarkation.

There are a couple of test sites in Venice and another test site at Marco Polo Airport.  

https://www.veneziaairport.it/en/info-and-assistance/swab-test-covid-19.html

€35 Euro for the test is a good price!.

Currently HAL is stating that if a Negative Antigen test is required for Re-entry to home country that they will cover the cost and that it will be provided onboard prior to disembarkation.

Here are the latest protocols for European Cruises:

EU-Cruise-Protocols-0425.pdf

19 hours ago, WaterSky said:

We are sailing from Trieste on 20th May, our email received last week told us we needed a test either PCR 72 hours before, or an Antigen test the day before embarkation so we have booked tests for the day before (19th) in the afternoon.  The email also said for those who couldn't do that there would be some testing available at the pier before embarkation.  We fly from Manchester on the 20th and our flights are booked through HAL, so we will be going straight to Trieste from Venice.

2 hours ago, Oldies123 said:

our email received last week told us we needed a test either PCR 72 hours before, or an Antigen test the day before embarkation

This is completely contradictory to what is published in the current protocols.  Even the 72 hours is contradictory.

Bring negative, medically observed COVID-19 test result
taken within 3-days of embarkation

On 5/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, WaterSky said:

I can confirm what I read on their website, which is just what you said.  I am also cruising out of Venice/Trieste and when I booked, their website said they were offering free testing at the port prior to embarkation (like they did for me last summer on a European cruise).  It looks like this is no longer true.  I am going to have to figure out what to do, as we are also arriving in Venice 3 days before the cruise.  Yes, I believe if the U.S. still requires a negative Covid test to enter,  HAL will test you onboard the ship.  This is all new to me too.  I just booked this cruise a couple weeks ago, but then took a vacation.  Now I am back and have to start the planning.......and HAL likes to throw the wrenches in...

I am confused. When you open HAL’s European cruises protocol pdf, it specifically gives different requirements for Greece. 
“All guests ages two and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3-days of embarkation (for Greece, testing is required within 1-day of embarkation). Children under 2 years of age do not need to be tested prior to cruising.”

9 hours ago, pschweig said:

I am confused. When you open HAL’s European cruises protocol pdf, it specifically gives different requirements for Greece. 
“All guests ages two and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3-days of embarkation (for Greece, testing is required within 1-day of embarkation). Children under 2 years of age do not need to be tested prior to cruising.”

Nothing to be confused about.  It relates to the Country of Embarkation.  If you embark in Spain or Italy or Netherlands or Denmark, then a test 3 days prior is accepted.  If you are Embarking in Greece (and the only embarkation point HAL uses is Piraeus) then they require a test within 1 day.

It relates totally to Embarkation and has nothing to do with port calls.

This is from the HAL web site.

Guests ages two and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within three days of cruise embarkation for all European cruises unless embarking in Greece.  All cruises embarking in Greece require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within one day** of cruise embarkation. 

If a guest brings proof of testing without results to the pier, Holland America Line will test them at no charge. Guests who arrive without a negative test result will experience additional fees, a delayed embarkation and risk denied boarding and subject to quarantine should a positive result be returned.   

**For guests embarking in Athens, Greece, we understand that a one-day medically observed COVID-19 test may not be possible based on the timing of your arrival to Athens.  For your convenience we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal. However, Holland America Line strongly recommends guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. 

THAT is what I understood about tours leaving Piraeus! Thank you so much for confirming. Hopefully, Greece will change its requirements to a negative test 3 days before embarkation prior to our cruise’s departure.