covid testing for back-to-back Boston-Montreal/Montreal to Boston

gdy0354

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Recent reports are that people on B2Bs don't have to test on the second cruise.

Agreed, but I don't recall if any of these reports were based on b2b cruises with a Canadian change over port. Canadian regulations require all passengers to present a negative test result to embark on a cruise, and I've seen nothing exempting b2b passengers for their second leg. In the end, I suppose it will depend on whether the GOC views a b2b as a single cruise or two contiguous but separate cruises.

As this situation is just evolving, until officially advised otherwise, I'd plan on being tested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gdy0354 said:

Doing back-to-back cruises in June/July.

Info on how testing is handled in this situation?

Waiting to hear back from HAL Rep.

Advise?

Please let us know what you find out!  

Thanks! 

Just reading the FAQs for Cruises from U.S. & Canada.  "Guests on  back to back voyages will need  to disembark the ship at the end of each voyage, receive a complementary viral Covid-19  tests, and will be permitted to board  the ship again once  they receive a negative test result."

It goes on to state that, at present, guests will not need to pack and disembark with luggage for  this testing between cruises.  Final details will be confirmed on board.

I hope it all works out.

7 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

@gdy0354     Do you have these cruises booked already?  When I tried to B2B from Boston to Canada to Boston I was told I couldn't do that. 

Linda R.

I’m booked as a Boston to Montreal and back to Boston.  Have done this several times.  HAL even used to do it as a 14 day cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I’m booked as a Boston to Montreal and back to Boston.  Have done this several times.  HAL even used to do it as a 14 day cruise.

I wonder if my issue was somehow related to having been on the Voyage of the Vikings before wanting to just stay on?  All I know is I wanted to stay on from Boston to Canada (where that 7 day cruise would end) and then continue back to Boston on the next 7 day that was leaving Canada.  Something about that Passenger Act thing.  Maybe I should look into it again.  Thanks for your info!

Linda R.

• Like 1

We are on the 2 cruises before you. June 11 & June 18. Plan to report back here after our turn-around on the 18th. I hope no test required and just a walk off and back on the ship. This is our 8th "B2B" on this route starting in

2013[missed 2020 & 2021].

Edited by ATC
edit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I wonder if my issue was somehow related to having been on the Voyage of the Vikings before wanting to just stay on?  All I know is I wanted to stay on from Boston to Canada (where that 7 day cruise would end) and then continue back to Boston on the next 7 day that was leaving Canada.  Something about that Passenger Act thing.  Maybe I should look into it again.  Thanks for your info!

Linda R.

So really a b2b2b. First cruise, Boston to Boston (Voyage of the Vikings); second cruise, Boston to Montreal; third cruise Montreal to Boston. None of these individually or in combination would constitute an infringement of the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act). 

The only issue I can see is that with the Voyage of the Vikings, there may be a need to completely clear the ship when it returns to Boston from Europe. This might include disembarking with all of your luggage and then checking in for the Boston-Montreal-Boston b2b.

I would definitely pursue this with HAL, as I don't think that the advice you have been provided is accurate.

Good luck!

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATC said:

Royal Caribbean drops a COVID pandemic rule for back-to-back cruises

Maybe HAL will follow before our turn-around day.

As pointed out upthread, HAL has dropped the B2B testing requirement. But in the Boston-Montreal-Boston situation this thread is about, its CANADA, NOT HAL that would require the test for the Montreal-Boston leg.

Transport Canada has published a revised Ship Safety Bulletin: Measures to Support Safe Cruise Travel in Canada - SSB No.: 18/2021 (modified May 6, 2022). While there is no specific mention of b2b cruises, the revised bulletin does include the following the following with respect to testing:

Pre-Embarkation Testing Requirements for Passengers

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected from the person at least 10 days and no more than 180 days before the person initially boards the cruise ship.

This would appear to enable b2b cruisers to forego testing for the second or subsequent legs as they provided a negative test prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship for the first leg. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Transport Canada has published a revised Ship Safety Bulletin: Measures to Support Safe Cruise Travel in Canada - SSB No.: 18/2021 (modified May 6, 2022). While there is no specific mention of b2b cruises, the revised bulletin does include the following the following with respect to testing:

To fulfill the above requirements, passengers requiring a pre-embarkation test will need to provide one of the following:

• Evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test (e.g. PCR test) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 72 hours prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a negative COVID-19 antigen test (e.g. RAT) – performed on a specimen collected from the person no more than 2 days before initially boarding the cruise ship.
  • Evidence of a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected from the person at least 10 days and no more than 180 days before the person initially boards the cruise ship.

This would appear to enable b2b cruisers to forego testing for the second or subsequent legs as they provided a negative test prior to their initial boarding of the cruise ship for the first leg. 

This would be good News for all those planning a B2B!   Thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If that's the case would you assume we would not have to use the Arrivecan app? 

9 minutes ago, gdy0354 said:

If that's the case would you assume we would not have to use the Arrivecan app? 

Excellent question. I think that would depend upon the itinerary of the second leg.

Example 1:

Cruise 1: Hawaii - Vancouver

Cruise 2: Vancouver - Alaska - Vancouver

In this example, I imagine that you would need to make an ArriveCAN submission for each leg as in both cases your final destination is in Canada. 

Example 2:

Cruise 1: Boston - Montreal

Cruise 2: Montreal - Boston

As the second leg terminates in the US, I don't believe that an ArriveCAN submission would be required.

I wouldn't make any linkage between a testing requirements and ArriveCAN in either example, as the app no longer requires you to submit any information on testing.