Best way to book?

6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That is a generalisation, not always a wise observation.  I can only (and did above) speak for our experience.  I do know that TAs took a huge hit with COVID, and many only survived for as long as they did, keeping staff in  employment, btw, through Jobkeeper.  It couldn't last forever;  there's no such thing as a bottomless moneypit, but it was an innovative and generous scheme to keep food on the table for many families, young and old.  I doubt that TAs could simply take those funds without employment records.  I recall reading that "Hardly Normal" was a different story.  Made a profit and didn't return the grant.  I also doubt that any TAs could have made a profit during COVID.

Happy for you that Yzo got a Great TA .....

But $$$$$ gone .

And by the way we will never know whom your TA is 

11 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Happy for you that Yzo got a Great TA .....

But $$$$$ gone .

And by the way we will never know whom your TA is 

We all know that TAs must never be named on CC, which is a sensible rule.  TAs would take over the threads, otherwise.  I certainly had no intention of even hinting at her identity.  I simply wished to make the point that as in any industry, there are good and altruistic souls.  I'm not sure about the "$$$$$ gone".  Are you referring to TAs who may not have passed on refunds?  If so, and they exist, then I couldn't agree more that such behaviour is not only illegal, but also deplorable.  Our TA has consistently and punctually passed on any refunds due to us, and to family members and many friends who also engage her services.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, MicCanberra said:

We use various methods, depending  on whichever way we find best, horses for courses

that's us also.

At first we used TA's as we didn't know too much about it, but as we learned more, including on here with the good folk on cc, we moved to booking direct also.

If we know the cruise we want to do we just book online with the cruise-line. If the trip involves OS flights and hotels etc in addition to the cruise we will likely use a TA.

We have also used a TA when there is a package deal advertised, which likely saved us a few $'s?

We have also done a number of charter cruises that can only be booked thru TA.

We would be less likely to use a TA now, based on many anecdotal stories heard/read over the past 2 years.

As Mic says, horses for courses.

We had all relevant refunds from travel agents passed on. I also had a couple of instances when NOT booking direct meant I got a refund. I had booked a hotel in London for five nights - not cheap! The hotel refused a refund quoting their 'no refund' policy, but because I booked through Qantas hotels, I got an immediate refund. I had also booked international flights. Qantas would have given  me a future credit, but because I booked through Princess Ezair and had paid in full, I got a refund.

• Thanks 1