CG Asked Allure To Check Out Boat In Distress

At dinner and noticed we stopped and then I saw a life boat being lowered. Captain came on and said the CG asked us to see if they needed rescuing. I'm about 3 windows down fron where the life boat was lowered so I can't see a whole lot. He said they would be here in about 1.5 hours so not sure how long we will be here.

• Like 2

We gave them life vests and flashlights and I think he said something else, but people kept talking so I didn't catch it all. There is an aircraft circling overhead. They will wait till the CG comes to rescue them. Glad they are ok.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coaster said:

Captain said three people from Cuba. Resumed sailing about 45 minutes ago. Ship should make it back to Fort Lauderdale on time.

Are you on the ship now? I must have missed the Cuban and 3 people part. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I was out on deck taking some photos of the sunset when I noticed the Coast Guard plane circling around and something in the water. I stayed until the rescue boat got to the vessel. The small black spot in the water was the drifting vessel. IMG_20220507_200155800.thumb.jpg.f62d9d2c673df520b925ea2f0875cee6.jpgIMG_20220507_200538242.thumb.jpg.600ac1301ac97b59fa1bbefcbda8ad9a.jpgIMG_20220507_200042106.thumb.jpg.b78268db331fd1357a859806a8422cbe.jpg

Edited by CruiserEK
Typo
  • Like 1

What happened is an everyday occurrence in the Florida Straits.  These were migrants from Cuba.  If the rescue boat returned without them, it's because they either refused to come aboard or a CG boat wasn't far.  In those circumstances, it's best to give them life jackets, some food and water, and a way of being seen at night (flashlight).  

• Thanks 1