where to stay FLL or MIA for miami cruise

j721red

Hi we are cruising from Miami port Dec 2022.

We are flying from NL Canada and our best flight option flies into FLL. trying to decide on a plan for hotel and transport, we are 3 adults, one in wheelchair.

We will arrive in FLL at 8:11 pm,sat night and cruising out of Miami next day.sun.

Would it make more sense to stay at a FLL hotel(near airport or cruise port ?)and grab a cab to miami port in the morning

or Get a gab when we arrive FLL and go directly to Miami, stay at a miami hotel near cruise port and grab a cab to port in the morning?

i realize its a complicated question but i could really use some guidance.

Arriving that late I would choose to stay near FLL and then make my way to POM the next morning.  Lots of transport options including limo, taxi, Uber/Lyft and shared shuttles

I would stay at a hotel near FLL. You can look at transportation companies to get to POM the next morning. One such company has a list of hotels near FLL for this very service. https://www.ridesas.com/

That is just one example, I know others here on CC have used similar companies. These companies exist because this is a very common question.

19 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Specific dates can make a difference, as can whether your wheelchair user uses a power wheelchair, whether the wheelchair is collapsible, and similar things.

we will arrive FLL dec 10 qnd cruise out of miami dec 11. My daughter uses an electric wheelchair but will have her collapsible power wheelchair when we travel

If the collapsible wheelchair fits in the back of a minivan and your daughter can transfer into a regular vehicle seat, I would focus on minivan taxis. Plentiful and easy. I would 

-try to shift to an earlier flight/ the Fort Lauderdale Holiday Boat Parade is the night of the 10th. It goes right by the Riverside hotel on Las Olas. The Riverside is a lovely hotel.

If a long flight, I’d probably stay the night in Fort Lauderdale. Probably just south of the airport. I’d place a delivery order from Quarterdeck Dania (good sushi, very good hamburgers and ribs) as I picked up my bags. I’d taxi or use SAS shuttle to Miami.the next day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You are cutting it way too tight (IMO) to make your cruise the following day given the time of year and your location (NL)….nowadays lots of weather cancellations and just flight cancellations. We’ve altered our plans to always allow 2 days.

I just booked 2 days early too.  My family has first hand experience missing a cruise recently due to flight issues even booked for the day before.  I just booked a Thursday arrival for a Saturday cruise.  Not only a little more wiggle room for flight issues but a $130 pp difference in price which more than covers the cost of another night at Springhill Suites near FLL.  Planning to contact SAS for shuttles to & from POM.  Cruising the end of October.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I prefer to do pre cruise stays in FLL for Miami departures.  Hotels are less expensive and you can find many with restaurants within walking distance

have you taken the Brightline to Miami? so much better than an uber or cab.

29 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

have you taken the Brightline to Miami? so much better than an uber or cab.

No, I most travel solo and the train would require two additional methods of travel to get to the station and from the station to port.  The hotel I had been using in FLL had a bus for $20 to POM so that was easy.  

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, I most travel solo and the train would require two additional methods of travel to get to the station and from the station to port.  The hotel I had been using in FLL had a bus for $20 to POM so that was easy.  

oh, that is a great price.

Brightline is planning to extend their line to the port of Miami...i dont know how they plan to do that.

1 hour ago, MSUjohn said:

oh, that is a great price.

Brightline is planning to extend their line to the port of Miami...i dont know how they plan to do that.

I saw an old article that said there was going to be a station at POM but it is a station in downtown Miami open now