Cruise cancellation QM2

lemon tree

I also would be really upset if I was cancelled just because of staffing issues.  It is hard when you have all segments planned for a vacation and just one segment is cancelled.  Lots of work and hopefully a good travel agent to get the parts all put back together again.  So sorry for everyone that is affected by these cancellations.

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

I also would be really upset if I was cancelled just because of staffing issues.  It is hard when you have all segments planned for a vacation and just one segment is cancelled.  Lots of work and hopefully a good travel agent to get the parts all put back together again.  So sorry for everyone that is affected by these cancellations.

This one is not a staffing issue , but a area of   cabins being reserved for potential Covid isolation.

5 years ago we were booked on a 12 days Baltic cruise on Princess. 2 weeks before the cruise our TA got a phone call from the cruise line advising her that our cruise is "overbooked" (whatever that means) and they are looking for volunteers to give up their cabin. To those who agree, Princess offered:

1. A full refund

2. A free cruise to anywhere in the world up to 14 nights.

3. A free upgrade of one category.

4. Free economy flights.

Needleless to say we jumped on the offer. The upgrade in our case was from mini suite to a full suite, so we got a $20k cruise for free with free flights.

This is how a company should treat their customers when something goes wrong (and it's their fault). Has nothing to do with loyalty or number of cruises you did (this was our first cruise with Princess).

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

5 years ago we were booked on a 12 days Baltic cruise on Princess. 2 weeks before the cruise our TA got a phone call from the cruise line advising her that our cruise is "overbooked" (whatever that means) and they are looking for volunteers to give up their cabin. To those who agree, Princess offered:

1. A full refund

2. A free cruise to anywhere in the world up to 14 nights.

3. A free upgrade of one category.

4. Free economy flights.

Needleless to say we jumped on the offer. The upgrade in our case was from mini suite to a full suite, so we got a $20k cruise for free with free flights.

This is how a company should treat their customers when something goes wrong (and it's their fault). Has nothing to do with loyalty or number of cruises you did (this was our first cruise with Princess).

Five years ago, travel companies were operating in a different world.

It would be interesting to know if the same offer would be on the table today. Plus, ''their fault'' could be open to interpretation in this Covid, and I say Covid rather than post Covid as the world is still reeling, world.

Having had countless Cunard bookings cancelled, I feel for those who are now in the same position. Not nice at all whatever the final reason for cancellation might be. 

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Five years ago, travel companies were operating in a different world.

It would be interesting to know if the same offer would be on the table today. Plus, ''their fault'' could be open to interpretation in this Covid, and I say Covid rather than post Covid as the world is still reeling, world.

Having had countless Cunard bookings cancelled, I feel for those who are now in the same position. Not nice at all whatever the final reason for cancellation might be. 

Maybe not. But would Cunard make the same offer 5 years ago? We have no way to know.

Cancelling the whole cruise because of Covid is not the same as cancelling someone's specific sailing because of poor planning. This is a big deal and the compensation should be appropriate. 

The way companies treat their customers during this pandemic will go a long way after all this is over. For example, most cruise lines issued refunds for cancelled cruises within 4-6 weeks. To Crystal it took 6-12 months. We all know where Crystal is now.. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Cancelling the whole cruise because of Covid is not the same as cancelling someone's specific sailing because of poor planning. This is a big deal and the compensation should be appropriate. 

The way companies treat their customers during this pandemic will go a long way after all this is over. For example, most cruise lines issued refunds for cancelled cruises within 4-6 weeks. To Crystal it took 6-12 months. We all know where Crystal is now.. 

I fully agree with your statements, especially in reference to "poor planning." Perhaps before selling cabins to more full capacity, they should have taken into consideration isolation cabins, and not have sold them!!

And I was a Crystal cruiser, but, as you said, "We all know where Crystal is now..." Crystal was down to only 3 ocean vessels, and Cunard is also only 3 ships away from a similar demise (4, if you count the yet to sail ship that another line could easily rename and rebrand).

48 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Maybe not. But would Cunard make the same offer 5 years ago? We have no way to know.

Poor planning or scuppered planning because of world wide Covid regulations? I have no idea and I have a sneaking  suspicion, many others have no idea either just as we have no idea what Cunard would have done in the same situation as Princess five years ago.

We are approaching Cunard from different starting blocks.

I am a committed and loyal Cunard client. We used to spend upwards of two and a half months at sea with them at various times of the year.

You have no loyalty to the company and objectively see the proceedings in that light. Completely understandable.

Whilst I'm aware the bottom line rules their business practices and some of their operational responses are less than consumer friendly to those negatively affected, I also recognise they are a business  and not a charity and as I am more than happy for Cunard to stay afloat, literally, and  whilst I don't or wouldn't like it, I understand their business actions.

Crystal has no bearing in anything any more. A very much simplified version shows their situation was rooted in the bankruptcy of a company owned shipyard which resulted in the filing for liquidation of the parent company.

Cunard will survive and thrive. Whilst many stalwarts rail against the changes being wrought, these tweaks will bring in those who hitherto were ready for the elegance of Cunard but not the stringent jacket wearing evening formality. The stiffly formal brigade may fall by the wayside but make no mistake, Cunard will continue to sail. Thank goodness. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

I fully agree with your statements, especially in reference to "poor planning." Perhaps before selling cabins to more full capacity, they should have taken into consideration isolation cabins, and not have sold them!!

They didn't sell cabins to full capacity by all accounts, if the ships are sailing about 70% full. Isolation cabins are apparently not the issue, but rather staff shortages.