Impossible to book solo dining online

KKB

So I wanted to book my dinners but it only gives even numbers as choices.

Do I just book for 2?

I don't want to be charged for another person!

As a solo passenger, I never make reservations until on board ship.  Most times, as a solo you do not need to make a reservation.  Even at the Speciality restaurants, just go to the Hostess Desk and they will eat you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

As a solo passenger, I never make reservations until on board ship.  Most times, as a solo you do not need to make a reservation.  Even at the Specialty restaurants, just go to the Hostess Desk and they will eat you.

Funniest post I have ever read on CC!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KKB said:

Do I just book for 2?

40 minutes ago, KKB said:

Do I just book for 2?

As Trivimp said, just book a table for two. All tables, except for the oddball round table you'll see once in awhile, are for even numbers. (2,4,6,8,etc.)

For most restaurants booking for 2 works-it doesn’t work at Teppanyaki and any restaurants where they charge per diner. Every specialty that charges a la carte you can book for 2 and there won’t be any issues. There aren’t any tables for 1 anyhow. 

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

As a solo passenger, I never make reservations until on board ship.  Most times, as a solo you do not need to make a reservation.  Even at the Speciality restaurants, just go to the Hostess Desk and they will eat you.

They do, of course, have a service charge you must pay them for eating you.

😜

Edited by The Shrike
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

For most restaurants booking for 2 works-it doesn’t work at Teppanyaki and any restaurants where they charge per diner. Every specialty that charges a la carte you can book for 2 and there won’t be any issues. There aren’t any tables for 1 anyhow. 

If you are using the dining plan just book those with charges first. If not, you can call to book and they will only charge you for one.

7 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

on my previous cruise, i was able to book teppanyaki for 2 people with no charge due to the dinning package. it seems like this is the only way to get a reservation in advance otherwise you run the risk of the timeslot being booked onboard the ship

• Like 1

As noted - most or all tables are even sizes so there are no one-person tables. If you have an odd number of people and want to book those venues, just book for the next highest table size as you're getting that size table anyway.  This is EXACTLY what I was told at Le Bistro in 2019 when I sailed with 2 others (so we had a party of 3), we booked a 4-top and the host told us we did just the right thing as we would have gotten a 4-top table anyway.

Teppanyaki, due to the type of venue it is, should allow you to book for just one.

This topic comes up a lot...

We have a group of 5 traveling in September. For one of the dinners I reached out to the Haven concierge to book as it's a friend's birthday. Our reservation says 4, but they 'internally' told them it was for 5. For the rest of the dinners I just booked it for 6 or 4 if there would only be 3 of us. Outside of Tepanyaki you're going to take up both seats at the table anyway so not sure it matters.

14 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

For most restaurants booking for 2 works-it doesn’t work at Teppanyaki and any restaurants where they charge per diner.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Teppanyaki, due to the type of venue it is, should allow you to book for just one.

I think it does "work" for Teppanyaki if you're booking it when you have one or more specialty dining meals available.  There are three of us on our next cruise and I booked Teppanyaki for four.  I wasn't charged at time of booking.  Once at the restaurant, I believe that they just seat people as they come until the table is at or near capacity.  If two parties show up in the same timeframe booked for four each but only three people, they now have room at the same table for another party of two.   If one, they just have an empty seat at that table.  It happens.  Same thing happens at Benihana's.

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I think it does "work" for Teppanyaki if you're booking it when you have one or more specialty dining meals available.  There are three of us on our next cruise and I booked Teppanyaki for four.  I wasn't charged at time of booking.  Once at the restaurant, I believe that they just seat people as they come until the table is at or near capacity.  If two parties show up in the same timeframe booked for four each but only three people, they now have room at the same table for another party of two.   If one, they just have an empty seat at that table.  It happens.  Same thing happens at Benihana's.

When we were on the Jade recently we discovered that we had booked Teppanyaki for the same time as some friends onboard, so decided to go together.

When we arrived, they seated us on different tables, as they has pre-allocated the seating. This suggests that they don't just fill them up as they go.

28 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

When we were on the Jade recently we discovered that we had booked Teppanyaki for the same time as some friends onboard, so decided to go together.

When we arrived, they seated us on different tables, as they has pre-allocated the seating. This suggests that they don't just fill them up as they go.

Yes, but you were trying to add people.  I was talking about booking four when there are only three of us.

32 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, but you were trying to add people.  I was talking about booking four when there are only three of us.

No, we were all booked, we just requested sitting together.

My point was that they don't just seat people as they turn up, but have the seating planned in advance, based on the bookings.

10 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

I often travel solo and when booking restaurants, sometimes to get the times I want I have to book tables for 2, 4 and even 6. Once on board, it's easy to change all to one.

I hear you and also it happens at the theme parks in FLA too.  Tables are in EVEN numbers for some reason.

• Like 1