Online Proctored Covid tests?

Mountaineer0313

We sail into Vancouver on the morning of September 16th. Delta has just changed our flight. Previously we were flying out 2:15 pm. Now it's 12:45. What online proctored covid tests are you all buying, and from where, so that we can do them the night before on the ship and not have to worry about getting tested before we go to the airport. I'm trying to avoid changing our flights to the next day and having to stay overnight in Vancouver.

I have the eMed tests purchased for our cruise, but they are expensive $180 for six with shipping and they come in huge boxes that can't be opened until test time. Going to take a whole carry-on for 2 six packs. (Slight exaggeration, but the boxes are pretty large.

If I had seen this before I had bought them, I would have used it instead:

On 4/21/2022 at 2:37 AM, Coralc said:
On 4/21/2022 at 2:00 AM, Ashland said:

Does anyone else wish that the Abbott Binex test kits would come in smaller packaging?

It would be much easier to pack in your carryon bag when needed to take with you on flights.

I know I do!!!

Your wish may soon be granted. Competition in the marketplace:classic_biggrin: We are using IHealth monitored tests for our cruise next week. (Small Boxes). And this great find by another Cruise Critic member (Apologies, I bookmarked it, but didn't note his name) allows you to use just about any FDA approved home covid test and receive a monitored lab report. They have a list of tests. (all small boxes). I will let everyone know for sure next week, but according to RC, proctored home tests are acceptable. :classic_biggrin: 

Link: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/product/observed-test-for-travel/ 

That is pulled from this thread:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Are the BinaxNOW covid test kits the US government sent free to all citizens requesting them not good enough?  That's what we were planning on using.

Must be the proctored kind, the free ones are not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gramma of Boys said:

Pretty sure you can get most any test proctored at rapidtestandtrace.com as long as it's FDA approved.

I think this is fairly new or it is to me.

• Like 2

We received iHealth when the US government sent them out. They have the option to register for online monitoring for around $20-25. The free Binax don't have that option. BUT our iHealth expire in June so you may need to check that - while double checking online as some tests recently had the expiration dates extended.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone.  More things to think about, and I had no idea about proctored tests or expiration dates.  This board is very helpful for many reasons.

We leave home on June 10 later in the afternoon, and board the ship the next day.  I think we will just go to Walgreens or CVS for our tests prior to leaving home.  Tests must be within 3 days f boarding, correct?

Edited by GloriaF

18 hours ago, GloriaF said:

We leave home on June 10 later in the afternoon, and board the ship the next day.  I think we will just go to Walgreens or CVS for our tests prior to leaving home.

CVS now charges over $100 for the test…no free ones unless your doctor orders one because you are sick. No longer free if for travel purposes. Walgreens may still do it for free but you are not guaranteed they will have an opening for you. It’s easier to just buy the proctored test and know you have it and will have documented results in 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, MellyMel612 said:

We received iHealth when the US government sent them out. They have the option to register for online monitoring for around $20-25. The free Binax don't have that option. BUT our iHealth expire in June so you may need to check that - while double checking online as some tests recently had the expiration dates extended.

I just checked on this.  Our iHealth freebies expire in July and August (two different batches.)

download (fda.gov)

This pdf from the FDA extends that expiration date, in our cases from July until October and from August until November.  I printed out those extended dates and taped them to the boxes.  Moral of the story here -- don't do a whole lot about this until closer to embarkation date.  They are delivering these tests if you order them in the mail in just a few days.

This will save us some money.  Thanks for this thread.

But then, maybe by fall, they will stop all this.  🙂

• Like 2

There are two places that you can use your own government ihealth tests, or any other FDA approved self COVID tests where they provide the proctoring. One costs $23.99 and the other is $14.99. They are both based in California. The links are below:

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkHw_SulB6xHn4_vappPhjda1s9HNbNSuO34curOuzP5gAHV4PaPgPUaAr60EALw_wcB

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

There are lots of options out there. Hope this helps!

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 5:14 PM, Gray Lady said:

There are two places that you can use your own government ihealth tests, or any other FDA approved self COVID tests where they provide the proctoring. One costs $23.99 and the other is $14.99. They are both based in California. The links are below:

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkHw_SulB6xHn4_vappPhjda1s9HNbNSuO34curOuzP5gAHV4PaPgPUaAr60EALw_wcB

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

There are lots of options out there. Hope this helps!

I will also mention that if you are a CA resident, and have medical insurance, Total Testing Solutions will do the proctoring at no charge to you, they will bill your insurance.  I have not used them yet, but I have an appointment scheduled for next week for an upcoming cruise.  I provided our medical insurance and secured an appointment without having to give a credit card or anything. 

• Like 1

Am I correct in understanding that you can just take your own regular OTC covid test kits and then make an appt with an on-line service like Onpoint-testing.com and that is good enough?  It seems much more flexible than ordering the kits from eMed. 

Also, Medicare recipients can get 8 free Covid tests kits per month.  So I can stock up. 

Edited by VitaminSea53

18 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Am I correct in understanding that you can just take your own regular OTC covid test kits and then make an appt with an on-line service like Onpoint-testing.com and that is good enough?  It seems much more flexible than ordering the kits from eMed. 

Also, Medicare recipients can get 8 free Covid tests kits per month.  So I can stock up. 

Yes,  as long as the kits are FDA approved. Do not open them until you are on video with the proctor. I have talked to OnPoint, and that is all you need to do. Appointments are made up to one month in advance. I would take extra tests in case there are internet problems.

Hi, can anyone tell me if the tests are readily available over the counter in Vancouver. I am coming from Australia and Im not sure our tests would have the same approvals? I understand the need to book a service such as one point to observe the test, but just wondering the easiest way to buy the tests. We arrive in Vancouver 5 days before the cruise departs, so have plenty of time. Also, can anyone clarify, as we are staying in Vancouver post cruise and don't need a test to fly back into Australia, a disembarkation test is not required? 

Thanks

Edited by sjs203

The antigen rapid test are readily available at most drug stores and pharmacies BUT and it's a BIG BUT whether you would be able to get them is another matter.

Here in BC the test kits are free to BC residents - when I got my first package of five we were limited to one package every twenty eight days - they were coded with our medical info.

I went to get another package after I got back from my cruise and the pharmacy I went to said how many packages would you like - I took 2 - and no medical info was asked for. This leads me to believe that you could possibly just walk into a pharmacy - there is one in the food court mall across the street from the terminal.

There are at least three more pharmacies within a four or five block radius of Canada Place - if they say no at one try another one - the government has paid for them not the pharmacy.

Do you know anyone here in Vancouver who could get them for you.

There is also the chance that your hotel may keep some on hand in case they have to start testing guests.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy our great city and your cruise.

I can't answer the second part of your question regarding testing at disembarkation.

Dennis  

19 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

The antigen rapid test are readily available at most drug stores and pharmacies BUT and it's a BIG BUT whether you would be able to get them is another matter.

Here in BC the test kits are free to BC residents - when I got my first package of five we were limited to one package every twenty eight days - they were coded with our medical info.

I went to get another package after I got back from my cruise and the pharmacy I went to said how many packages would you like - I took 2 - and no medical info was asked for. This leads me to believe that you could possibly just walk into a pharmacy - there is one in the food court mall across the street from the terminal.

There are at least three more pharmacies within a four or five block radius of Canada Place - if they say no at one try another one - the government has paid for them not the pharmacy.

Do you know anyone here in Vancouver who could get them for you.

There is also the chance that your hotel may keep some on hand in case they have to start testing guests.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy our great city and your cruise.

I can't answer the second part of your question regarding testing at disembarkation.

Dennis  

Thanks Dennis, This sure does help. We don't know anyone in Vancouver. I think our best bet is to bring some from home as back ups and we'll try in pharmacies when we arrive. Can't wait to explore your city. Any tips for must do's that we wouldn't have seen on the tourist sights? Travelling with my mum in her 70's who is fit and healthy, but not into heavy hiking. 

Does anyone know if you can put your test kits in your carry on luggage for a plane?  I've asked TSA but not heard back yet. There is that little bit of liquid that makes me wonder.  But, mine say not to open them until the video chat proctoring so I can't take that liquid vial out and put it in my liquids bag.

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Does anyone know if you can put your test kits in your carry on luggage for a plane?  I've asked TSA but not heard back yet. There is that little bit of liquid that makes me wonder.  But, mine say not to open them until the video chat proctoring so I can't take that liquid vial out and put it in my liquids bag.

You actually "must" put them in your carryon. Temperature can affect the test reliability.

TSA is not a problem or concern at all...their very aware of these tests. We recently traveled with 4 in our backpack...the concern is that their not damaged...wrap them in bubble wrap. We worried constantly about them and handled with kid gloves...especially when placing the backpack under a seat or the overhead. 

I know I'm not the only one that wishes the tests were in smaller packaging.

• Like 1