Uograde to Premium Beverage Package not worth the money

drakes2

Supplier B may already be tapped out.

Curiosity this morning and hit Google. Because they buy "for export", the cruise lines are able to buy direct and go around the three-tier distribution model (at least for wine, and probably liquor as well). But they went from March of 2020 until the summer of 2021 presumably without taking deliveries (inventory is bad for cash flow). Like everything else they do, it's all proprietary and who knows the details, but if the major producers and brokers have sold their product elsewhere, who do you turn to?

Good news is they're not fighting for the allocation from Florida distributors. Good news for Florida from what's in this thread is those distributors have done well in maintaining inventory. Bad news for cruisers is that's taxed product slated for sale, presumably in Florida.

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

Because they buy "for export", the cruise lines are able to buy direct and go around the three-tier distribution model (at least for wine, and probably liquor as well). 

They were part of the Liberian allocation! 😉

18 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

To be fair, the vast majority of wines (and all the bourbons) which are ready to drink now were produced and bottled either pre-pandemic or in the very early days.  So if there are supply chain issues for what we want to drink now, it'd be centered on the packaging/boxes or in the actual delivery process. 

As much as I've tried, I just cannot figure out what this post means. Another foible on my part.

But I do know that your reference to Liberia is irrelevant and inappropriate. Seems to be a lot of that going on in this thread. Gosh, I feel like a super-moderator.

52 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As much as I've tried, I just cannot figure out what this post means. Another foible on my part.

But I do know that your reference to Liberia is irrelevant and inappropriate. Seems to be a lot of that going on in this thread. Gosh, I feel like a super-moderator.

You're right, my apologies--Celebrity ships are mostly flagged in Malta not Liberia.  My bad--but you get the gist.  Wines are allocated to states and corporate buying entities (wholesalers). X likely is NOT beholden to the FL allocations since they're not domiciled in FL, nor any other state. 

The rest of my comment was to clarify that the process that gets California grapes into X passenger wine glasses is years-long and mostly occurred before today's supply chain constraints (except for the final few steps of boxing the wines and shipping them).  I think X's bottom line issues (losing money for several years and taking on massive amounts of debt) are as much to blame as supply chain issues. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

You're right, my apologies--Celebrity ships are mostly flagged in Malta not Liberia.  My bad--but you get the gist.  Wines are allocated to states and corporate buying entities (wholesalers). X likely is NOT beholden to the FL allocations since they're not domiciled in FL, nor any other state. 

The rest of my comment was to clarify that the process that gets California grapes into X passenger wine glasses is years-long and mostly occurred before today's supply chain constraints (except for the final few steps of boxing the wines and shipping them).  I think X's bottom line issues (losing money for several years and taking on massive amounts of debt) are as much to blame as supply chain issues. 

No apologies to me, necessary. I do totally agree with your second paragraph, and I would ask, is it indeed the sum of all parts of this thread discussion that are responsible for the dilemma? Would common sense and a bit of wisdom lead one to this conclusion? Finally, does the current state-of- affairs significantly devalue Celebrity's beverage packages? Are they really that much different than originally advertised, pre-pandemic? I think not.  

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Finally, does the current state-of- affairs significantly devalue Celebrity's beverage packages? Are they really that much different than originally advertised, pre-pandemic? I think not.  

I'm not so sure, the problem is not so much that certain specific wines, or indeed other beverages are missing, it is that there have been no reasonable substitutions, just whatever was left and available on the original wine list/bar menu...

It is not that other products could not be sourced, it feels like it is the specific named product or nothing, that is where the problem comes in...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I'm not so sure, the problem is not so much that certain specific wines, or indeed other beverages are missing, it is that there have been no reasonable substitutions, just whatever was left and available on the original wine list/bar menu...

It is not that other products could not be sourced, it feels like it is the specific named product or nothing, that is where the problem comes in...

Example - If Celebrity's Premium Beverage Package included "Caymus Special Selection", I would not want "Conundrum" if Caymus unavailable. If it included "Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve", I would not want "Elegance" in its place. If "Duckhorn" was my pour, "Decoy" would not adequately suffice. 

Conundrum, Elegance and Decoy are all good wines, but truly speaking they are not premium. Whereas, in Celebrity's house they are. Hence, if one is not available, the others are legitimate substitutes. Bring Cherry Pie to the party and all is well. Celebrity is fulfilling its responsibility. One really has no valid complaint even though Conundrum may be the pour of choice.  

As we all know, should you order "Special Selection", "Vintner's Reserve" or "Duckhorn", you will pay quite a bit more $$ above the allotted amount. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Example - If Celebrity's Premium Beverage Package included "Caymus Special Selection", I would not want "Conundrum" if Caymus unavailable. If it included "Kendall Jackson Vintner's Reserve", I would not want "Elegance" in its place. If "Duckhorn" was my pour, "Decoy" would not adequately suffice. 

Conundrum, Elegance and Decoy are all good wines, but truly speaking they are not premium. Whereas, in Celebrity's house they are. Hence, if one is not available, the others are legitimate substitutes. Bring Cherry Pie to the party and all is well. Celebrity is fulfilling its responsibility. One really has no valid complaint even though Conundrum may be the favorite.  

That's like saying as long as they have ONE premium package whisky onboard, they're fulfilled their responsibility.  As if it wouldn't matter if Makers Mark was all that was available, but you're a Scotch drinker. Premium whisky? Check. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, D C said:

That's like saying as long as they have ONE premium package whisky onboard, they're fulfilled their responsibility.  As if it wouldn't matter if Makers Mark was all that was available, but you're a Scotch drinker. Premium whisky? Check. 

Not at all like what I am saying. But being that you said it, yes they have. Back to "take it or leave it."

I'll still take it.  

19 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Conundrum, Elegance and Decoy are all good wines, but truly speaking they are not premium. Whereas, in Celebrity's house they are. Hence, if one is not available, the others are legitimate substitutes. Bring Cherry Pie to the party and all is well. Celebrity is fulfilling its responsibility. One really has no valid complaint even though Conundrum may be the pour of choice. 

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one as working on your principle that none of them are actually premium so any of them will suffice just ends up with 'accept what you are given and be happy' which isn't really the point when the package is sold on the variety of options available.

If they cannot supply the range they advertise then they should provide additional alternatives not just shrink the range. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one as working on your principle that none of them are actually premium so any of them will suffice just ends up with 'accept what you are given and be happy' which isn't really the point when the package is sold on the variety of options available.

If they cannot supply the range they advertise then they should provide additional alternatives not just shrink the range. 

Absolutely agree!

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I am hopeful that this gets sorted out.  I feel like I bought a car with only three wheels.  “Take it or leave it.”

Then there are people like me who would not even notice that the third wheel was missing.  I usually have the PBP, but I do not drink enough to pay for my share at all.  Now, premium water...yes, not to mention trying diffrent drinks.

Edited by Lastdance

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I am hopeful that this gets sorted out.  I feel like I bought a car with only three wheels.  “Take it or leave it.”

There ya go, Z. Now you're gettin' it. Less money spent on new tires, rotation and balance etc. 

Why do I think you would make out just fine? 

By the way, it has been sorted out. The ayes have it.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

OK,my drink of choice is Guinness (or Jameson) on my Silhouette cruise from Southampton in April they had no Guinness (or John Smiths) on board.

What would they substitute for Guinness?

According to the Bar Manager Newcastle Brown is the same as Guinness.

I told him if he doesn’t know the difference between a stout and brown ale he shouldn’t be a Bar Manager.

Thats the reason my next cruises are with Fred Olsen then P&O,,,no more of that Bud,Coors,Red Stipe stuff if Celebrity don’t stock decent beers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As we all know, should you order "Special Selection", "Vintner's Reserve" or "Duckhorn", you will pay quite a bit more $$ above the allotted amount. 

Well, if they’re substituting Opulence chardonnay with random white wine from the classic package, and if they’re substituting Don Julio (pure agave) tequila with “Sierra” (some mixto garbage), and then serving it in a $15 premium package cocktail at the world class bar, then this is a problem. 

22 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

There ya go, Z. Now you're gettin' it. Less money spent on new tires, rotation and balance etc. 

Why do I think you would make out just fine? 

By the way, it has been sorted out. The ayes have it.

Ayes have it?  Ok.  I’ll let Celebrity know that they don’t need to change anything.

8 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

OK,my drink of choice is Guinness (or Jameson) on my Silhouette cruise from Southampton in April they had no Guinness (or John Smiths) on board.

What would they substitute for Guinness?

According to the Bar Manager Newcastle Brown is the same as Guinness.

I told him if he doesn’t know the difference between a stout and brown ale he shouldn’t be a Bar Manager.

Thats the reason my next cruises are with Fred Olsen then P&O,,,no more of that Bud,Coors,Red Stipe stuff if Celebrity don’t stock decent beers.

In all fairness, how many stout lovers are there in every 100 beer drinkers? Whadda ya think? And, what would be a good substitute for you? A coffee stout? A milk stout? An oatmeal stout et al? Kinda difficult and expensive to stock all the options for so few stout drinkers.  

35 minutes ago, Seacrab said:

Well, if they’re substituting Opulence chardonnay with random white wine from the classic package, and if they’re substituting Don Julio (pure agave) tequila with “Sierra” (some mixto garbage), and then serving it in a $15 premium package cocktail at the world class bar, then this is a problem. 

No doubt. Isn't Don Julio, Reposado(my favorite), a special kind of agave nectar?

May I ask, why would you want to be served Don Julio in a mixed drink? But yes, if at no extra charge bring it on in a Margarita.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

I did a NYE cruise on Summit and upgraded to the Premium Drink Package.  My plan was to do Caymus Cabernet and pay the difference, but they had none on board.  They did have Decoy and Conundrum, which were pretty good.

I also noticed that when I ordered "the best French Champagne that my package covers", they were pouring me cheap Prosecco in at least one venue (probably even more, I just didn't see them pour it.).

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

In all fairness, how many stout lovers are there in every 100 beer drinkers? Whadda ya think? And, what would be a good substitute for you? A coffee stout? A milk stout? An oatmeal stout et al? Kinda difficult and expensive to stock all the options for so few stout drinkers.  

I find a porter is a good alternative but not a replacement.

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I also noticed that when I ordered "the best French Champagne that my package covers", they were pouring me cheap Prosecco in at least one venue (probably even more, I just didn't see them pour it.).

I imagine that happens more often than we think. One evening I ordered Decoy and none available and was offered Reservado cabernet from. Chile which I refused. Settled for the Cherry pie pinot which is ok but not great.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nursecruisers couple said:

We paid for the upgrade to premium before the price hike and sail on Friday, June 3rd.  Will we be charged an additional amount or are we all set and “lucky” to have bought in before price increase.  Thank you

lucky lucky, you bought before the upcharge and be glad you did.

8 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

No doubt. Isn't Don Julio, Reposado(my favorite), a special kind of agave nectar?

May I ask, why would you want to be served Don Julio in a mixed drink? But yes, if at no extra charge bring it on in a Margarita.

Well, I won’t drink mixto tequila period, so it doesn’t need to be DJ, but it needs to be pure agave, so even El Jimador would be fine. 

some of the tequila on Beyond was real bottom shelf stuff. The Mexican bartender we spoke to did a stickyness test with it and it was probably 49% fermented corn syrup. Just no.

I guess my primary issue is if you are listing DJ as included in the classic package and then serving garbage in the premium package, it’s easy to feel ripped off

Edited by Seacrab
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Hi 

And how many Dos Equis drinkers are there on a cruise from the UK but Celebrity stocked plenty on my cruise in April.

My mother used to drink milk stout 70 years ago,,Cream Label

My local supermarket sells dark beer but it’s not Guinness.Plenty of them,often called Porter,but I wouldn’t expect Celebrity to stock those.

There is no substitute for Guinness,,,a drink drank worldwide in 130 countries,the USA market being in the top three.

There is a huge Guinness bottling/canning plant in my town,there is no shortage of Guinness in the UK.

ps Guinness has just brought out cans of Coffee Beer.maybe Cafe el Bacio can get a stock.

AE3ECF4B-AC09-4F8A-9B40-93EF33B864D7.jpeg.9deb527096bb4ad5bfcf951df45f6df6.jpeg

No thanks.