New Ship Builds

ropomo

My question actually relates to the new Viking Mississippi but figured those with similar ocean experience might have some insight. The first cruise for the Mississippi is scheduled for June 25, 2022 and we are booked on its third cruise July 9, 2022 (57 days from today). Any guesses as to how early pax might be informed if there is a delay that would result in cancellation of the cruise? Done a lot of searches and the last update I could find on status was the float out a few months ago.

20 minutes ago, ropomo said:

My question actually relates to the new Viking Mississippi but figured those with similar ocean experience might have some insight. The first cruise for the Mississippi is scheduled for June 25, 2022 and we are booked on its third cruise July 9, 2022 (57 days from today). Any guesses as to how early pax might be informed if there is a delay that would result in cancellation of the cruise? Done a lot of searches and the last update I could find on status was the float out a few months ago.

Unfortunately, with shipbuilding there is no definitive date that a shipowner is notified by the yard that the build will be late. Since this is a first built, it could encounter issues during the sea trials, which could prevent the owner from accepting the tonnage. While that is that is highly unlikely, the sea trials can also identify equipment issues, some of which can be long lead items, if they need replaced.

The Mississippi ship has received minimal press releases, so it has been tough to follow.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

While that is that is highly unlikely, the sea trials can also identify equipment issues, some of which can be long lead items, if they need replaced.

Andy, does Viking have a contract for more than one ship?  If so, they can do what all shipyards do in a multi-build, steal the part from the next ship, and so on until the last in class gets all the rejects or delays due to lack of equipment.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Andy, does Viking have a contract for more than one ship?  If so, they can do what all shipyards do in a multi-build, steal the part from the next ship, and so on until the last in class gets all the rejects or delays due to lack of equipment.

With the Mississippi ship, I believe it is a single ship build at this time.

Yes, we have done that a few times. I tied up one of our new Fast Ferries, so the Chief dispatched one of the Engineers to the shipyard, which was less than 10 miles, to get some parts from the ship still building.