On Eclipse, captain Leo just mandated masks indoors

2 hours ago, Wondermouse said:

Vancouver on the 15th. I am not sure of the exact passenger numbers. Maybe someone else can comment. 

Thanks -  I looked at CruiseMapper and it shows you pointed to Vancouver.   Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise. 

We are quite in agreement with the captain on his decision .  We saw mask use increase the last couple of days and it was being encouraged but making it mandatory was a decision they did not take lightly. We are now at the point in our cruise that the weather is too cool to hang outside so the crowd density inside  is going up. And I agree the coughing is very evident now .  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

We were on the April 23rd cruise when my husband, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, contracted Covid-19.  He tested positive on April 30th and was quarantined in an Ocean View stateroom while I remained in our suite.  I asked several staff persons, folks who definitely knew, about the number of covid cases, and the response I received was the "deer in the headlights" look.   I made the assumption they were not free to tell me.  

And when people asked me where my husband was and I told them that he was in a deck 3 quarantine room several responded with a surprised look.  There was no mention of covid cases during Captain Leo's daily announcements.  I thought that omission was a mistake.  People need to know in order to evaluate their own risk.  So I am curious if there has been any announcement during the May 4 cruise regarding the number of covid cases.

While we were scheduled for a B2B we elected to leave the ship on turnaround day.  We  spent the rest of his isolation time followed by additional days in a Honolulu hotel.  So the vacation was salvaged.  The offer was made to allow us to continue with the second leg but at that point he wanted off that ship.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious if you are arriving Vancouver tomorrow?   ....

Jim:  Due to the barnacle issue the Eclipse, even if the officers wanted to do so, can't speed up the ship to arrive before the May 15 scheduled arrival.  Both the April 23 and May 4 cruises had time in Hawaii shortened and a additional sea day added due to the slower speed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

And when people asked me where my husband was and I told them that he was in a deck 3 quarantine room several responded with a surprised look.  There was no mention of covid cases during Captain Leo's daily announcements.  I thought that omission was a mistake.  People need to know in order to evaluate their own risk. 

We sailed the Edge Transatlantic April 22-May 6. Captain Costas gave Covid counts in his daily announcements. “In the interest of transparency” were his exact words. I appreciated his gesture. 

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Wondermouse said:

We were glad to see him do it. The amount of people coughing on the ship was/is large. 

So it was on the Solstice. No announcements about cases or any masks mandated, however I started wearing one mid-cruise for just that reason.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Homestyle said:

Not great, it's a long way to come to Alaska from the UK for this. We'll consider cancelling and stay nearer to home and sail in the med 😞

We did a staycation cruise last year with masks. Honestly no issue. However, Alaska is a long way to fly. We have  concerns this year about taking a long haul flight then testing positive before our cruise and missing it, hence we have booked a cruise from Southampton this October. Pictures from UK airports do not inspire confidence either. Those long queues in such confined spaces.

Masks wouldn’t put me off cruising, if they are reintroduced fleet wide before our cruise I would welcome it. If they are not we will be wearing them when boarding, in lifts, busy areas etc.

Alaska is a wonderful destination…Even if you do not feel comfortable doing it this year leave it on your ‘to do’ list.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were on the April 23rd cruise when my husband, who is fully vaccinated and boosted, contracted Covid-19.  He tested positive on April 30th and was quarantined in an Ocean View stateroom while I remained in our suite.  I asked several staff persons, folks who definitely knew, about the number of covid cases, and the response I received was the "deer in the headlights" look.   I made the assumption they were not free to tell me.  

And when people asked me where my husband was and I told them that he was in a deck 3 quarantine room several responded with a surprised look.  There was no mention of covid cases during Captain Leo's daily announcements.  I thought that omission was a mistake.  People need to know in order to evaluate their own risk.  So I am curious if there has been any announcement during the May 4 cruise regarding the number of covid cases.

While we were scheduled for a B2B we elected to leave the ship on turnaround day.  We  spent the rest of his isolation time followed by additional days in a Honolulu hotel.  So the vacation was salvaged.  The offer was made to allow us to continue with the second leg but at that point he wanted off that ship.

Jim:  Due to the barnacle issue the Eclipse, even if the officers wanted to do so, can't speed up the ship to arrive before the May 15 scheduled arrival.  Both the April 23 and May 4 cruises had time in Hawaii shortened and a additional sea day added due to the slower speed.

She's looking on schedule on Cruisemapper and currently at 16 knots.  

I wasn't expecting her to arrive early but looking at the map she looked like a day out and the details on CruiseMapper were incorrect showing the arrival into Kona instead of Vancouver for the destination.

22 hours ago, 5waldos said:

I feel sorry for him having to do that- it will NOT make him a popular person. But it is comforting to know that the Captains will take that step if necessary. 

yup captain taking charge of situations is nice to hear.

I think masking should still be mandatory in doors for at least a few more months IMHO

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BEAV said:

We sailed the Edge Transatlantic April 22-May 6. Captain Costas gave Covid counts in his daily announcements. “In the interest of transparency” were his exact words. I appreciated his gesture. 

Debarked Millennium 10 nt Pacific Coastal yesterday and Capt Pierre made no mention of the dreaded “C” word nor if anyone was quarantined even though Deck 2 had a Red Zone sign.  We were in the less than 1% masked.  Would have appreciated the transparency.  Lots of coughing by the end of the cruise and one couple posted positive tests after debark and are asymptomatic, so we know it existed onboard…

14 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Debarked Millennium 10 nt Pacific Coastal yesterday and Capt Pierre made no mention of the dreaded “C” word nor if anyone was quarantined even though Deck 2 had a Red Zone sign.  We were in the less than 1% masked.  Would have appreciated the transparency.  Lots of coughing by the end of the cruise and one couple posted positive tests after debark and are asymptomatic, so we know it existed onboard…

You would have appreciated the captain annoying people on a daily basis with a matter that isn't really relevant on board the ship? I don't get why people feel a need of following constant Covid updates, especially on their cruise. Not like it won't make any difference other than spoiling your vacation.

We caught Millennium pull out of Victoria on Thursday as Solstice docked and I saw her yesterday in Vancouver going on the first Alaska voyage. Decks were almost empty, was it really such a light cruise?

Edited by Fly and Sail

12 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

I’ve been on cruises pre-Covid where coughing progressed throughout the voyage and ended up getting sick. Covid has just further highlighted the perils of being in enclosed spaces (including planes, buses, theaters) with sick people. Masks are going to be part of my wardrobe for some kind to come. I’m glad that I made a bunch of fun patterned ones to wear over the KN95.

4 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

You would have appreciated the captain annoying people on a daily basis with a matter that isn't really relevant on board the ship? I don't get why people feel a need of following constant Covid updates, especially on their cruise. Not like it won't make any difference other than spoiling your vacation.

We caught Millennium pull out of Victoria on Thursday as Solstice docked and I saw her yesterday in Vancouver going on the first Alaska voyage. Decks were almost empty, was it really such a light cruise?

How is it not relevant? 

There clearly are people who believe that basic protocols don’t apply to them and perhaps being nagged incessantly with data to support the nagging  would make them throw up their hands and comply. I’ve gotten a little sloppy in my people-avoiding protocols but would reinstate them i full force if there were enough cases to lower the odds of testing positive before boarding my flight home to the US. 

On Crown Princess (which we dubbed Noro Princess because it seemed to be embedded in the ship), the Captain’s noon report included the ebb and flow of cases and he took the opportunity to exhort us to wash our hands. Yes, it was gross to hear the vomit/diarrhea report right before lunch, but having watched DH go down with Noro, it was a lot easier to take than that.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, critterchick said:

How is it not relevant? 

There clearly are people who believe that basic protocols don’t apply to them and perhaps being nagged incessantly with data to support the nagging  would make them throw up their hands and comply. I’ve gotten a little sloppy in my people-avoiding protocols but would reinstate them i full force if there were enough cases to lower the odds of testing positive before boarding my flight home to the US.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. There is no such protocol in effect. Masks are NOT REQUIRED on board per company policy until the captain says so, based on the current number of infections.

As such I don't see the point of them announcing Covid stuff on a daily basis. Not what I want to hear on my holiday unless there is a pressing reason for it. At that point I trust the Captain and ship management to make whatever decision they feel is necessary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

THIS just baffles me and is unacceptable. As a loyal Celebrity guest (usually Retreat) I refuse to sail with them until this quarantining in inside/oceanview rooms stops. Depriving people of fresh air from a balcony while unable to leave the cabin is ridiculous. After reading Jim's ordeal with how he was treated just sealed it for me. 

Edited by WNcruiser
  • Like 2

A quick question for those posting from the Eclipse -- is Captain Leo, or anyone else for that matter, mentioning the number of positive cases?

When we were on the April 23rd cruise and my husband developed covid I thought it was a mistake not to mention that there were cases onboard.  While they don't have to drone on and on about covid transparency is important.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, critterchick said:

I’ve gotten a little sloppy in my people-avoiding protocols but would reinstate them i full force if there were enough cases to lower the odds of testing positive before boarding my flight home to the US. 

Curious and honest question:

What is the number of ‘enough cases’ where you would reinstate your people avoidance protocol?