Does Arvia have a library ?

GOQ

Hi

Does anyone know if Arvia has a library.

I quite enjoyed the library on Iona, however checking  the deck plans for Arvia I can see no mention of a library.

Iona lists Anderson's Bar and Library, Arvia just lists Anderson's Bar despite the deck 6 plans of the Bar area being identical. 

Is this is typo or has Arvia really not got a library.

Paul 

3 hours ago, Clodia said:

A  ship without a Library? Hardly qualifies as a cruise ship!

I wonder if the same people that complain about the buffet being a breading ground for germs, also use the ships library, but don't worry about whose dirty hands last read the book?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder if the same people that complain about the buffet being a breading ground for germs, also use the ships library, but don't worry about whose dirty hands last read the book?

Always a good idea to gel hands before entering the library, (if indeed there is one ) something we have always done everywhere on the ship even pre, pandemic, can't say it does much for the state of your hands after two weeks (or more) but if it keeps nasties away its worth it  

Libraries have got less important (like reduction in size on Britannia) due I expect to number of tablet readers in use nowadays. Personally, I like a book but take a couple with me. On Ventura book covers were sanitised before being locked in bookcases. No browsing allowed, just point at book you wanted. Not very practical!

Totally agree ,not practical , we were lucky as what looked like a good read from the title mostly turned out to be true, we too took some books with us but due to the high amount of sea days we had to avail ourselves of the library, and were grateful it was there, as were lots and lots of others

15 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I was quite impressed with the size of library in Andersons bar on Iona, quite a good selection and freely available. On Ventura they are locked away behind glass and you have to ask for a specific book  to be "released". I suppose that might overcome the hygiene arguments against a library, the books can be fumigated between lending.  🥵

23 hours ago, Clodia said:

A  ship without a Library? Hardly qualifies as a cruise ship!

Hmmmm. I may well be very wrong but I would imagine that cruise ships with a library are now in the minority...🤔

14 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Certainly most of the American ones

Definitely Celebrity. On our recent cruise on Reflection there were a handful of ships books but a lot of guests (me included) left the paperbacks they brought with them. Sanitising wipes were provided to clean the covers. 

7 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Definitely Celebrity. On our recent cruise on Reflection there were a handful of ships books but a lot of guests (me included) left the paperbacks they brought with them. Sanitising wipes were provided to clean the covers. 

Same on HAL , handful of paperbacks but they had to be left on ship and were obviously what previous passengers had left

• 8 months later...

Having been onboard what I saw was Anderson’s has a display cabinet with board games and books however the books are the large “mostly for display” kind you often see in hotel rooms on the table. I didn’t notice novels etc. but didn’t spend much time in Anderson’s, it had a strange vibe.

People were leaving books around but none in the area of the games .I think as more people go on the ship the books will be available . On the last day the entertainment guy organising the departure  (which was a joke )  was collecting used items like sun cream and deodorants and books 

On 5/15/2022 at 8:15 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Public Health England says in guidelines for libraries,  the chance of transmission from a book that has been quarantine for 24hrs is negligible 

when we reopened following covid closure, we quarantined books for 72 hours just to be absolutely sure. 

I do love a library on a ship though I have to fight the urge to shelve properly  🤣

• Like 2

There is a bookcase for effectively display purposes only.  I did notice a book exchange table that as soon as a book was there it was gone.  Such a shame as a library on a fly cruise would be so useful.  Books are on sale on the shop with a number of varied titles and themes. 

I have a answer on this one - at present there is officially no library on Arvia. Therefore P&O are not furnishing it with a large range of books.  I think the hope is that it will become more of a book exchange with people leaving books at the end of the cruise and then they will slowly get added.

I think its acknowledged that its not in the right place on Arvia. However Andersons was redesigned to fit the high working tables (which have plug points) for those who want to stay connected.