Repricing Existing Booking with a New Promotion

Avid Travel Geek

I tried this twice already with a booking that I made directly with Princess online. When a new promotion comes out, I price the exact same category online, which comes lower than what I originally booked. But when I call or chat with Princess and give them the promo code, they aren't able to apply it to my existing booking. It has a refundable deposit so I just don't understand why they just can't reprice it like I have been able to do with Royal, Celebrity, and HAL. They can bring the price lower but not as low and with the same perks (onboard credit) as the promotion (Festive Days). There is nothing in the terms that states it only applies to new bookings. Anyone know how this works?

If it is before final payment date we always canceled the original booking and then re-booked under the new promo. We always did this via a travel agent and not directly on line. The TA was always able to re-apply the FCDs and retain the same cabin. When you do it on line without human interaction you may not be able to accomplish the same.

1 hour ago, Avid Travel Geek said:

I tried this twice already with a booking that I made directly with Princess online. When a new promotion comes out, I price the exact same category online, which comes lower than what I originally booked. But when I call or chat with Princess and give them the promo code, they aren't able to apply it to my existing booking. It has a refundable deposit so I just don't understand why they just can't reprice it like I have been able to do with Royal, Celebrity, and HAL. They can bring the price lower but not as low and with the same perks (onboard credit) as the promotion (Festive Days). There is nothing in the terms that states it only applies to new bookings. Anyone know how this works?

Some things to be aware of:

You cannot self-cancel a cruise booking - even if you made it yourself.  Princess rep has to cancel it.

Next, if you covered the deposit with FCD's, login to Princess.com and make sure the FCD's are not expired.  If they are, then make sure the Princess rep extends the expiry date before cancelling the booking.  If you have booked EZ-Air flights, then they will be cancelled out if the booking is cancelled.

It requires some special handling to preserve what you have now.  That said, switching to a new rate promo code for a lower price means you lose any on-board perks that came with the old fare, but you get whatever comes with the new fare.  Make sure net-net you are ahead after the new rate is applied. 

SOMETIMES, the right person at Princess can and will do a re-fare and you keep existing confirmation number - rather than a cancel/re-book.

Finally, there should be no reason at all you cannot book a new promo rate code as long as you can shop it and see it on Princess.com.  I'd be asking the rep why it is not applicable to you.  Give them the exact promo rate code if you know it (3 letters/numbers). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Avid Travel Geek said:

Even the Princess CVP sometimes can refare but there are times that she has to rebook a new booking, wipe out all my DMY reservations.  What can you do?

• Like 1

We had this issue recently.  It was before final payment so figured it would be a simple request.  Wrong.  Hours on the phone, multiple agents, dropped calls and ultimately the conclusion being "nope, cannot do it".  Very frustrating.  We finally tried the PVP assigned to us (first time ever using one) and she had it sorted quickly. If you have one assigned, I'd try that route.  The general princess phone # agents were useless!

16 hours ago, Jmox84 said:

We had this issue recently.  It was before final payment so figured it would be a simple request.  Wrong.  Hours on the phone, multiple agents, dropped calls and ultimately the conclusion being "nope, cannot do it".  Very frustrating.  We finally tried the PVP assigned to us (first time ever using one) and she had it sorted quickly. If you have one assigned, I'd try that route.  The general princess phone # agents were useless!

My PVP has done this in the past several times for me... kept my airfare, rebooked cabin at a lower price. My new PVP "cannot do this". I lost out on a great price drop. Needless to say not happy with my ne PVP.

22 hours ago, Avid Travel Geek said:

What I do if I see a lower fare is book it in a cabin as close as possible to what I have - one I would be happy with if I had to take it.  I do a courtesy hold and send an email off to my CVP.  Most times they have been able to match or better it.  However, you have to be happy with whatever OBC etc is available on the new booking.  

I agree Celebrity is much more likely to give you a price adjustment or OBC after final payment than Princess has been recently.  Even though they are a bit more money they are becoming very attractive.

Be advised that if you refare to a new promotion you may lose perks that you had on the original booking and if you have Princess Plus you will have to pay the new pricing (an extra u$10 per day)

I very often find I see the lower price but by the time my TA « calls Princess » she comes back to me that the price has increased. Strange. I maybe will do a booking with courtesy hold.