What really happens if I test positive and can't fly back to US from Vancouver?

I'm still on the fence about whether to go on my Princess cruise to Alaska departing in less than a month (yes I have insurance but would probably end up losing some $ or flight points...).  I've built in a buffer day so I disembark in Vancouver and then have a whole day to see the city before flying the next day from V airport around noon.  So, I'm planning to do the at home test with the online proctor from my hotel the morning of the free day.  What if I test positive?  I'm assuming I have a 10 day quarantine in Vancouver and probably not in the Pan Pacific where I've booked.  After I'd tell the hotel staff what would happen?  I'm going to do everything I can to not get sick but you never know and I want to be prepared.  Thanks.

It happened to many Canadians who went to Florida over the Christmas break. They had to wait until 10 days after a positive per test and pay for all their own accommodations and food and new plane tickets, so quite expensive. Edited to say, you can probably stay at pan pacific, maybe they’ll give you an extended stay rate. 

Edited by familycruzinnewbie
  • Like 1

Technically, if you test after the cruise disembarkation, you're no longer under Federal rules and instead obey those of the Province. That means a 5 day, rather than 10 day, self-isolation period (NB: AT LEAST 5 days, you must also be free of fever, any symptoms of Covid that came on when you had it, and then be somewhat vaguely 'feeling better'! So for example if you have allergies, or had a cold pre-Covid that left you with a niggling cough, you don't have to be free of all possible Covid symptoms, the fever is the only one specifically noted).

You are legally obliged to follow the guidelines, but unlike if you were +ve on the ship there's no longer any formal follow-up happening here in BC, no official 'report your case to X' etc. The main issue for you would thus not be the 'quarantine' but the requirement to meet US standards before you are allowed to fly home again - still 10 days and symptom free unless those rules have changed since I last checked... so in theory you could have a pleasant 5 days in BC, able to move around, sightsee etc. So if you hopped on a bus or rented a car, you could perfectly-legally cross the land border on Day 6 if you felt better.

In terms of where to self-isolate, that's up to you to arrange - you'd technically be in trouble if you concealed your +ve status, and the recommendation is that you stay put as soon as you are aware you are +ve unless that exposes some vulnerable people, so if your post-cruise stay is at the PP then that's where you should stay. But if they kick you out you are allowed to find new digs - minimizing your contact with any other people, being masked at all times etc. etc. We have no official 'quarantine hotels' any more, very few hard & fast rules though a fair few guidelines, most relevant for you is you should aim to have food delivered (with a contactless drop at the door) rather than going anywhere. Seeking medical treatment or another emergency of course you're allowed to go outside for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read this article and it is quite recent, on her true quarantine experience in Vancouver, BC. She decided to not take advantage of her "press" privileges or of Princess, so she could relate a "normal person" experience. It is very informative... in other words, have two or more credit cards with you with lots of new spending room.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-covid-isolation-hotel/

On 5/16/2022 at 5:59 AM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'm still on the fence about whether to go on my Princess cruise to Alaska departing in less than a month (yes I have insurance but would probably end up losing some $ or flight points...).  I've built in a buffer day so I disembark in Vancouver and then have a whole day to see the city before flying the next day from V airport around noon.  So, I'm planning to do the at home test with the online proctor from my hotel the morning of the free day.  What if I test positive?  I'm assuming I have a 10 day quarantine in Vancouver and probably not in the Pan Pacific where I've booked.  After I'd tell the hotel staff what would happen?  I'm going to do everything I can to not get sick but you never know and I want to be prepared.  Thanks.

The rules are always changing but I don't believe they apply to land crossing into the US.  You could take a bus from Vancouver into Seattle and fly back from there.  

• 1 month later...

You don’t need to test to enter the US. BUT- if you test and are positive it would be quite unethical to board a plane or a bus. So- unless you are feeling poorly- what are the ethics of not testing just to avoid a silent positive. Hm… don’t know.