Sleeping arrangements for almost 2 year old: two staterooms?

ambeezie

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am struggling to find a way to "search" under the forum to find this family cruise section successfully, so forgive me. 

My hubby and I are experienced cruisers but have never gone with kids in tow. 

We will have two staterooms: 1 balcony + 1 interior, which is directly across. It will be myself, DH  13 y/o son and the almost 2 y/o son. 

I was wondering if it would make sense to use a toddler rail on one of the twins in the interior with the teen and a baby monitor (non-WIFI, which we will bring), or use the travel crib/pack and play? Sailing on Carnival Panorama this month! 

We have traveled with babe before sharing a room and have had mixed success (younger, he stayed in pack n play, at a little over 1 year old he refused on a short trip and had to bring into bed with us, making it a miserable night 😞

I am nervous about letting him sleep in another room, although he will be with his teen sibling, with a monitor and we of course, have the keys.

If possible, would like to take advantage of my interior stateroom to have some privacy with husband....

Should I do:

1. in the interior stateroom across the hall on the other twin with bumpers with the teen (and baby monitor)

2. in the pack and play with the teen (and baby monitor)

3. room with us (in pack and play)

4. room with us (on the sofa? not sure how flex sofa is, is not a sofabed in this room)

5. in our bed (please, God, no!!!)

Help! pros and cons?? please keep it real with me

Edited by ambeezie

• ambeezie changed the title to Sleeping arrangements for almost 2 year old: two staterooms?
19 hours ago, ambeezie said:

a baby monitor (non-WIFI, which we will bring)

I've heard baby monitors may not work because of all the metal walls (too much interference).

Is the teen ok with the toddler sleeping in his room? I know a lot of adults/older kids with the same difference in age (11 years) who were used as free babysitters all the time... They resented it. I am not judging - I am just asking. Heck, I'd put everyone in the same room to begin with.

Perhaps, mom and toddler in one room (two twins or one queen), and dad and ODS in another would work if the teen doesn't want to share a cabin with a cranky toddler (and let's face it - some of them could be quite cranky at that age and in unfamiliar circumstances. Perhaps, the teen will like to roam around the ship with new friends instead of staying in the room with the toddler.

If your balcony room has a sofa, it would be a viable alternative for a toddler to sleep on. "Oh, look, a big bed for a big boy, just like your brother." I am not familiar with the Carnival ship, but other cruise line's balcony rooms always have a sofa. If my big 8 yo can fit on one without unrolling it, a 2 yo could definitely fit. We had to prop him with a chair, though.

P.S. I too could never sleep with our kid in our bed. Ever.

• Like 1

All Panorama balconies will have a couch.  It’s not always a sofa bed, although it is the same couch that is in cabins not designated for three or four.  Unless you are in a suite, it will not be a foldout couch.  They put a pad on it and make up with bedding.  EM

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I've heard baby monitors may not work because of all the metal walls (too much interference).

Is the teen ok with the toddler sleeping in his room? I know a lot of adults/older kids with the same difference in age (11 years) who were used as free babysitters all the time... They resented it. I am not judging - I am just asking. Heck, I'd put everyone in the same room to begin with.

Perhaps, mom and toddler in one room (two twins or one queen), and dad and ODS in another would work if the teen doesn't want to share a cabin with a cranky toddler (and let's face it - some of them could be quite cranky at that age and in unfamiliar circumstances. Perhaps, the teen will like to roam around the ship with new friends instead of staying in the room with the toddler.

If your balcony room has a sofa, it would be a viable alternative for a toddler to sleep on. "Oh, look, a big bed for a big boy, just like your brother." I am not familiar with the Carnival ship, but other cruise line's balcony rooms always have a sofa. If my big 8 yo can fit on one without unrolling it, a 2 yo could definitely fit. We had to prop him with a chair, though.

P.S. I too could never sleep with our kid in our bed. Ever.

Thank you for this feedback!

I don't want to make our teen feel like he is babysitting for sure!

The room arrangements would only happen at night, but I don't want to think he was "in charge" which is why I was hoping monitor would work.... sounds like maybe a no! 

The teen shares with siblings at home at times, so this would not be a new phenomenon, but his other sibling is now a little older, certainly not a baby now.  On vacation last year all 4 of us shared a suite with him on pullout. It worked then but baby was younger. 

I am definitely ok with keeping babe with us on the sofa or a P&P. our balcony only sleeps 2 officially,  but has a non-bed sofa.

would stewards/cabin staff have a problem making up the sofa with that in mind? 

22 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

All Panorama balconies will have a couch.  It’s not always a sofa bed, although it is the same couch that is in cabins not designated for three or four.  Unless you are in a suite, it will not be a foldout couch.  They put a pad on it and make up with bedding.  EM

This balcony sleeps 2, so not a sofa bed. Do you think they would still be amenable to making like a bed for us?

9 minutes ago, ambeezie said:

I am definitely ok with keeping babe with us on the sofa or a P&P. our balcony only sleeps 2 officially,  but has a non-bed sofa.

would stewards/cabin staff have a problem making up the sofa with that in mind? 

I don't see why not. All you need is a sheet and a pillow... You can even do it yourself - there is always extra bedding in the cabin.

We were in an inside cabin with a sofa bed on the Allure in 2019. DS was 8 (and a big boy). I found that I couldn't pass by the sofa bed when it was open to get to the bathroom, so DS slept on the sofa as is. He fell off the first night, so we propped him up with a chair after that, and he didn't fall off again. He never falls off a normal width bed, even a pullman bed.

Thankfully, Harmony had a different type of a sofa bed and it was by the balcony anyway, so not in the way. Even I had no problem sleeping on it.

4 hours ago, ambeezie said:

He goes to bed about 9. Wow, really? I don't mind my teen being up late but as a younger teen I want him in his room not wandering the boat solo. Were you all up late?

My husband usually was, although my kids are close in age and the older ones would watch out for the younger ones, and most ended up at the pool deck (cabins were off limits). Only once did someone miss curfew, my 14 year daughter was in the game room and lost track of time. Curfew at home was closer to 11.

We just did a cruise with 2 connecting interiors on Royal and our baby monitor worked. Not so sure that it would work across the hallway though. The thing is have they slept in the same room at all lately? Everyone makes their own noises and what not as they sleep so will they just wake up each other,  or more likely your teen waking up the little one?

Also what about the waking up in the morning side of things? Is your little one up at the crack of dawn and your teen sleeping in?

You could always just do it each way some nights so that the teen can get a break or you guys can get a break. 

We love using a balcony as our private space with a little one sleeping inside. As some have said sure they can sleep on the couch but you might have to prop them up so they don't fall off since you won't be able to have bumpers. We put up a shower curtain around the couch or pack n play to cordain off the space so we get a bit more privacy too.

• 1 year later...