2 tests to board in Athens?

kristapb

I just completed online checkin for my June 4 Athens to Ravenna (Venice) cruise, and a popup tells me we have to bring test results from a test within the last day, and ALSO take a complimentary test prior to boarding!  Has anyone else gotten this?  Nor a problem for us, but surprising.

It was accompanied by pictures, but I switched to plain text as it took up too much room.

Be ready to board

Review our health and safety protocols.

Vaccination Requirement

All guests must be fully vaccinated and boosted to sail with Azamara. Vaccinated guests must bring their original COVID-19 vaccination record card. Minors of any age who are not vaccinated will not be allowed to sail.

Health protocols

Pre-Arrival Testing Guests will be welcome to embark after presenting proof of a negative COVID-19 test at the embarkation port. Negative test results must be from a test laboratory or a licensed testing site. At-home or self-testing kits without a test certificate are not accepted. Guests without proof of a negative COVID-19 test may purchase an antigen test at the embarkation port for $59 USD or a PCR test for $85 USD. Be sure to look into local health authority or government travel advice regarding any requirements for the country/port of embarkation, as well as requirements for the return to your own home country. For more information, please use available travel platforms such as Travel Sherpa.

Departure Testing

All guests 6 months and older are required to take an antigen test 24 hours before debarkation conducted by the onboard medical staff. Registration details will be provided onboard.

Sail day testing

All guests must complete a complimentary antigen test for COVID-19 at the terminal prior to boarding. It's important to register for this test before you arrive. Registration details will be emailed in advance.

3 minutes ago, kristapb said:

I just completed online checkin for my June 4 Athens to Ravenna (Venice) cruise, and a popup tells me we have to bring test results from a test within the last day, and ALSO take a complimentary test prior to boarding!  Has anyone else gotten this?  Nor a problem for us, but surprising.

It was accompanied by pictures, but I switched to plain text as it took up too much room.

Be ready to board

Review our health and safety protocols.

Vaccination Requirement

All guests must be fully vaccinated and boosted to sail with Azamara. Vaccinated guests must bring their original COVID-19 vaccination record card. Minors of any age who are not vaccinated will not be allowed to sail.

Health protocols

Pre-Arrival Testing Guests will be welcome to embark after presenting proof of a negative COVID-19 test at the embarkation port. Negative test results must be from a test laboratory or a licensed testing site. At-home or self-testing kits without a test certificate are not accepted. Guests without proof of a negative COVID-19 test may purchase an antigen test at the embarkation port for $59 USD or a PCR test for $85 USD. Be sure to look into local health authority or government travel advice regarding any requirements for the country/port of embarkation, as well as requirements for the return to your own home country. For more information, please use available travel platforms such as Travel Sherpa.

Departure Testing

All guests 6 months and older are required to take an antigen test 24 hours before debarkation conducted by the onboard medical staff. Registration details will be provided onboard.

Sail day testing

All guests must complete a complimentary antigen test for COVID-19 at the terminal prior to boarding. It's important to register for this test before you arrive. Registration details will be emailed in advance.

Seems to me that there are contradictions in Azamara's communication. I don't think there are complimentary tests! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I have boarded in Athens today. You do need one antigen test within one day of boarding. Easy to get in pharmacies in Athens. Cost varies. Some have paid 5 Euro, others 8 Euro. I have paid 7 Euro. 
Ivi

Was your test within 24 hours, or anytime the day before?

Some one posted on another thread that their PCR was rejected at todays embarkation because it wasn’t within 24 hrs.

5 hours ago, uktraveller said:

Was your test within 24 hours, or anytime the day before?

Some one posted on another thread that their PCR was rejected at todays embarkation because it wasn’t within 24 hrs.

I hope that was followed up with senior crew on board, as a negative PCR within the three days before boarding should have been accepted according to recent information from Azamara.

If they have yet again changed requirements, that should have been very clearly communicated prior to one's arrival to board!

15 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

I hope that was followed up with senior crew on board, as a negative PCR within the three days before boarding should have been accepted according to recent information from Azamara.

If they have yet again changed requirements, that should have been very clearly communicated prior to one's arrival to board!

When I booked this cruise, I accepted that to board, I needed to take their complimentary antigen test on arrival. Approximately 3 weeks ago, they sent an email stating they want to charge for what was free, but the charge could be avoided if I organised the test myself, which could be a PCR 3 days prior to boarding or 24 hours for an antigen. 

I rather suspect that if a 2 day old PCR was rejected was because the person dealing doesn't understand what a PCR is, or just ignorant of the requirements. The only exception could be if it was mail order test, where the sample wasn't supervised. 

I just hope it wasn't a shakedown to get people to pay the rip off charge that wasn't needed 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Well, I got in to edit the above, but by the time I had added the following, I was unable to complete the edit!

** Additional information :

I have just read on another thread that several people were "caught out" when presenting their negative PCR results.

The test within 24 hours is the Greek Government's requirement and the RAT test was done by Azamara free of charge.

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, les37b said:

When I booked this cruise, I accepted that to board, I needed to take their complimentary antigen test on arrival. Approximately 3 weeks ago, they sent an email stating they want to charge for what was free, but the charge could be avoided if I organised the test myself, which could be a PCR 3 days prior to boarding or 24 hours for an antigen. 

I rather suspect that if a 2 day old PCR was rejected was because the person dealing doesn't understand what a PCR is, or just ignorant of the requirements. The only exception could be if it was mail order test, where the sample wasn't supervised. 

I just hope it wasn't a shakedown to get people to pay the rip off charge that wasn't needed 

It was not a rip off as I discovered on another thread - see my subsequent post, as unable to complete the edit in time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

It was not a rip off as I discovered on another thread - see my subsequent post, as unable to complete the edit in time.

Thanks for the cost update.

I'm a little surprised at the suggestion it was a Greek requirement. Obviously different countries have different stipulations. My upcoming one out of Portugal, I understand there are issues with certificate acceptance from Canadians, so this may be a similar situation.

From the UK website there is no requirement for a test to enter.

From 1 May, passengers arriving in Greece are no longer required to show a proof of COVID vaccination, a negative COVID test, or a certificate of recovery from COVID. You no longer need to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF). Travellers are still required to wear a protective masks in all indoor spaces, including aircraft.

So I wonder if the rejection may have been a specific country with different needs. I long shot, but can't figure any other explanation. One thing is sure we don't know all the facts.

BTW, what's a RAT test? I'm assuming an autocorrect for PCR?

What clouds it even more - Azamara are doing Antigen tests and if you say results were back in 15 minutes, it wasn't a PCR.

Edited by les37b

20 minutes ago, les37b said:

Thanks for the cost update.

I'm a little surprised at the suggestion it was a Greek requirement. Obviously different countries have different stipulations. My upcoming one out of Portugal, I understand there are issues with certificate acceptance from Canadians, so this may be a similar situation.

From the UK website there is no requirement for a test to enter.

From 1 May, passengers arriving in Greece are no longer required to show a proof of COVID vaccination, a negative COVID test, or a certificate of recovery from COVID. You no longer need to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF). Travellers are still required to wear a protective masks in all indoor spaces, including aircraft.

So I wonder if the rejection may have been a specific country with different needs. I long shot, but can't figure any other explanation. One thing is sure we don't know all the facts.

BTW, what's a RAT test? I'm assuming an autocorrect for PCR?

What clouds it even more - Azamara are doing Antigen tests and if you say results were back in 15 minutes, it wasn't a PCR.

Rapid Antigen Test = RAT "down under." 🙃

I have not been able to find the requirement written in Azamara's Travel Advisory link to country requirements for Greece.

Nor have I been able to find the requirement for the port of Piraeus.

Edited by Baynanno1

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Rapid Antigen Test = RAT "down under." 🙃

I have not been able to find the requirement written in Azamara's Travel Advisory link to country requirements for Greece.

Nor have I been able to find the requirement for the port of Piraeus.

Ok, well you learn something new every day.  So antigen is a RAT... Is the acronym PCR the same for you for the alternative testing method? I remember having a similar private discussion with a US doctor over antigen, which in the UK we referred to as lateral flow. He had no idea what that was!

Anyway, I doubt Azamara has been singled out in Piraeus for special extra requirements regarding tests and boarding a cruise ship. There may be a plausible explanation why those PCR weren't accepted, I just doubt it was related to the Greek authorities, though happy to learn something new. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, travelberlin said:

I have boarded in Athens today. You do need one antigen test within one day of boarding. Easy to get in pharmacies in Athens. Cost varies. Some have paid 5 Euro, others 8 Euro. I have paid 7 Euro. 
Ivi

Did you just walk in and get it done or did you have to make an appointment ?

56 minutes ago, Mrmatt said:

Is PCR not acceptable then within 3 days?

In case you have not read the whole of this thread - several cruisers who arrived with Azamara's requisite PCR tests did not have those results accepted in Piraeus.

Nobody seems to know quite why that happened, as the experience was well outside the posted Azamara requirements, as well as the current Greek Government requirements.

Perhaps one of those people affected may have elicited a reason?

If I was boarding a cruise in Piraeus at the moment, I would have a RAT / lateral flow / antigen test within 24 hours of boarding, rather than go to the expense of a PCR that well may not be accepted by the Greek testers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, suewheldon said:

This came out today. 
DFF87687-9D75-4946-B405-00EEB046291B.thumb.png.8112865250d95fefa37b054198fffbf3.png

Finally a clear definition of "within three days" so where was this message from the Azamara Team posted and does it have a date stamp as to when it is valid? Thanks.

16 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

In case you have not read the whole of this thread - several cruisers who arrived with Azamara's requisite PCR tests did not have those results accepted in Piraeus.

Nobody seems to know quite why that happened, as the experience was well outside the posted Azamara requirements, as well as the current Greek Government requirements.

Perhaps one of those people affected may have elicited a reason?

If I was boarding a cruise in Piraeus at the moment, I would have a RAT / lateral flow / antigen test within 24 hours of boarding, rather than go to the expense of a PCR that well may not be accepted by the Greek testers.

Thanks. Very helpful. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mrmatt said:

Thanks. Very helpful. 

Mrmatt… we are booked on the Journey sailing from Athens on the 26th.  We have cancelled our (expensive) PCR test appointment and decided to go for an antigen in Athens the day before for 2 reasons…

Firstly, someone posted last week that their 72 PCR was not accepted on the May 17th Pursuit departure from Athens because it was older than 24 hrs, quoting Greek government guidelines.

Secondly, there is a very clear statement on the Princess website specific to Greece departures which says, because of Greek government guidelines,  both PCR or antigen tests must be dated on the day before departure. 

That was enough to convince us that an antigen test in Athens is the way to go. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uktraveller said:

Mrmatt… we are booked on the Journey sailing from Athens on the 26th.  We have cancelled our (expensive) PCR test appointment and decided to go for an antigen in Athens the day before for 2 reasons…

Firstly, someone posted last week that their 72 PCR was not accepted on the May 17th Pursuit departure from Athens because it was older than 24 hrs, quoting Greek government guidelines.

Secondly, there is a very clear statement on the Princess website specific to Greece departures which says, because of Greek government guidelines,  both PCR or antigen tests must be dated on the day before departure. 

That was enough to convince us that an antigen test in Athens is the way to go. 

Thanks. This is helpful.  We will get tested in Athens prior to boarding day.