European pre and post packages?

Treasure Hunter

I just booked Connie for my family next June. Leaving from Athens and returning from Venice(Ravenna) and we would like to come in two days early and stay two days so we can see both ports. I cannot find any hotel/transfer packages even if I look at this years cruises. I called and was told that I couldn’t book hotels unless I already had flights( catch 22). I don’t want to book flights unless I have a package because of the long complicated transfers and the testing requirements. On Princess I was always able to look up the cruise hotels in advance and decide. I plan to book  our own  flights as I want non-stop business. And we have tons of miles from the last two years of non travel.  Any input would be very much appreciated . Has anyone already taken a European cruise and tested through Celebrity for return to the US? How about if you wanted to stay in Venice two nights at the end of the cruise? This is a big present for my granddaughters high school graduation. Thanks

It's too early to book flights or hotels for next June. Very easy to do this DIY with a little research or hire a travel agent to do the planning. I wouldn't even put testing on the radar. You are 13 months out. The City Stay packages in my cruise planner are currently around $2,400 total for a two night pre-stay, tours and transfers in Rome. I'm confident I can pull that off for a fraction of their cost while doing things on my own terms. 

I can only echo the poster above. There is no need to book a package through the cruise line -- every time I've priced a package in Europe they've been at least double what I could arrange on my own. I also find that I prefer to choose my own hotel -- often the cruise lines pick larger hotels that are farther from the city center, making it difficult to walk around and do anything on your own.

There is plenty of info in travel guide books and online -- and in particular check out the Ports of Call boards here. For example there are detailed hotel recommendations for most embarkation/disembarkation ports.

No one know what requirements for testing will be 13 months from now. Hopefully none.

If things are the same next June as they are today Celebrity does not do return home testing.  You could a purchase proctored test kit through the ship which you get as you leave the ship.  Options  are to arrange testing through your hotel or at the airport that is what is happening today.