Azamara info

Wayfairers

We’ve never sailed with Azamara but their world cruise 2024 caught my eye.  I know nothing about Azamara so started with their website.  Looks very interesting.  

What do you like most?  Least? about Azamara?

As Grandma Cruising said, we have found Azamara to be a very casual, warm and inviting ship.  The size is easy to get around, it can dock at places that the larger boats can't.  On our Journey cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore, at several places we docked right in town while the larger boats were at commercial docks more than a hour from the city center.  The crew, from Captain on down, has always been friendly and easily mixes with the passengers.  Not fancy, but just nice!

Jay

• Like 3

Least like was the small staterooms.  On a port intensive trip it makes less of a difference, but I wouldn't pick an Azamara cruise with a lot of just sailing days.  For our last Transatlantic, we chose the Seven Seas Explorer.  For our upcoming May 26 Greek intensive cruise, the Journey is our choice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, annapolitan369 said:

Least like was the small staterooms.  On a port intensive trip it makes less of a difference, but I wouldn't pick an Azamara cruise with a lot of just sailing days.  For our last Transatlantic, we chose the Seven Seas Explorer.  For our upcoming May 26 Greek intensive cruise, the Journey is our choice.

Depends on the cruise and what you like to do. We like to sunbathe, so loved our transatlantic from Lisbon to Rio. We had lots of sea days and spent many of them on Deck 11 soaking up the sun.

• Like 2

Like the most:

-  Warm, unpretentious, respectful and friendly on board experience

-  Visible, approachable, friendly and engaging crew (from top to bottom)

-  Port intensive itineraries often with overnight stays in the heart of the action

-  Excursions apart, most things included in the upfront fare but options to personalise if deemed necessary 

-  Wide choice of cabin grades (including inside & outside) that allows for “small ship” sailings at reasonable starting price points

Like the least:

-  Being a smaller ship with only 1 main show per evening we often miss it as taking dinner and chatting too much 🥴

-  Packing to go home

All the best in your research!

Regards

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Great answers…thanks!  

What is dinner attire…are there formal and casual nights?

Are port excursions included?

Are flights included?

Have you checked the Azamara website?

All the answers are there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

Have you checked the Azamara website?

All the answers are there.

I looked before I posted the original post that started this thread….must have missed them…it was early this morning and I had just woken up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

I looked before I posted the original post that started this thread….must have missed them…it was early this morning and I had just woken up. 

Short answers….no formal nights, no included excursions, and flights?  Not included, but you can look at air that you pay for through choice air.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

See by your signature that you have sailed with RCI and Celebrity….you can contact Azamara and have that loyalty status carried over, which helps with perks like laundry and internet, etc., if you decide to book.

The web site is good.  Take a look and browse thru all the tabs, and then come back and everyone will be happy to answer questions. 😀

28 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

See by your signature that you have sailed with RCI and Celebrity….you can contact Azamara and have that loyalty status carried over, which helps with perks like laundry and internet, etc., if you decide to book.

The web site is good.  Take a look and browse thru all the tabs, and then come back and everyone will be happy to answer questions. 😀

Thanks for the info concerning getting credit for RCI and Celebrity cruises and the quick answers to my questions. 

I haven’t used a computer in years…only an iPad and iPhone.  On my phone there are no tabs just a menu in the upper left hand corner that doesn’t have amenities listed.   I finally found on the very bottom of the page all sorts of info.  I didn’t even think of looking at the bottom of the page this morning. 

• Haha 1

Azamara will be a welcome change from RCL in particular.

There are several passenger events that enhance the onboard experience. Covid has mostly prevented  the onshore Azamazing evening concert or local entertainment. White Nights is held on the pool deck with the officers serving dinner and music for all to enjoy. 

Having access to the closest docks wherever you sail is reason enough to sail the line.

The only drawback is the cabin size in any cabin below Penthouse suites. The balconies are shallow. The bathrooms are tiny but you may never find a cleaner cabin. 

Booking air on the website is fraught with glitches and has been down for quite a while. You must call. We're dealing with that right now. 

Mackdogmolly has a good point about trying a shorter sailing but the world cruise may sell out before you can book if you do that.

Good luck!

• Like 2

There may be special offers for world cruises that do include some OBC, laundry, excursions or airfare.  I always use a travel agent.  I would contact one to see what the offers are and, like others, I would recommend trying a short cruise to see if you like Azamara.  They will be in the Caribbean in NOV and DEC….Azamara Onward.  Maybe try them then since you are in FL?  Good luck.  We really like Azamara and have been sailing them since 2008.

Edited to add….I see you have done quite a bit of cruising with HAL.  So have we.  Like Azamara better…think you will, too!

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

We’ve never sailed with Azamara but their world cruise 2024 caught my eye.  I know nothing about Azamara so started with their website.  Looks very interesting.  

What do you like most?  Least? about Azamara?

Found this info on the World cruise in 2024

https://www.azamara.com/azamara-world-cruise

scroll down to see all the offers!  Lots of nice benefits!

Edited by takemewithyou

9 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Edited to add….I see you have done quite a bit of cruising with HAL.  So have we.  Like Azamara better…think you will, too!

Thanks for letting me know you like Azamara better than HAL.  I have wondered how they compare. 

I cruise both for different reasons.  HAL for the music walk on the newer ships and Caribbean itineraries, Azamara for their small ships and European itineraries where they can get right into ports that bigger ships can't.  Yes, veranda abins are better on HAL, but Azamara has its charms.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

The only drawback is the cabin size in any cabin below Penthouse suites. The balconies are shallow. The bathrooms are tiny but you may never find a cleaner cabin. 

The cabin size is all relative. I recall touring former Russian imperial prison in St Petersburg's Peter and Paul fortress; when we entered the solitary confinement cell, someone in our group gasped:"Wow, this is twice the size of the bedroom I shared in Hong Kong with my three siblings!" Azamara cabins are not much less in size than some studio condos in downtown Toronto, and with current real estate prizes and enormous condo fees, it may be more economical to live on the ship:) if only they had good internet...

• Like 1

When we cruise we are rarely in the cabin so typically reserve an inside room….plus nice and dark for sleeping.  Cabin size isn’t important to us though I know folks that book specifically for the cabin.  

We book for the itinerary and are looking at the world cruise for Easter Island.   We may just find cruises to get us to and from South America though as I keep hearing there is only a 50% chance of being able to tender to the island once you are there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My impression of the cabins was they seemed small when we first arrived, especially because the entrance seems narrow.  But, we found that we had more space for stuff, drawers and hanging.  When I first started cruising Azamara I had a rollator that wouldn’t stay folded.  We pushed it to the door and could get in most of the closet and the bathroom without moving it!  It surprised us that it never seemed in the way, except for an obstructed view we had for 7 day.  That was a lateral room and it had a lot of problems!  It looks like more floor space but everything opens into it.