Why American Diner?

Rob-Bob

There's got to be a better option for that space: Mexican, small bites, street food, in an counter-order food truck way, (food not unlike Food Republic) but open air, combined with a margarita bar.

Or, make it a library reading room, b/c that's what it effectively is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geegee1 said:

Liked Margarataville when it was on Bliss.used to go there and use OBC for some apps and specialty margs.

For those that have been to American Diner, are the mozzarella sticks, truly "housemade" or are they just the frozen kind you get at any other place?

They seem to be housemade. They are definitely different than any frozen type I've had on land. You receive three per order, however one stick is about the same size as two normal mozzarella sticks. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

American Diner should be an included restaurant. If they wanted to add a couple of up charge items, I'd be okay with that, but too much of the menu is overpriced and doesn't offer much more than what you can get included elsewhere.

I don't mind pay a little bit extra for things, but when they start charging retail/land prices for items, that's when I get upset as I've already paid for food as part of my cruise fare. By that account, there should be at least a slight discount to what I would pay at a land-side establishment.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:56 PM, shof515 said:

originally that space never had a fee. it was always a free space. back when the breakaway was new that area was called uptown grill and had a small buffet of food for free. since margariaville came, they rebranded the space and started charging a fee

Back then, the Uptown Grill and Flamingo Grill were underutilized spaces where most of the food on the buffet lines ended up being thrown out. So rather than the space being a total money pit, they changed the space to a cook-to-order space for a fee (whether it was the Margaritaville or American Diner). 

It would be such a great space for a bar/lounge! Amazing views, a nice breeze and close to the pools. Just so long as they were to keep the milkshakes...preferably the embarkation day milkshakes not the day 5 or 6 milkshake. 🙂 

• Like 1

I saw in one of the ship tours by a travel agency that the American Diner was put in for the Asian market and they kept it. Americana is apparently really big over there, I remember when I traveled to Singapore when I was about 10 and there were "1950's American Diners" everywhere. We ate at one and paid the US equivalent of $15 for a burger and $4 for a coke back in the 90's lol

17 minutes ago, CleverUserNameHere said:

I saw in one of the ship tours by a travel agency that the American Diner was put in for the Asian market and they kept it.

On the Joy, you mean? Was that the first ship to have an American Diner? But at some point NCL really committed to the idea, because it's now on all the mega-ships (post Epic). I don't know if they plan to have it on the newbuilds.

I'm sure you're right, that a lot of people in Asia are fascinated with diner style food. Europe, too. But you know who loves American diner food the most? Americans. It absolutely makes sense to have this kind of food on a cruise ship, and the place would be full of Americans all the time, if it were a free venue (like the Asian restaurant/noodle bar or O'Sheehan's).

Of course they would have to remove the lobster sliders, because NCL would sooner scuttle their entire fleet than give everyone free lobster again.

When I first started with NCL the outside grills had cook to order options.

When quiet they would not load a tray with precook to sit there, they would cook to order, I think people preferred those even with the short wait.

That got lost over time menu reduced back to burger hotdog, nothing cook to order 

The big change with the newer ships was removing the food options pools/above pushing people to fetch from the buffet, along with the introduction of the pay diner.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:26 PM, geegee1 said:

Liked Margarataville when it was on Bliss.used to go there and use OBC for some apps and specialty margs.

For those that have been to American Diner, are the mozzarella sticks, truly "housemade" or are they just the frozen kind you get at any other place?

They might have been “homemade”. I didn’t like them, I probably would have preferred frozen—they didn’t have much flavor. 

7 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

On the Joy, you mean? Was that the first ship to have an American Diner? But at some point NCL really committed to the idea, because it's now on all the mega-ships (post Epic). I don't know if they plan to have it on the newbuilds.

I believe the American Diner replaced all the Margaritaville's on the ships when the contract ended.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:05 AM, Rob-Bob said:

Milkshakes and lobster rolls I can understand.  Burgers and fries no.  

Thanks for all of the feedback.

The wrangler burger in O'Sheehans is one of the best burgers around ,,,fresh made patty with so many toppings...

1 hour ago, Jldevlin said:

The wrangler burger in O'Sheehans is one of the best burgers around ,,,fresh made patty with so many toppings...

I had that at The Local (same venue) on the Joy a few months ago - GREAT burger!  I pay $20+ (tax and tip included) for one like that at home.