Booster now required on Pride sailings

Eli_6

I just got notice that the Pride sailings this summer in Europe are requiring a booster for everyone who is over 12 and is 6 months or more out from their vaccines.  The letter stated:

"Additionally, all guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated and are more than 6 months 
months past the date of the last dose of their initial vaccine series, will need to show proof of having received a booster in order to sail. This means getting an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer or Moderna) before entry into Europe and no later than 6 months from the last dose in your primary series."

11 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I just got notice that the Pride sailings this summer in Europe are requiring a booster for everyone who is over 12 and is 6 months or more out from their vaccines.  The letter stated:

"Additionally, all guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated and are more than 6 months 
months past the date of the last dose of their initial vaccine series, will need to show proof of having received a booster in order to sail. This means getting an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer or Moderna) before entry into Europe and no later than 6 months from the last dose in your primary series."

Contradictory terms

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Contradictory terms

It is NOT contradictory terms.   Fully vaccinated is not necessarily the same as up to date.  This has been on Carnival's website under HAVE FUN. BE SAFE since at least April 1st, and also sent emails multiple times since that time.

6 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It is NOT contradictory terms.   Fully vaccinated is not necessarily the same as up to date.  This has been on Carnival's website under HAVE FUN. BE SAFE since at least April 1st, and also sent emails multiple times since that time.

I know it has been on their website. I only commented on the contradiction where they state if you are more than 6 months past your initial doses, you need to have a booster. Then they state that your booster needs to be within 6 months (no later than 6 months) of your primary.

Fully vaccinated and up to date were never mentioned.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I know it has been on their website. I only commented on the contradiction where they state if you are more than 6 months past your initial doses, you need to have a booster. Then they state that your booster needs to be within 6 months (no later than 6 months) of your primary.

I agree that it IS poorly written and confusing, but not a contradictory term.  If your last dose was less than 6 months ago, will you won't have to get a booster.  If it was more then six months ago, you will need a booster.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

It's pretty simple. If you got fully vaccinated 6 months ago, you need a booster. If you got vaccinated less than 6 months ago, you don't.

edit - old fart cruisers and I commented at the same time.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

It is good to post this. I read about someone who flew to Barcelona and could not board. It was NCL but she assumed because it is 2 shots  for US sailings she was fine. Honestly I would never fly to another country to board without knowing the needed shots! Every country and port you go to have different rules. Just like the Bermuda forms John Heald discussed today. 

Edited by Thenagers

Yes all summer sailings in Europe on Carnival Pride now suddenly state over 12yrs need a booster if more than 6 months since second vaccine. The massive issue here is that the UK and most European countries do NOT allow 12-15 year olds to have a booster vaccine so we have absolutely no way of getting a booster for our teen who will be 6.5 months after her second vaccine. How can it be right that when we booked it we met the criteria but now don't and will lose the money? Presumably many people on these European cruises are from that area and in the same position. The cruise line looks to make a lot of money if they don't refund fully including deposits by simply reselling these cruises. Other cruises either don't require boosters or allow 270 days from the second. 

The last sentence in the vaccination/booster section of letter is absolutely terribly written.  Many folks now have had their booster more than six months ago.  I know of nothing anywhere in any protocol that requires a 4th shot but that could be the interpretation given how it was written. 

13 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

This has been on Carnival's website under HAVE FUN. BE SAFE since at least April 1st, and also sent emails multiple times since that time.

No it changed for the Pride (at least - maybe more cruises??)

What was (or maybe still is) on the their webpage - no booster required just strongly recommended.  Now the bottom part (of this post) for Pride cruises - a booster IS required.

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS (from the web page)

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination.

Additionally, the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible. Should the CDC definition of fully vaccinated evolve to require the booster shot, our policy will adapt accordingly.

For this cruise - Pride - From today's email

Additionally, all guests 12 years and older who are fully vaccinated and are more than 6 months months past the date of the last dose of their initial vaccine series, will need to show proof of having received a booster in order to sail. This means getting an mRNA booster dose (Pfizer or Moderna) before entry into Europe and no later than 6 months from the last dose in your primary series. 

Edited by fuddrules

What if you receive "ALL" vaccinations to include both boosters, and the second booster will exceed the 6 month recent period.  No one is offering a third booster so then what do we do?  Carnival does not have an answer.

Anyone any experience of what happens when you CANT get a booster as your country simply doesn’t offer them to under 16s? This surely must affect many many passengers sailing from U.K. and some Europeans on summer holiday cruises?? 

2 minutes ago, Pinkpurple said:

Anyone any experience of what happens when you CANT get a booster as your country simply doesn’t offer them to under 16s? This surely must affect many many passengers sailing from U.K. and some Europeans on summer holiday cruises?? 

Would you be able to get a booster in London - at least for the Pride cruises.   Immediately after a booster you're considered to have met the requirements.

2 hours ago, Pinkpurple said:

Yes all summer sailings in Europe on Carnival Pride now suddenly state over 12yrs need a booster if more than 6 months since second vaccine. The massive issue here is that the UK and most European countries do NOT allow 12-15 year olds to have a booster vaccine so we have absolutely no way of getting a booster for our teen who will be 6.5 months after her second vaccine. How can it be right that when we booked it we met the criteria but now don't and will lose the money? Presumably many people on these European cruises are from that area and in the same position. The cruise line looks to make a lot of money if they don't refund fully including deposits by simply reselling these cruises. Other cruises either don't require boosters or allow 270 days from the second. 

I don't think Carnival thought this through.  Doesn't seem right that you were allowed to book,  but now they require everyone over 12to be boosted,  yet boosters are not available for 12 to 18 in the UK!!

Let's hope that Carnival scraps the covid testing and the requirement for 12 to 18 to have a booster. 

15 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Would you be able to get a booster in London - at least for the Pride cruises.   Immediately after a booster you're considered to have met the requirements.

No sadly not. U.K. won’t allow 12-15 year olds boosters at all and no option privately in the U.K.. The only teens allowed are the vunerable group for health reasons which will be a minority. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMSocal said:

What if you receive "ALL" vaccinations to include both boosters, and the second booster will exceed the 6 month recent period.  No one is offering a third booster so then what do we do?  Carnival does not have an answer.

Is this happening to you? I recently got my 2nd booster. My first booster was in October.  I didn’t know anyone could have gotten a second booster back then. 

1 hour ago, KMSocal said:

John Heald did clarify on his facebook page:

"But I want to clarify in the simplest of terms that if you have received your full vaccination and have had a booster shot, regardless of when you had that booster shot you are cleared to travel and clear to cruise with us."

This seems clear - if you had your full vaccination (2 shots or 1 with J&J) and then a booster, whenever you got boosted, you're good to go.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pinkpurple said:

No sadly not. U.K. won’t allow 12-15 year olds boosters at all and no option privately in the U.K.. The only teens allowed are the vunerable group for health reasons which will be a minority. 

I understand the U.K. science - seems reasonable - but it conflicts with Carnival requirements sailing out of the U.K., although I'm guessing that requirement is due to different country requirements.

That's a tough situation. 😒

Edited by fuddrules