Sky Princess - MDR preferences?

Airwavey

Hi all

Has anyone got any - preferably 1st hand - knowledge of the differences / preference reasons between the three MDRs, Soleil, Cielo and Estrella?

And, I've booked meals, separately, for each night of our 13 night June cruise, randomly split between the 3 MDRs, tending to earlier (for us) for at sea days, later for in port days. If we don't turn up for a booking is there any "consequences" for our following bookings? Presumably we could just cancel booking on the day via the Medallion 

22 minutes ago, Airwavey said:

Hi all

Has anyone got any - preferably 1st hand - knowledge of the differences / preference reasons between the three MDRs, Soleil, Cielo and Estrella?

And, I've booked meals, separately, for each night of our 13 night June cruise, randomly split between the 3 MDRs, tending to earlier (for us) for at sea days, later for in port days. If we don't turn up for a booking is there any "consequences" for our following bookings? Presumably we could just cancel booking on the day via the Medallion 

I wouldn't book the Cielo, since I think it has the same problem that dining rooms in that location have on other ships. There's a very small waiting area outside the dining room, and that makes for chaos and confusion if lots of people have reservations at the same time or just show up at the same time. We ran into this problem on the Ruby recently, and that left me with the resolve never to book that location on any ship in the future.

FYI All have the same menu. DRs in the Cielo location pre-Dine My Way were used for Traditional Dining early and late seating. You would just walk in once you knew your table. With Dine My Way there are cue lines to be seated. Cielo has an almost non existent waiting area in that doubles as the elevator and staircase lobby area. 

We were on Sky in March /April and being pre booked made no difference whatsoever on the first few nights. There were still queues regardless and we got sent away from the Ceilo (pre booked) as the queue was up the stairs and people kept piling out of the lifts and skipping it.

This was the first cruise back in the U.K. so they may have improved things now and have more staff. It did get better as the cruise went on but we tended to eat quite late when things were quieter.

We never went back to that restaurant and went between the others depending on capacity. Both very nice and airy.

Visited Ceilo once for a wine tasting and it looked a nice venue too.

No, no consequences for skipping a booking (but cancel the table as courtesy, easy enough to do on the app).

As an aside we thought the food was generally good with sufficient choice and served hot.

We got off the sky princess last saturday and ate at the same table in the cielo every night apart from our crown grill visits. We got there at 6, 6-15 every evening and probably 8 diners at most in queue (took 2-3 minutes). Food was poor first night but after that was very good although not as many choices as before.

Thanking you each for the replies so far. 

Of course we won't MDR every night anyway - 1 speciality already booked, and expect another plus other alternatives eg burger, pizza, buffet... 

23 hours ago, Airwavey said:

Presumably we could just cancel booking on the day via the Medallion 

You can also view & cancel reservations on your cabin’s TV where you can also view menus which was easier for me than on a cell phone or tablet.

• Like 1