Tipping in Specialty Restaurants?

juliacb

6 hours ago, uktog said:

The fairest way to reward good service on an Azamara ship is to make a donation to the crew welfare fund via guest relations. This ensures that everyone seen and unseen involved in making your cruise special are rewarded. 
The fund pays for so many things, crew parties, bingo prizes (a big thing with crew I hear) and crew excursions. These excursions are often used as reward trips. I saw photos yesterday from one in Greece and it was clear the crew involved were having a really lovely time. 

Absolutely!

You will receive a nice card from Customer Relations thanking you!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, les37b said:

Agree (and did so for the first time on my last cruise)..... though on the negative side, it wont give that extra thank you for someone you feel went that extra bit and gives the same to someone you felt didn't deserve.

But as stated above, its all a personal thing with no real rights or wrongs, (apart from the bribers!)

I believe mentioning one or two or three crew members by name in your evaluation will go a long way in rewarding stellar service.

• Like 6

Most of this discussion has revolved around the various views of the tipERs.  In past years these may have been interesting conversations and discussions, with all kinds of cultural / nationalistic perspectives understandablely involved.   But I think now we ought to take into consideration the past two-plus years and their effect on the tipEEs.

Since the cruising-restart we have been on several cruises and have adopted the attitude that the crew have had a TERRIBLE couple of years, with little income, little support for their families, etc.  These folks are not like a random server at a random restaurant in Downtown-wherever-you-life.  Some of them we have know for years --- they are more like a nieces or nephews, or distant cousins than a random kid working in a hotel or restaurant.

Many, or even most, of us Azamara cruisers were not so hard hit financially by the pandemic as the crew was.   I’ll admit that my tipping habits have changed in the past two years, and I tip more now than I did Before.   I'm not talking about huge sums, but a few dollars/euros/pounds spread around, that truely mean more the to recipient than the giver.

I know this is in-elegantly presented, but I think there are two sides to the tipping, and we ought to consider both  rather than just focusing on ourselves…

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DS said:

Most of this discussion has revolved around the various views of the tipERs.  In past years these may have been interesting conversations and discussions, with all kinds of cultural / nationalistic perspectives understandablely involved.   But I think now we ought to take into consideration the past two-plus years and their effect on the tipEEs.

Since the cruising-restart we have been on several cruises and have adopted the attitude that the crew have had a TERRIBLE couple of years, with little income, little support for their families, etc.  These folks are not like a random server at a random restaurant in Downtown-wherever-you-life.  Some of them we have know for years --- they are more like a nieces or nephews, or distant cousins than a random kid working in a hotel or restaurant.

Many, or even most, of us Azamara cruisers were not so hard hit financially by the pandemic as the crew was.   I’ll admit that my tipping habits have changed in the past two years, and I tip more now than I did Before.   I'm not talking about huge sums, but a few dollars/euros/pounds spread around, that truely mean more the to recipient than the giver.

I know this is in-elegantly presented, but I think there are two sides to the tipping, and we ought to consider both  rather than just focusing on ourselves…

Couldn't agree more. Plus I suspect a momentary reward is far more appreciated than a pat on the back by mentioning their name on a end of cruise survey. I expect receiving both would be preferable and easy to do. Unless of course you think the few dollars a day earned is sufficient and the gratuities included make up the difference to reaching a fair reward for the 18 hour days often worked which they've been denied for the past 2 years.

• Like 3

I have no issue tipping well for normal to great service when it is expected. I don’t tip when gratuity is included.

I also share other people’s views that excess tipping can be detrimental:

- essentially a bribe, with the only other purpose making the tipper feel good about how generous they are

- tipping ignores back of house staff, cashiers, warehouse workers, etc.

• Like 8