Are there still onboard booking discounts?

Sweetpea711423

1 hour ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

And if so, what is the amount?

Yes.  5%.

Can you apply it to any future cruise?

Not necessarily.  Most, but not all.

Anything else I should know about it?

You don’t have to book an actual voyage while on board to get the 5% discount.

32 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yes.  5%.

Not necessarily.  Most, but not all.

You don’t have to book an actual voyage while on board to get the 5% discount.

Thanks.  Could you explain what you mean by not having a book an actual voyage while on board to get the 5% discount.  How does that work?  What do you actually do?

I booked a Port to Port voyage onboard last month and was informed that I would only get a 2.5% onboard credit.  This came from the future cruise consultant face to face; I've never seen it written anywhere.  Nothing was said about not getting Venetian Society credit for days on a P2P.  I guess I'll find out when I sail in January.  

5% for D2D and 2.5% for P2P.  Wow, yet another illogical complication that would make one feel penalized if D2D doesn’t work.  The attempts at incentive end up seeming more like penalty if one tries to avoid a poor value D2D.

• Like 1

You do get credit for sailing days on P2P, but not the various Venetian discounts. Correct about the 2.5% for onboard booking--like that makes any sense at all! I found this buried in the website yesterday but can't point to the specific place. Probably in the terms and conditions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thanks.  Could you explain what you mean by not having a book an actual voyage while on board to get the 5% discount.  How does that work?  What do you actually do?

You make a floating deposit, typically $1,000 per person.  It provides you up to six months to convert into an actual booking.

Some savvy folks here actually book the cheapest voyage available and pay just a deposit.  I can’t remember for sure, but the cheapest D2D is around $3,750/pp.  So, a 15% deposit would only be $562.50/pp.  The big benefit is you can transfer the booking to another voyage up until final payment is due, which is 150-days at this point, I believe according to SS’s terms.  This gives you substantially more time, at a cheaper cost, to use your onboard discount than a mere floating deposit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

You make a floating deposit, typically $1,000 per person.  It provides you up to six months to convert into an actual booking.

Some savvy folks here actually book the cheapest voyage available and pay just a deposit.  I can’t remember for sure, but the cheapest D2D is around $3,750/pp.  So, a 15% deposit would only be $562.50/pp.  The big benefit is you can transfer the booking to another voyage up until final payment is due, which is 150-days at this point, I believe according to SS’s terms.  This gives you substantially more time, at a cheaper cost, to use your onboard discount than a mere floating deposit.

Such wonderful advice.  Thanks so much.  Just one more follow-up question -- if you make a "cheaper" holding deposit on a cruise and then cancel it, I assume you are charged the $200 per person "cancellation" charge (which I know can be put towards a future cruise).  Is that accurate?  Also, will you be charged this "cancellation" charge if you make a "floating" deposit, not on a particular cruise?

2 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Such wonderful advice.  Thanks so much.  Just one more follow-up question -- if you make a "cheaper" holding deposit on a cruise and then cancel it, I assume you are charged the $200 per person "cancellation" charge (which I know can be put towards a future cruise).  Is that accurate?  Also, will you be charged this "cancellation" charge if you make a "floating" deposit, not on a particular cruise?

The cancellation fee is returned to you providing you use on another booking and without penalty and is 1 year I believe.

On a floating booking, if you cancel and not make a future booking, all funds would be refunded. Effectively doing this, you express an interest to sail, then change your mind. This is certainly the case for D2D... But know some conditions differ for P2P.

I've certainly done as Stumblefoot suggested and booked the cheapest option and then transferred to a booking I wanted when new itineraries released.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...