2nd Booster for Testing 3 Days Prior if Over 50?

JT1962

With the new CDC recommendation, I wonder if Carnival will immediately require those over 50 who got a booster more than 4 months ago to need a 2nd booster to be able to take the Covid test 3 days prior to your Carnival cruise?  

“…today CDC is strengthening its recommendation that those 12 and older who are immunocompromised and those 50 and older should receive a second booster dose at least 4 months after their first.”

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0519-covid-booster-acip.html

Carnival testing requirements - 

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. 

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

That does not mention anything that I see about when you can take the Covid test. My question is will you still be able to take your Covid test three days prior to your cruise if you are over 50 and had your booster more than four months ago

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

That does not mention anything that I see about when you can take the Covid test. My question is will you still be able to take your Covid test three days prior to your cruise if you are over 50 and had your booster more than four months ago

Yes. You're OK with that.

16 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

I am PRETTY  sure " up to date" means 1 booster...but on our last cruise I didn't want to take a chance so we did the Covid test 2 days before.

That’s where I think the change is coming. Carnival says “up to date” is all recommended boosters. The CDC just recommended a 2nd booster if over 50 and it has been more than 4 months since your first booster.  

6 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Yes. You're OK with that.

Even if I had a booster 5 months ago and CDC just recommended a 2nd booster after 4 months if over 50? Carnival says you can only test 3 days prior if you are up to date on all CDC recommended vaccines / boosters. As I read it, I am now no longer “up to date” per the new recommendations. 

I ask because my upcoming cruise leaves on Monday and I leave home early Saturday to have 2 days to spend at the departure port. I had planned on taking a test on Friday. Now it appears I am no longer eligible to take it more than 2 days prior/

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
44 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Even if I had a booster 5 months ago and CDC just recommended a 2nd booster after 4 months if over 50? Carnival says you can only test 3 days prior if you are up to date on all CDC recommended vaccines / boosters. As I read it, I am now no longer “up to date” per the new recommendations. 

I ask because my upcoming cruise leaves on Monday and I leave home early Saturday to have 2 days to spend at the departure port. I had planned on taking a test on Friday. Now it appears I am no longer eligible to take it more than 2 days prior/

You're more than welcomed to call Carnival to verify if you like.

I am plumb fed up with this nonsense of counting the days after my last booster shot, living in fear/anxiety that if I get it to soon, Carnival will reject me. My days of living in fear/anxiety have long past. Yes I am fully vaxxed with the Moderna( 2 times in winter of '21), with a Moderna booster 4 or 5 months ago. I'm going for my 2nd booster in July sometime. My biggest concern is getting tested. That's  my biggest hurdle to overcome. I will not allow myself to let it worry me into an early grave. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.    :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would keep an eye on this. There may be more to follow. Right now Carnivals FAQs say only one booster needed, as did John Heald’s blog on FB. 

BUT, the email from Carnival on European sailings was on 5/18 and John’s clarification was early AM on the 19th. 

later in the day on the 19th the CDC announced new strong recommendations for 5-11s to get boosted and for seniors to be double boosted. 

carnival’s vaccine protocols say that they will look to CDC’s evolving guidance and adapt accordingly. 

we might just get some additional insights from Carnival once the get back to their desks on Monday. 

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks for asking this question! I am in the same predicament. Cruising June 3, was planning on getting tested on Tuesday before Friday sailing as we are fully vaxed, and first booster was in November and December. We are 75 and 77 years old and in good health. We were planning on getting the 2nd booster later on as flu season gets closer. Now I’m confused as to whether we HAVE TO HAVE the second booster to test in 3 days prior or not. I guess the best solution is to test in 2 days instead of 3. 

3 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

Thanks for asking this question! I am in the same predicament. Cruising June 3, was planning on getting tested on Tuesday before Friday sailing as we are fully vaxed, and first booster was in November and December. We are 75 and 77 years old and in good health. We were planning on getting the 2nd booster later on as flu season gets closer. Now I’m confused as to whether we HAVE TO HAVE the second booster to test in 3 days prior or not. I guess the best solution is to test in 2 days instead of 3. 

I think maybe before flu season there will be a combo flu/covid vaccine. I think if Verifly says I'm good to go Carnival will too. Worst case, I think they would retest me at the port even if I have to pay for it. Just my 2 cents. We should find out in a few days what the real Carnival interpretation is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I think maybe before flu season there will be a combo flu/covid vaccine. I think if Verifly says I'm good to go Carnival will too. Worst case, I think they would retest me at the port even if I have to pay for it. Just my 2 cents. We should find out in a few days what the real Carnival interpretation is.

No you do not. Three days testing is fine for anyone with 1 booster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

This was sent out today for Europe voyages. I'm actually on the Pride now ( Wonderful day in Kotor) and will remain until June 19th.

Screenshot_20220522-211747.png

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

This was sent out today for Europe voyages. I'm actually on the Pride now ( Wonderful day in Kotor) and will remain until June 19th.

Glad you are there.

Enjoy all your cruises. 

20 hours ago, JT1962 said:

i asked this same question before my cruise 2 weeks ago. i had gotten my second booster 10 days before testing day . this was 3 days before cruise. was told by 3 different people don't worry about the second booster. the 14 days before was for the 1st booster. was able to board with no problems

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

you are good to go. you are considered fully vaccinated if you have gotten the first booster. the second booster does not matter at this time. i got tested 3 days before and went on my cruise 2 weeks ago no problem

17 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

If a person has their second shot and is not yet eligible for a booster, can they test 3 days before?

Why isn't this person eligible for a booster,you need to clarify. Is it the age of the person or because the initial vaccine was completed recently? Needs clarification before an answer is given.