Endicott Arm on Discovery

seagunthera

I know the Discovery just started her Alaskan sailings but I'm wondering how many of those sailings were able to enter Endicott Arm vs. how many were turned away due to unfavorable conditions (ice, etc.)?  I'm on the June 26th sailing and am wondering what our changes are.  Thanks!

We haven't been down Endicott Arm yet, but we will be in August of this year. We have been down Tracy Arm several times, and I think it's mostly just luck of the draw how far down the ship will go. If there's been a lot of recent calving and there's significant large ice in the water, the ship won't go through that. Significant calving can happen at any time as far as I know. The farthest we ever got down Tracy Arm was in May.

If the Discovery can't go down Endicott Arm, it'll reroute to Tracy Arm if it can. 

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the May 2 Royal cruise and did not get very far into Endicott Arm at all  - too much ice. We were still far from the glacier so were unable to see it even from a distance. Thankfully we had just come off of two amazing glacier viewing days at Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay so it wasn’t that big of a let down. But if that had been our only glacier viewing day it would have been disappointing. 

Edited by karatemom2

I have the same question so i was going to watch the Discovery last Wednesday on Ship tracker to see if they got into Endicott Arm or not, but I got busy. Maybe this Wednesday I'll have time to check on her location on Wednesday.

• Like 1

We just visited Endicott Arm May 10th on Royal Princess. The captain said he could "probably get in but wouldn't be able to turn around" as there was too much ice so we went partway in but didn't make it to the glacier.

Edited by Thrak

We just returned from the Discovery Princess.  We were sitting in the theater waiting to board our tour boat for trip up to Endicott Glacier when the Capt announced that he could not go any farther and would be turning around due to pack ice up ahead.

Our tour boat  zig and zaged through the ice until the last mile or so then pushed through the packed crushed ice.  Then entered into clear water in front of the glacier.  He had to stay back 1/4 mile for safety reasons.  We stay awhile, but no ice chunks fell off while we were there.

On the way back we saw a bear on the shore, two harbor seals, one resting on a chunk of floating ice and one swimming. Then saw several Eagle sitting on chunks of ice.  And of course, lots of floating ice from very small to very large.  Some with Blue Coloring showing.

Was a vert pretty day with sun out.  But, of course the wind was Brrrr cold with the wind blowing and the boat running adding to cross deck air flow. 

Bob

• Like 2