Hubbard Glacier Today

Glaciers

We’re at Hubbard Glacier on a beautiful day this afternoon on the Royal Princess. Of six trips to Hubbard I’ve not seen less ice in the bay than today yet we only made it to about 9 miles from the glacier. We’ve been to the face past Haenke Island twice with more ice. I do wonder if the optional excursion has anything to do with fewer trips close to the glacier. I think there may be less motivation by Princess to continue to the glacier since they make additional revenue with the optional excursion being booked through their site.  I suppose those first timers are loving this but once you’ve experience being dwarfed by Hubbard up close, it can be a bit disappointed being so far away. Might be time to bite the bullet and pay for the excursion if that’s the only way to get a close up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to hear that they are keeping their distance. I had been very close on my first few visits but it has been years since I have gotten anywhere near the face. Guess I was spoiled early. I sail in a couple of weeks and hope we get closer but am not holding my breath. 

A friend was on a Celebrity ship a few years ago. Her small boat ride did not get any closer than the ship did.

I was once 9 miles away from Hubbard - definitely a poor view. Sorry. Visiting Hubbard early in the season can be iffy. Though this trip was in July and before the small boat trips existed there.

My guess is that there is more to it. Those small ships can only hold so many passengers and I was reading the other day several people had their tours cancelled (on several trips) on the small boat excursion - not sure if the tour company cancelled them or what.

Edited by Coral

52 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Do you have any pics you can post?  Curious what the view is like from 9 miles away!

I wasn’t going to take any photos but a cloud bank was rolling in which engulfed the ship and was pretty much the highlight of the afternoon. This was as it just began rolling in but it does show what 9 miles looks like. 

The previous day in College Fjord the captain only got us to about 5 miles from Harvard Glacier. We didn’t make it past College Point and into the Harvard Arm.  In the past we went all the way to Harvard which is a spectacular glacier so we were disappointed that we couldn’t get closer.  I know I’m a bit whiny here but when your expectation has been set by a past experience it can be a slight let down. It was still a good experience, particularly for first timers.

Hubbard Glacier.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that your glacier experience was not the best.  It was certainly a beautiful day -- too bad the captain didn't get any closer.  We will be going in a few weeks -- wonder what our experience will be like.

@Italy52  

Yes, we couldn’t have asked for better weather! If you’re taking the excursion, as I know you’ve been looking forward to, it will certainly be better than ours. As soon as we stopped at the 9 mile mark the Allen Marine vessel pulled up next to us and within a few minutes was packed with folks. We departed as soon as they returned.  It was like the captain was there to only accommodate the excursion boat. 

1 minute ago, Glaciers said:

@Italy52  

Yes, we couldn’t have asked for better weather! If you’re taking the excursion, as I know you’ve been looking forward to, it will certainly be better than ours. As soon as we stopped at the 9 mile mark the Allen Marine vessel pulled up next to us and within a few minutes was packed with folks. We departed as soon as they returned.  It was like the captain was there to only accommodate the excursion boat. 

You know, I have never understood why sometimes we venture through the ice and sometimes we don't when things look clear.  I know the "powers to be" know more than I but it just seems odd.  Hope the rest of your trip was memorable.

• Like 1

That's the same boat my Hubbard excursion was on. That pic looks like a sold-out tour.

I didn't think my tour was quite that crowded, but maybe it was. I was on the top deck, and it seemed everyone up there was able to get pictures. It was a very cooperative group, sharing space at the railing. I'm short, so I scrunched down a bit, which let the guy behind me shoot over my shoulder. Only the guy trying to take pictures with his tablet had trouble getting shots. 

Thank you for posting the glacier picture.  I didn't realize Hubbard Glacier had the same issues as some of the others as far as being blocked by ice.  Hopefully you have better luck at Marjorie Glacier.  I was there last September and we didn't get nearly as close as I had on a few previous sailing so I was disappointed for the first timers.  

Edited by SomewhereGirl

On 5/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, Glaciers said:

The previous day in College Fjord the captain only got us to about 5 miles from Harvard Glacier. We didn’t make it past College Point and into the Harvard Arm.  In the past we went all the way to Harvard which is a spectacular glacier so we were disappointed that we couldn’t get closer. 

Add this to your Hubbard Glacier experience, it seems to me that you had an overly cautious Captain.  Maybe, a new Master sailing a cruise ship in Alaskan waters?  Ice damage to the azipods or a hole in the hull would not be a good addition on the person's resume.  

On 5/23/2022 at 10:20 AM, Glaciers said:

I wasn’t going to take any photos but a cloud bank was rolling in which engulfed the ship and was pretty much the highlight of the afternoon. This was as it just began rolling in but it does show what 9 miles looks like. 

The previous day in College Fjord the captain only got us to about 5 miles from Harvard Glacier. We didn’t make it past College Point and into the Harvard Arm.  In the past we went all the way to Harvard which is a spectacular glacier so we were disappointed that we couldn’t get closer.  I know I’m a bit whiny here but when your expectation has been set by a past experience it can be a slight let down. It was still a good experience, particularly for first timers.

Hubbard Glacier.jpg

Your 9 miles looks better than my picture! I had fog also!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe, a new Master sailing a cruise ship in Alaskan waters?  Ice damage to the azipods or a hole in the hull would not be a good addition on the person's resume.  

Or maybe a senior master who knew something that wasn't' apparent to,  or discussed with the passengers? 🙄

• Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 9:39 PM, Glaciers said:

We’re at Hubbard Glacier on a beautiful day this afternoon on the Royal Princess. Of six trips to Hubbard I’ve not seen less ice in the bay than today yet we only made it to about 9 miles from the glacier. We’ve been to the face past Haenke Island twice with more ice. I do wonder if the optional excursion has anything to do with fewer trips close to the glacier. I think there may be less motivation by Princess to continue to the glacier since they make additional revenue with the optional excursion being booked through their site.  I suppose those first timers are loving this but once you’ve experience being dwarfed by Hubbard up close, it can be a bit disappointed being so far away. Might be time to bite the bullet and pay for the excursion if that’s the only way to get a close up.

Glad I booked it for My cruise in september

On 5/24/2022 at 11:12 PM, MBP&O2/O said:

Or maybe a senior master who knew something that wasn't' apparent to,  or discussed with the passengers? 🙄

In 6 trips I had not seen less ice in the bay.  You hear so much about ice being the main concern with getting close although, I suppose, that’s pretty simplistic and there are other factors. Just have to hope that they are not making attempts due to the pricey optional excursion being available.