No more OTC meds in shops!

jratly

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

HaHa.  Black market Advil and Tylenol.😃

When we were on the Edge for the Transatlantic I had a small pharmacy that I had packed, all except my much needed Omeprazole and Otc Levsin.
That oversight cost me  just over $1,000. I had two visits to the Medical center followed by an idiotic and totally unnecessary hospital trip. 
I had asked the concierge in the Retreat whether there might be basic medicines available and I was told that if I went to the Medical center and stated that I had a stomach problem I would be quarantined for 24 hours in case it was Noro. 
I was confined for 21 days due to my husband's and my subsequent Covid diagnosis.
The idea that GERD might result in Quarantine is absolutely idiotic and another example of how the Medical personnel onboard are not to be taken seriously. 
If you cannot tell the difference between GERD and Noro, your Medical degree was given to you erroneously.  

• Like 2

so someone like me with food intolerances like lactose intolerance might want to live off of medication that we bring on the ship to avoid asking for any medication.

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bananavan said:

If you cannot tell the difference between GERD and Noro, your Medical degree was given to you erroneously. 

It is always good to remember that first and last in the class still get called 'Dr' 🙂

Also good to hear you are fighting this one to the end, but it would have been better if you didn't have to fight of course...

Hope you get a good resolution soon now.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 4:56 AM, Luvcrusn said:

I guess that the following list of suggested OTC meds by a recent Roll Call not longer seems like overkill!

OTC Meds

Aspirin
Anti-diarrheal
Tylenol
Motril/Advil
Excedrin
Allergy (clariton)
Allergy Nasal Spray
Mucinex
Cough Medicine
Probiotic
Anti-diarrheal
Antacid
GasX
DairyEase
Airborne
Benadryl
Benadryl Cream
Neosporin
Hydrocortisone Cream
Vitamins
Bandaids
Antibacterial eye drops
Allergy eye drops
Vicks VapoRub
Tums
anti-itch cream
Nose Strips
meds for constipation
Motion sicknes medication

Did you need an extra case? 

On 5/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, jratly said:

Just an FYI in case you are packing for your Celebrity cruise to take any OTC meds you may need with you!  Items previously available for purchase on board are no longer available such as Tylenol, Advil, Pepto Bismal, Robitussin, etc.  You must see the ship's doctor to get any of these.  Their explanation of course is that you may have symptoms consistent with Covid.  That seems to be going a little too far.  No one will go to the ship's doctor for Tylenol.

Wow!  So, if you have a toothache or backache you have to go to ship's doctor.  Can't imagine how crowded sick bay will be.  I always carry a pharmacy with me but this is not a good situation.

Edited by SkystheLimit
wording

Just this afternoon, on a Facebook group for a different cruise line someone is asking if anyone currently on board their ship has 2 Sudafed, offering to buy a drink in exchange.  Celebrity isn't the only cruise line to take these medications out of the shops and the battering is absolutely happening!  

14 hours ago, Mark_T said:

It is always good to remember that first and last in the class still get called 'Dr' 🙂

Also good to hear you are fighting this one to the end, but it would have been better if you didn't have to fight of course...

Hope you get a good resolution soon now.

Mark. just wanted to let you know. I have been able to negotiate a fair settlement. 
I would have preferred the cruise we paid for, but that theoretical ship has sailed. 
Thanks for your support over the past few weeks.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, jelayne said:

Never could figure out why pre Covid  folks wouldn’t pack some things like Advil, cough meds, bandaids and antibiotics.  We never leave for a trip ( land or sea) without  them. 

I always have packed a "Dr. Bag" just to have Band-Aids, Neosporin, Advil, Tylenol, Pepto, etc. quick and handy when needed. It's nice to have gel for tooth issues and all other sorts of random things on hand as you never know what you might need. i have done this for years and although we have only needed to go into the bag a time or two...it is nice to just have. 

The ships may no longer have meds in the shops but they do have a $9 can of Pringles in case you are interested. 🙂 

Edited by floralscent

6 hours ago, bananavan said:

Mark. just wanted to let you know. I have been able to negotiate a fair settlement. 
I would have preferred the cruise we paid for, but that theoretical ship has sailed. 
Thanks for your support over the past few weeks.

Closure is a good thing even if not a perfect solution, glad to hear you can move forward now and put this behind you.

Thanks for taking us all along with you on the journey, sharing your experiences, painful though they were, will have helped a lot of people.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:47 AM, bananavan said:

When we were on the Edge for the Transatlantic I had a small pharmacy that I had packed, all except my much needed Omeprazole and Otc Levsin.
That oversight cost me  just over $1,000. I had two visits to the Medical center followed by an idiotic and totally unnecessary hospital trip. 
I had asked the concierge in the Retreat whether there might be basic medicines available and I was told that if I went to the Medical center and stated that I had a stomach problem I would be quarantined for 24 hours in case it was Noro. 
I was confined for 21 days due to my husband's and my subsequent Covid diagnosis.
The idea that GERD might result in Quarantine is absolutely idiotic and another example of how the Medical personnel onboard are not to be taken seriously. 

I do have a medical degree, graduated in the top 10% of a large class, and I find your remarks offensive. People can present and describe their symptoms very differently and the medical personnel on the ship have a duty both to the individuals presenting to them and to the safety and well being of everyone else in that tight environment.

Both Covid and Noro can cause severe nausea and vomiting and believe me when you’ve been throwing up for a few hours and have never had GERD, you can describe how you feel using GERD terms.

Quite frankly, I have a great deal sympathy and empathy for what you and your husband endured, no one should be quarantined for 21 days, but, having read your posts, I am certain there is another side to your story. And I will NOT engage you in debate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 5/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, fsr44 said:

I noticed this with Dramamine last summer on the Summit.  You used to be able to pick that up in the shops or GS, but since the restart, even seasickness means a trip to the Medical folks.

Front desk gave it out for free on Constellation last month.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, HappyCamper49 said:

We have a "traveling pharmacy" with us on our cruises.  It only took once for my husband to get sick on a translantic cruise!

After my husband got an upper respiratory infection on our first transatlantic, we learned the hard, expensive way to BRING A SMALL TRAVELING PHARMACY with us on next cruises!  Better safe than sorry is our mantra now.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:43 AM, fsr44 said:

I noticed this with Dramamine last summer on the Summit.  You used to be able to pick that up in the shops or GS, but since the restart, even seasickness means a trip to the Medical folks.

I've sailed 8 times since restart, sometimes get seasick without meds, and have had no issues getting meclizine (aka Dramamine II) at Guest Relations for free.  If you asked for Dramamine maybe they thought you wanted the original which they never have??  Or maybe it was just a supply issue on your sailing?