Live with Celine from Grand Princess Alaska May 25th - June 8th

nunuc2000

Turnaround day here today in Whittier… and following the same trend as the last five days, absolutely gorgeous and sunny!! With a population of less than 300, it’s crazy that Whittier has a cruise port as an embarkation port!! That big building in my photos is actually an old military barracks that serves as the main housing complex and living quarters for the towns year-round residents… Includes a Shop a medical clinic, post office, and even a school… When winter gets harsh, they can spend literally months indoors never going outside… It even has an indoor playground for the children.  Went for a walk about for an hour or so, and aside from just a couple of tiny shops, not much to see… But the views and the weather are endlessly enjoyable 😊

98374002-E108-4BF1-A0C0-C6DC5957D560.jpeg

A8792D9A-29F8-4187-97BB-C314B28D9567.jpeg

7E016761-F64E-47AC-BA1D-8498D053290E.jpeg

D1AC294A-E1EA-46BF-9837-BA5016E01BC1.jpeg

B3697CB2-4E94-48DB-A67C-0DC8EBEB5238.jpeg

B3706937-4BC1-44F4-89D2-A1B047E1A58A.jpeg

1EE7172B-FDF6-4713-865C-FFB60EB91218.jpeg

E50082CB-9D0A-413D-8EF6-1A7865E0F2D9.jpeg

• Like 2

I am also surprised that the naturalist and other broadcast announcements at scenic highlights such as Glacier Bay and others are not being broadcast on the TV on the View from the Bridge Channel.  We have taken several Princess Alaska cruises over the years and this was always done.

I do hope that this is being commented/complained about by the passengers so that hopefully Princess reconsiders and reinstates this program.  This is a major disadvantage for people watching the scenery from their own balcony.  Makes no sense for Princess to encourage people to gather in large groups on the outside deck to watch the scenery.  They should be encouraging social distancing prevent covid and other disease spread.

I just don't understand why they would discontinue the TV broadcast program which has been in effect since our first princess Alaska cruise in the early 1990s.

Edited by montgomeryfamily
  • Like 1

We are currently sitting in the last row of the theatre to see the naturalists presentation Discovering the Inhabitants of Alaska’s Coastal Waters.  Looking at the information displayed, it appears the “whales” we saw at a distance were actually porpoises!  We might have been right about the otter.  😂We definitely saw 4 eagles yesterday.

13 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

I am also surprised that the naturalist and other broadcast announcements at scenic highlights such as Glacier Bay and others are not being broadcast on the TV on the View from the Bridge Channel.  We have taken several Princess Alaska cruises over the years and this was always done.

I do hope that this is being commented/complained about by the passengers so that hopefully Princess reconsiders and reinstates this program.  This is a major disadvantage for people watching the scenery from their own balcony.  Makes no sense for Princess to encourage people to gather in large groups on the outside deck to watch the scenery.  They should be encouraging social distancing prevent covid and other disease spread.

I just don't understand why they would discontinue the TV broadcast program which has been in effect since our first princess Alaska cruise in the early 1990s.

I know this makes me so sad.  We have a gorgeous balcony, and I was really looking forward to utilizing it during Glacier Bay, since cruisers from previous years had reported that they broadcast the naturalist on the TV.  We chose Princess specifically for their experience with the naturalists/Alaska.  It's such a bummer that they would remove the things that made them stand out, especially when it costs them nothing to keep it.

Edited by PhotoGal07
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PhotoGal07 said:

APOLOGIES FOR THE DOUBLE POST:  I know this makes me so sad.  We have a gorgeous balcony, and I was really looking forward to utilizing it during Glacier Bay, since cruisers from previous years had reported that they broadcast the naturalist on the TV.  We chose Princess specifically for their experience with the naturalists/Alaska.  It's such a bummer that they would remove the things that made them stand out, especially when it costs them nothing to keep it.

Edited by PhotoGal07

I was partially WRONG.  The naturalist doesn’t normally broadcast over the bridge cam but will at 3:30 today when we enter Hubbard Glacier.  She said to turn the volume up on the TV and open your balcony door.  We were disappointed in her presentation; too much of a sales pitch for books, maps and tours and description of marine life she said we have no hope of seeing.

24 minutes ago, Senga said:

I was partially WRONG.  The naturalist doesn’t normally broadcast over the bridge cam but will at 3:30 today when we enter Hubbard Glacier.  She said to turn the volume up on the TV and open your balcony door.  We were disappointed in her presentation; too much of a sales pitch for books, maps and tours and description of marine life she said we have no hope of seeing.

That will be nice to be able to hear it on the balcony… It was so hard to hear on the loudspeakers up above our balcony area last week. But yeah, we generally don’t attend those presentations anymore as they do seem to be like a sales spiel and generally disappointing. 

Swenga, where is that last photo with the chairs?  I have really enjoyed all of the photos!  

Although the presentation often wrapped up with a sales presentation, the Hubbard glacier broadcast should be better.  I know the broadcasts by the naturalists from the U.S. Park Service in Glacier Bay is always good.

Perhaps if enough people comment to the Cruise Director and other mgt wanting that also broadcast, they will do it this time at all of these scenic highlights.

The picture was deck 15 or 16 aft.  We only ventured out on deck on turnaround day when there were few people around.  This new group, I think, will challenge our peace and quiet.

Notice tonight’s formal dinner includes a charge of $3.50 if you want Peach Melba for dessert.  NEVER seen an upcharge in the main dining room but I do LOVE Peach Melba.  😋

Announcements ARE available in the cabin on bridge cam view.  😀

Edited by Senga
Correction

WRONG again!  On the Medallion App, Dine My Way menu it showed a $3.50 charge but there was NO charge on the actual menu.  I HATE disinformation so please accept my apology.  I’m done offering information.

Listened to the Naturalist while on the balcony but we didn’t enjoy it.  You get an echo from the broadcast in public spaces.

How close did you get to Hubbard, it looks pretty far? My last half dozen visits we never seem to get close anymore. My first visits back in the 90's and early 2000s we got very close. FYI  I don't consider it close unless you are past the island and can see all the way down the face of the Glacier to the right.

I was very lucky on my early visits, on the old small Island Princess we saw a huge calving event and when the piece was carried past the ship it was bigger than the ship itself. We were only about a ship length from the face.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, Waynetor said:

Very glad to see someone doing a live from the Grand.  We are doing the north and southbound in July for our first Alaskan cruise.

How did you get from the airport to the cruise terminal?  I'm thinking of taking the train that goes to downtown near the port.  My wife is in a wheelchair and I 'm looking for the easiest way.

How many passengers on the ship for this cruise?  

Taxi from the Airport to Cruise Terminal is by far your best mode of travel and they have a flat rate between the Airport and Cruise Terminal. Recommend you check that out as the Skytrain would be a difficult option under your circumstances, excellent if physically fit and travelling with little luggage to handle the walk at the Cruise end.

2 hours ago, victoriaj said:

Taxi from the Airport to Cruise Terminal is by far your best mode of travel and they have a flat rate between the Airport and Cruise Terminal. Recommend you check that out as the Skytrain would be a difficult option under your circumstances, excellent if physically fit and travelling with little luggage to handle the walk at the Cruise end.

I have to agree with Victoriaj for sure. The skytrain is wheelchair accessible and the route goes close to the port, but the crowds can be crushing and the doors move fast for someone hauling luggage and assisting with a wheelchair. If the wheelchair is powered or is streamlined for activity, it would be a good option, I think. Lots of people take the skytrain with luggage but I personally only take it if I have a small amount. Good luck!

14 hours ago, Senga said:

WRONG again!  On the Medallion App, Dine My Way menu it showed a $3.50 charge but there was NO charge on the actual menu.  I HATE disinformation so please accept my apology.  I’m done offering information.

Listened to the Naturalist while on the balcony but we didn’t enjoy it.  You get an echo from the broadcast in public spaces.

I saw somebody posted from their medallion app the specialty dining  menu and it said $25 ,I guess I thought it was always $29. I can’t remember where I read it or what ship but somebody had just posted the dinner menu straight from their medallion app. So I believe there are definitely inconsistencies. Glad there wasn’t a charge for your peach Melba. That would be just so wrong if they did charge .

Tons of misinformation corrected.

$29 for Crown Grill, $25 for Sabatini’s.

Park Ranger IS broadcast on the bridge cam live and the sound is MUCH clearer when in the cabin.

• Like 1

What a difference a week makes indeed!!! Glacier bay was even more beautiful today than a week ago!! I have been having a heckuva time trying to post anything the last couple of days… But glad that Senga has been able to chime in 😊

The weather continues to be absolutely spectacular, the Buffet not so much lol

but the food and service in the dining room continues to please us greatly, and of course all of the staff, especially the bartenders and serving staff, are top-notch as always. 

22 Celsius in the sunshine today on the top deck enjoying glacier bay. A couple of times we had to seek out shade in order to avoid sunburns… Unheard of for Alaska for us anyway! 🤣

CDCF8769-B5BF-44F1-A43E-ED217014FB6B.jpeg

B961708E-766D-40E5-AB30-18298AC8D725.jpeg

74739DB2-A8E3-4B73-8E3C-D5F425F120BF.jpeg

63EAC2F1-8B7F-4220-AADC-ACAAA3069D33.jpeg

CA1C355B-4E89-4272-89D6-39ABEDFFA1D5.jpeg

4D957E13-1854-4230-8181-AD2546FFDD7E.jpeg

B6908E90-AF79-4BBE-9C7D-0DA1FF3196F1.jpeg

1656F48E-0C4D-4965-97FD-961CDFDF715A.jpeg

3E2681A0-5AAA-4E3B-82F9-22E96A6041FD.jpeg

E08A6B59-1994-4BAC-8369-BDE32A8937FE.jpeg

1AA08482-DA61-412F-8DCE-0FDEA0622A68.jpeg

F579ACB7-513D-496C-A5BF-505286B45958.jpeg

CA7D72D2-CEEF-4773-8385-A45EB582452E.jpeg

CB007B23-4226-4EC8-A1E0-7D025AA0758B.jpeg

8DC44413-2345-44D1-BA78-3AA4BCE09F99.jpeg

9E9526B0-19B1-4263-932C-E058D0B8F619.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DougH said:

How close did you get to Hubbard

This was taken with a point and shoot camera, no zoom, of the Island Princess at Hubbard Glacier.  We went on the boat tour to the glacier, where the photo was takenimage.jpeg.95e5da7957b8a68e2a580a99d26f85d0.jpeg

Same camera, opposite direction, no zoom

image.jpeg.56f8bf280afb9a3924445a2ac5f51432.jpegp

• Like 1