Holland America shore excursions last minute cancel

kabob21

Holland America Eurodam from Seattle to Alaska have canceled our almost entire shore excursions pre paid. Im told there are  issues with no alternative given to us. So sorry we have nothing for you.., so why are we paying suite class level with little left to do with Holland America apparently having no other co tavts in Alaska?

On HAL, being in a suite doesn't affect in any way what excursions are offered to you. The person in the cheapest inside cabin is offered the same excursions, and paying the same for excursions as you. 

I seriously doubt another cruise line can just create excursions out of thin air for their suite pax, if local providers aren't providing.

What is a "co tavts"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is a "co tavts"?

I am curious too.

What are your ports?  Look at that thread at the top of this page titled "2019 resources ...." as it contains a number of websites for the various visitor bureaus.  From there you may find some local vendors, but be aware that Alaska, like much of the US, is experiencing a serious labor shortage.

I'm on the same itinerary; ports are Juneau, Glacier Bay day with ISP in the evening, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Three of mine were cancelled - Misty Fjords cruise in Ketchikan and both Craigdarroch Castle and then Butchart Gardens in Victoria (the former was several weeks in advance, as the castle wouldn't be open evenings at all this season).

We're fortunate that our highest priority excursions (dogsledding in Juneau and whale watching in Icy Strait) were still operating. I'd certainly be disappointed if all of mine had been cancelled.

11 hours ago, kabob21 said:

Holland America Eurodam from Seattle to Alaska have canceled our almost entire shore excursions pre paid. Im told there are  issues with no alternative given to us. So sorry we have nothing for you.., so why are we paying suite class level with little left to do with Holland America apparently having no other co tavts in Alaska?

Not such good news, how ahead of your cruise did you get this notice?

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

On HAL, being in a suite doesn't affect in any way what excursions are offered to you. The person in the cheapest inside cabin is offered the same excursions, and paying the same for excursions as you. 

I seriously doubt another cruise line can just create excursions out of thin air for their suite pax, if local providers aren't providing.

What is a "co tavts"?

I agree with both statements. I don't ever remember any extra offerings or preferential treatment regarding excursion when in a suite on HAL.

OP, how soon is your cruise and what excursions were cancelled? 

5 hours ago, strickerj said:

I'm on the same itinerary; ports are Juneau, Glacier Bay day with ISP in the evening, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Three of mine were cancelled - Misty Fjords cruise in Ketchikan and both Craigdarroch Castle and then Butchart Gardens in Victoria (the former was several weeks in advance, as the castle wouldn't be open evenings at all this season).

We're fortunate that our highest priority excursions (dogsledding in Juneau and whale watching in Icy Strait) were still operating. I'd certainly be disappointed if all of mine had been cancelled.

Will time in port allow you to do Butchart Gardens on your own? A taxi to/from would be expensive, but there's a bus service.

• Like 1

Carnival canceled many excursions on my May 2 cruise on Carnival Splendor cruise.  They said the vendors they used were having issues getting enough employees and some supply issues, just like many businesses around the country.

The best option is to book independent excursions. Most people who booked independently had no issues with cancellations. The independent excursions also tend to be less crowded, last longer and are usually cheaper than those offered through the ship. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Will time in port allow you to do Butchart Gardens on your own? A taxi to/from would be expensive, but there's a bus service.

Unfortunately no; our arrival time was changed from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. We're just going to hang around downtown for a couple hours instead.