Walking tour of Venice?

Lindancer

We will be in Venice for a couple of days before our cruise.  My husband and I have been there a couple of times before, even spending a whole week in September of 2016.  But now we will be with our 18-year old grandson, and I can't help but think he would enjoy hearing a bit about the city from an expert.  Does anyone have any suggestions for local guides or tours?

Thanks in advance!

Linda

I'm not sure if this would be breaking any forum rules, but there's a free app from a famous travel guy who's often on PBS.  It includes four different Venice walking tours.  The one that really surprised me (in a very good way) was the Frari Church tour.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Venice is pretty small.  Tight, confusing,  yes. But not really hard. Noreal need for a tour. Just walk with open mind and eyes.

Yes, I can find my way around Venice by myself (maybe not without getting lost a few times, ha ha ).  But I am looking for someone who can explain some of Venice' interesting history, along with some interesting anecdotes perhaps, and some off-the-beaten path sites.  Just looking at the architecture doesn't really say anything.

Context Travel offers some small group Venice tours; may be a bit heavy for an 18-year-old though, depending on interest level.

Honestly I would advise booking one of the guided tours for the Doges Palace, which gives a fair amount of background about Venice's history and how it was governed. Also very interesting for my DS (mid 20s) and I was booking one of the official tours of the Jewish ghetto that includes entry to several of the synagogues and a good guided tour that provides history for that particular part of Venice.

The rest can be covered by judicious use of a guidebook, in my opinion. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

You could have a look at Guru Walks, which are "free" (tip at the end). I recently did one in London, which was great as there were only 8 of us signed up for it, and one in Rome, which was also good but the group was way too big (50 people). A third, in Naples, had to be cancelled because the guide changed the time, making it unworkable. Obviously you're not going to get in-depth info but it sounds like you just want a brief overview so you might find one that works for you.

https://www.guruwalk.com/venice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

You could have a look at Guru Walks, which are "free" (tip at the end). I recently did one in London, which was great as there were only 8 of us signed up for it, and one in Rome, which was also good but the group was way too big (50 people). A third, in Naples, had to be cancelled because the guide changed the time, making it unworkable. Obviously you're not going to get in-depth info but it sounds like you just want a brief overview so you might find one that works for you.

https://www.guruwalk.com/venice

Excellent suggestion!  We took a free walking tour in Rome in 2019, but it didn't occur to me to check it out in Venice.  Thanks!

• Like 1