Carnival Freedom Funnel Fire

d12j28

1 minute ago, d12j28 said:

Saw something on another site that said the Freedom was on fire. No injuries reported. Can't find much about it at the moment. Anyone seen or heard anything???

Yes John Heald conformed it on his FB page. He didn't post about it but responded to someone asking. 

• Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

looks similar to the carnival triumph fire back in the day

Agree definitely a hot fire to damage that wing like that. No telling what below looks like.

Edited by BasicSailor

Currently on the Mardi Gras in Grand Turk.  Lee, our cruise director, made several announcements this morning and the Captain ordered everyone to clear the open decks and for guests in starboard balconies to go back inside their cabins. We are on the port side and everything appeared normal from there.   

According to Lee,  the Carnival Freedom was having an issue with its funnel.  However, since the wind was blowing away from us on the MG, our gangways opened abut 8 a.m. 

So the fire is out, thankfully.  Hopefully everything is under control. 

E57B8AA1-F622-4560-B535-BC4963C21066.jpeg

• Thanks 2

There were videos of this fire all over the internet. Lots of black smoke, and they were attempting to fight the fire from the decks below with fire hoses. It didn't appear the water from the hoses was reaching the funnel, but that may be not be true. Glad it was in port, and not underway when the fire broke out. I'll be curious to learn more about this!

Edited by hillbillycruisers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

I’m supposed to sail on Freedom on Saturday….this is concerning. Will call carnival later today and ask about it.

I'd start looking for alternative sailings asap

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, markp9114 said:

I’m supposed to sail on Freedom on Saturday….this is concerning. Will call carnival later today and ask about it.

I’m sure Carnival will make an announcement and notify those affected as soon as they know. I would be making alternative plans.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Curious if this is just a fire in the funnel (maybe build up?) or if it's an engine fire that erupted out the funnel.  

This was from John Heald:

An update for you on CARNIVAL FREEDOM and I will make a new post as soon as I have any further information.  Earlier this morning, Carnival Freedom's emergency response team quickly activated and extinguished a fire inside the ship’s funnel while the ship was in Grand Turk. All guests and crew are safe, and the ship’s guests were cleared by local authorities to go ashore. We continue to assess the situation. Thank you all for your concern and for those of you who are booked on a future cruise on her I know you will have questions so we’re working on all the scenarios and I promise I will share any news with you as soon as I can. Can I also say a massive bravo to the crew who did an incredible job to extinguish the fire. And again most importantly there were no injuries.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone here have knowledge of the ship's construction and what could have started a fire up there?   All I'm coming up with is accumulated soot in the exhaust stack catching fire, but that's just totally speculation and way too premature.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1