Nausea and Vomiting on Carnival Magic now docked in VA -- Toxic Fumes

Does anyone have any more information about what is going on on the Magic in Virginia? News articles are claiming chemical fumes made a number of people ill (nausea and vomiting -- sounds like a COVID superspreader event!) and the US Military is boarding the empty ship to investigate. Anyone on her most recent cruise?

https://nypost.com/2022/05/26/carnival-cruise-ship-docked-in-virginia-after-chemical-fume-report/

Guest BasicSailor

It's all-over social media today. As well as the Freedom fire. Carnival can't win for loosing this week.

They were offered comped cruise, wiped sail and sign, $1500 cash, and I believe $2000 FCC. And supposedly must sign an agreement. There is a video floating around that shows the Captain speaking to the passengers explaining the offer.

• Like 2

At about 7:53 of this video you will see an officer on Magic telling passengers what offer Carnival is making to get them to sign a release. 

The offer is:

Comping this cruise and all sign and sail charges, $1500 cash per cabin, and $2000 FCC.

That seems like a lot and I get the impression Carnival is nervous about this one.

I would keep an eye on stock prices

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, finoky said:

They were offered comped cruise, wiped sail and sign, $1500 cash, and I believe $2000 FCC. And supposedly must sign an agreement. There is a video floating around that shows the Captain speaking to the passengers explaining the offer.

If they're offering that much now, think of how much a lawyer can squeeze out of them.

Kiss your bacon and diamond party goodbye for good if this is what it looks like.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Guest BasicSailor
12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If they're offering that much now, think of how much a lawyer can squeeze out of them.

Kiss your bacon and diamond party goodbye for good if this is what it looks like.

See the source image🤣

Wow, so almost $3000 in compensation and having to sign an NDA?  guess that's generous but what is Carnival affraid of in terms of people speaking to the press? Could they be afraid of fines?

I was on a Carnival ship pre-pandemic and the maintenance crew were painting some railings. It was the strongest chemical smell I've ever encountered. I could see how some paint, if indoors, was making people sick.

Can anyone comment on the paint, varnish etc that ships use? Do they not follow OSHA laws?

@chengkp75

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilovesailaway said:

At about 7:53 of this video you will see an officer on Magic telling passengers what offer Carnival is making to get them to sign a release. 

The offer is:

Comping this cruise and all sign and sail charges, $1500 cash per cabin, and $2000 FCC.

That seems like a lot and I get the impression Carnival is nervous about this one.

I would keep an eye on stock prices

You reference the Magic incident, but the title for the vidoe references the Freedom fire????

So it sounds like Carnival is attempting to get people to sign away any right to sue for long term health effects. 

This sounds kind of desperate (and I might add Chicken $H**) on Carnival's part, especially since nobody yet knows whether or not they might have long term effects until they visit their doctor when they get home.  This could be especially bad for children.

Edited by groundloop

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Think how much bacon lawyers would keep for themselves. Probably only a few shards left to split between the passengers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Actually, all of this would come from their P&I insurance.

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Wow, so almost $3000 in compensation and having to sign an NDA?  guess that's generous but what is Carnival affraid of in terms of people speaking to the press? Could they be afraid of fines?

I was on a Carnival ship pre-pandemic and the maintenance crew were painting some railings. It was the strongest chemical smell I've ever encountered. I could see how some paint, if indoors, was making people sick.

Can anyone comment on the paint, varnish etc that ships use? Do they not follow OSHA laws?

@chengkp75

No, of course they don't follow OSHA laws, those only apply to the US.  I know that epoxy paint, that might be used on the exterior of the ship, can have toxic fumes, but usually when in a confined space.  Some specialized coatings use styrene, and these can create extremely toxic fumes, but their use is limited to things like coating potable water tanks.  I'm surmising that they painted in proximity to a fresh air intake, and the fumes were carried into the ship's interior.  It could also be a case of them using the wrong paint for the situation, and the fumes were again carried into the ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I have been on decks where they're painting before (they close off the immediate area obviously, but they don't close off the entire deck) and the smell is very strong. I could only imagine what it smells like in an enclosed area.

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, paint it."

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, all of this would come from their P&I insurance.

No, of course they don't follow OSHA laws, those only apply to the US.  I know that epoxy paint, that might be used on the exterior of the ship, can have toxic fumes, but usually when in a confined space.  Some specialized coatings use styrene, and these can create extremely toxic fumes, but their use is limited to things like coating potable water tanks.  I'm surmising that they painted in proximity to a fresh air intake, and the fumes were carried into the ship's interior.  It could also be a case of them using the wrong paint for the situation, and the fumes were again carried into the ship.

From some googling, I read that the US Coast Guard is responsible for cruise ship safety... (https://www.transportation.gov/mission/safety/passenger-cruise-ship-information)

So could one assume that the USCG would take\make a report and that would be public record?

I guess I just don't understand the need for guests to sign an NDA for purposes of taking the "settlement" offer. But perhaps I answered my own question. Perhaps the offer was a settlement and in the fine print, guests cannot file lawsuits.

• Like 1

Good luck proving long term harm from such a short and diluted exposure.  I would be more worried if they reported trouble breathing or eyes burning than nausea.   But I  also wonder about such a large offer.  NDA or confidentiality is almost always included in any settlement.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Is the offer being made to people who have complained, everyone on the affected decks, or everyone on the ship?

From the video it looked like it was a very small group of passengers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Is the offer being made to people who have complained, everyone on the affected decks, or everyone on the ship?

Great questions and I have not seen the answers. 

It was also reported in the video I attached that passengers who sought medical attention were being charged $. That is crazy. I know I have read here that the MD on board is a private contractor but that is not cool. Causing someone to need medical attention then charging them for it?  wow

11 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Good luck proving long term harm from such a short and diluted exposure.  I would be more worried if they reported trouble breathing or eyes burning than nausea.....

That comes down to what the guests were exposed to, so far it sounds like nobody knows for sure.

4 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Does anyone have any more information about what is going on on the Magic in Virginia? News articles are claiming chemical fumes made a number of people ill (nausea and vomiting -- sounds like a COVID superspreader event!) and the US Military is boarding the empty ship to investigate. Anyone on her most recent cruise?

https://nypost.com/2022/05/26/carnival-cruise-ship-docked-in-virginia-after-chemical-fume-report/

Why would you even add "Covid Super Spreader Event" absolutely no fact to that statement, just trying ti create fear🙄

• Thanks 5