Britannia Formal Dress

bee-ess

1 hour ago, Pine Man said:

Why would they need to do that?

Given that most of the 'Formal Dress' cruises are virtually fully booked, why should they worry about the concerns of a few 'non-conformists' and just continue as they are 'without upsetting the sensibilities of the more traditional cruisers'.

We all make are choices of cruise based on our preferences and what is being offered. For that very reason my wife and I will never use Iona, for example, as only Freedom Dining is offered. We certainly won't just go on it and then complain later on this forum about the lack of club dining!

I don’t complain on the forum about P&O rules regarding formal nights. And the so-called non-conformists aren’t really non-conformists because we still follows the rules, and just avoid the venues which require formal attire. And to repeat what I’ve also said many times, I feel that my attire is, if anything, smarter than some ladies who squeeze themselves into ill-fitting dresses. Formal does not mean smarter! 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Fionboard said:

If you do not like dressing up for dinner there are loads of lines you can go on!

Including many which are much more "up market" than P&O; Viking, Oceania, Azamara, Emerald, Star Clippers, and Regent Seven Seas for example. Indeed, as a general rule the more up market a line is the less formal the dress code, althouth there are of course exceptions: Saga for example.

Edited by Denarius
Post expanded
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Totally correct up to the point about Iona we are going on her sister ship next year, We will try it out before we make any decisions about our likes or dislikes

Iona has 4 main dining rooms including 2 smaller ones. On Arvia those 2 smaller ones are being repurposed to the Olive Grove and a '5th Street Diner', whatever that is.

So they are having less options for formality on Arvia.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 7:16 AM, cruise saint said:

Formal nights are a big part of the cruise experience for us. I do struggle to understand why people book P&O if they are so against formal nights.  I understand they're not for everyone,  but my wife loves the opportunity to put the glad rags on. And you'd be surprised how many people mistake me for Daniel Craig when I have my tuxedo on. (I was surprised anyway - there were none!).  The reduction in formal nights on Iona has put us off cruising on her, and I really hope Arvia doesn't see the same pattern. 

I fear the march towards non formal cruises is gathering pace. Myself and my wife both love the chance to dress up. But during my time cruising, since 2002 I do believe that P&O have deliberately phrased questionnaires so as to confuse and many questions relate or have related to whether passengers would rather dumb down. I am aware that in all aspects of life now people prefer to go casual and that not everyone goes on holiday to dress up rather than dress down. Maybe myself and wife should have been born in a different era as we both love Art Deco 1920-30's and although taking in the war years the 1940's.

7 hours ago, Orianababes said:

Hello

unless exactly half want formal and half wanting casual it would impossible to put in place

Current Britannia cruise was well supported on formal night old and young alike. When we take our grandchildren on board they all enjoy the chance to dress up.  Ages range 11 to 18.

It might be slightly problematic for P&O, but most things are. Experience provides information for future planning.

Not doing anything will certainly be costing P&O money, because those who don’t want the restrictions imposed simply don’t book with P&O.

They won’t know how many potential customers they’re losing, because it’s impossible to calculate, but reasonable adjustments to keep them booking makes a lot of financial sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orianababes said:

Hello

unless exactly half want formal and half wanting casual it would impossible to put in place

Current Britannia cruise was well supported on formal night old and young alike. When we take our grandchildren on board they all enjoy the chance to dress up.  Ages range 11 to 18.

Do not necessarily agree with your first paragraph. You assume that those in black tie would only be permited to use the restaurant in which it was obligatory. But on the cruise to which I referred they were permitted to use either.

In practice the majority of passengers would probably wear black tie on formal nights even if formal dining was available for those who chose not to. This was certainly the case on the Saga cruise. So one restaurant was occupied only by those dressed formally, the other a mixture of formal and smart casual. It worked well. The only problem would occur if a majority chose not to adopt black tie, but should this occur regularly it would surely call into question the future of formal nights if they were clearly not supported by the majority of passengers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

But during my time cruising, since 2002 I do believe that P&O have deliberately phrased questionnaires so as to confuse and many questions relate or have related to whether passengers would rather dumb down.

Whilst that may be true I also believe that the relaxing of "formal" is probably more to do with the vociferous ones who do not want it. There are more who complain about formal night, both on questionaires and especially on social media than there are who advocate keeping it - which is not to say that that is the correct balance in the real world.

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I fear the march towards non formal cruises is gathering pace. Myself and my wife both love the chance to dress up. But during my time cruising, since 2002 I do believe that P&O have deliberately phrased questionnaires so as to confuse and many questions relate or have related to whether passengers would rather dumb down. I am aware that in all aspects of life now people prefer to go casual and that not everyone goes on holiday to dress up rather than dress down. Maybe myself and wife should have been born in a different era as we both love Art Deco 1920-30's and although taking in the war years the 1940's.

I respect your views, but I have to say that I hate the phrase ‘dumb down’. Rather condescending in any context.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I respect your views, but I have to say that I hate the phrase ‘dumb down’. Rather condescending in any context.  

When you look at some of the formal suits that look like they have been in the bottom of the wardrobe for years and don't fit anymore, or  16"dress shirts going around a 17" neck, I tend to agree with you. Still, I suppose they think that's smart.🤣

• Like 4

On our last but one cruise, I split something down my suit on the first formal night, but never noticed it until second one, clearly couldn’t wear it, so wore the blue jacket I also pack, plus some blue trousers that almost matched, shirt and blue tie and wasn’t challenging when we went to the MDR, technically I wasn’t wearing a suit, but was in smart casual, but no one seemed to notice. 

The said dinner suit was cleaned on return home, I no longer have it as was given to charity shop in order to make space in my wardrobe for more casual wear. I still own one suit, which is a tight fit to get into and I have no intention of replacing the dinner suit, so on next cruise might have to “wing” it once again to get into MDR or I could wear the “formal t-shirt”. 😬

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

When you look at some of the formal suits that look like they have been in the bottom of the wardrobe for years and don't fit anymore, or  16"dress shirts going around a 17" neck, I tend to agree with you. Still, I suppose they think that's smart.🤣

I must be very unobservant as I have never come across any shabby ill fitting tuxedos in my our 35 cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

No. I’ve also seen plenty of them. 

It's probably my imagination, but I seem to recall bellies hanging over waist bands. Put on a DJ and posh frock and you are very smart. A bit like Sir Les Patterson.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It's probably my imagination, but I seem to recall bellies hanging over waist bands. Put on a DJ and posh frock and you are very smart. A bit like Sir Les Patterson.🤣

Spot on! I think the mind plays tricks with people and they seem to think that they’re instantly smart wearing so-called formal attire! 

• Like 3