Britannia Formal Dress

bee-ess

Can anyone who has been on Britannia recently tell me if Formal Dress is being followed or not..

We have read reports on FB that implies that it is not being followed by many, although nothing referred to Britannia specifically. We don't want to take the formal clothes if it is not being followed.

Also we go in September and have 2nd sitting dining booked on our confirmation but not sure if fixed dining is in use.

Hi

Not been aboard for 2 years so cannot answer your question directly. I will put forward my personal opinion and know that others will differ. 
Due on Britannia in a couple of days. There are scheduled 4 formal evenings. I hope that they take place and that everyone adheres to the dress code where it is obligatory.

Repeat personal opinion only

I will try and remember to feedback my experience to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently on Britannia and formal is probably followed by the majority but that may be dependant on where you happen to be.

Formal is required in all MDRs, Crows Nest and Epicurean.

1 hour ago, bee-ess said:

not sure if fixed dining is in use.

It currently is in use

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, david63 said:

Currently on Britannia and formal is probably followed by the majority but that may be dependant on where you happen to be.

It currently is in use

Thanks, glad it is still being followed and also pleased about the fixed dining.

Formal nights are a big part of the cruise experience for us. I do struggle to understand why people book P&O if they are so against formal nights.  I understand they're not for everyone,  but my wife loves the opportunity to put the glad rags on. And you'd be surprised how many people mistake me for Daniel Craig when I have my tuxedo on. (I was surprised anyway - there were none!).  The reduction in formal nights on Iona has put us off cruising on her, and I really hope Arvia doesn't see the same pattern. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I believe formal nights on the two new ships will possibly be phased out as the target  passengers would appear to be the younger element who by and large do not always want ,or believe in formal attire. I agree with your point about people booking with P and O when fully aware of the dress code, whoever we book with it is with the full understanding of their accepted standards 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, david63 said:

It currently is in use

I can second that. Well followed in all nights

6 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I believe formal nights on the two new ships will possibly be phased out as the target  passengers would appear to be the younger element who by and large do not always want ,or believe in formal attire. I agree with your point about people booking with P and O when fully aware of the dress code, whoever we book with it is with the full understanding of their accepted standards 

We dislike, but don't hate formal nights. When we book P&O we do so knowing we will have to pack formal wear. As you say, if folk aren't prepared to dress up, book somewhere else. If they phase out formal, all to the good, but I will still find vests and hairy armpits disagreeable, even on Ladies.🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

We love cruising with P&O but often opt out of the formal nights - i.e we still dress smart casual but don’t use the MDR or visit the bars where formal attire is required. We’re more than fully aware of the dress code and always follow the rules. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

We dislike, but don't hate formal nights. When we book P&O we do so knowing we will have to pack formal wear. As you say, if folk aren't prepared to dress up, book somewhere else. If they phase out formal, all to the good, but I will still find vests and hairy armpits disagreeable, even on Ladies.🤣

We also dislike, rather than hate formal nights. For a short cruise, we don’t take any formal wear but dodge the venue where formal wear is required. Easily done! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

We love cruising with P&O but often opt out of the formal nights - i.e we still dress smart casual but don’t use the MDR or visit the bars where formal attire is required. We’re more than fully aware of the dress code and always follow the rules. 

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

We also dislike, rather than hate formal nights. For a short cruise, we don’t take any formal wear but dodge the venue where formal wear is required. Easily done! 

Like you, I dislike formal nights, though my wife likes them.  I go along with it, playing by the rules with a dark suit, but only in order to eat in the MDR.

It's an anachronism with today's P&O - a bit like Prezzo demanding that you dress for dinner.  I can see why they do it, because it makes the whole dining experience seem grander than it actually is, and a lot of people like it, but I don't like the falsity of it.  Horses for courses, though - plenty of people do, though the percentage is falling fast with a younger customer base and I'd guess it'll soon be dropped.  As soon as their research shows that it alienates more people than it attracts, that's it gone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Like you, I dislike formal nights, though my wife likes them.  I go along with it, playing by the rules with a dark suit, but only in order to eat in the MDR.

It's an anachronism with today's P&O - a bit like Prezzo demanding that you dress for dinner.  I can see why they do it, because it makes the whole dining experience seem grander than it actually is, and a lot of people like it, but I don't like the falsity of it.  Horses for courses, though - plenty of people do, though the percentage is falling fast with a younger customer base and I'd guess it'll soon be dropped.  As soon as their research shows that it alienates more people than it attracts, that's it gone.

I don't like or dislike formal nights  but if we want to eat in the MDR on that night then we always follow the dress code.

But its not only P&O that continue with this, anachronism or not, Princess, Celebrity, RCI and many other cruise lines continue with this feature, which is reminiscent of the grander days of pre war cruising.

I don't know how long it will continue but I doubt I will live long enough to see its final demise.

• Like 1

I don't dislike formal nights but I do feel that they are outdated.  I personally prefer smart casual but we do take formal wear when we cruise.  I do dislike that ships continue to have formal nights but don't enforce it, either have formal or don't but for goodness sake be consistent. If it is a formal night then stop letting people wear jeans and tee-shirts in the MDR and bars where it has been specified as requiring formal wear.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I don't like or dislike formal nights  but if we want to eat in the MDR on that night then we always follow the dress code.

But its not only P&O that continue with this, anachronism or not, Princess, Celebrity, RCI and many other cruise lines continue with this feature, which is reminiscent of the grander days of pre war cruising.

I don't know how long it will continue but I doubt I will live long enough to see its final demise.

Celebrity don't do 'proper' formal. Just resort casual and smart. First time I thought resort casual was Speedo's and flip flops.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't dislike formal nights but I do feel that they are outdated.  I personally prefer smart casual but we do take formal wear when we cruise.  I do dislike that ships continue to have formal nights but don't enforce it, either have formal or don't but for goodness sake be consistent. If it is a formal night then stop letting people wear jeans and tee-shirts in the MDR and bars where it has been specified as requiring formal wear.

Completely agree……

• Like 2

I kind of like the formal nights now and then. It would be better if the atmosphere etc ramps up a notch too, but often it doesn’t: similarly beige fayre in the MDR, the usual entertainment (decent enough for what it is)……..just a kind of anticlimax. It’s like we’re making an effort but P&O doesn’t. But I do like seeing others all dolled up and enjoying themselves.

• Like 1

We have cruised with P&O for many years at Christmas and New Year. We are definitely in the old fogie class and like the formal nights. However, contrary to the views expressed by others about the “younger element” not wanting to dress up we have always been amazed at the effort they make and generally look fabulous ( oh to be younger again!!). So we would be amazed if P&O did away with the concept of formal nights. Also I might add that we have also cruised on Marella who have “dress to impress” nights and we have been pleasantly surprised at the standard of dress adopted by the vast majority of guests. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well this is going well, isn’t it?  How does everyone feel about tipping?  😇

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well this is going well, isn’t it?  How does everyone feel about tipping?  😇

Don't start that argument. Goes on for ages. Each to their own!

I recently took my first cruise with Saga (on Spirit of Adventure) which like P&O still have formal nights. There were two main restaurants - the dining room which was always waiter service, and the grill which offered a buffet at breakfast and lunch and waiter service with the same menu as the dining room at dinner. On formal nights, formal attire was required in the dining room whilst smart casual was acceptable in the grill and in all other areas. This worked well. Could not P&O adopt a similar system?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I recently took my first cruise with Saga (on Spirit of Adventure) which like P&O still have formal nights. There were two main restaurants - the dining room which was always waiter service, and the grill which offered a buffet at breakfast and lunch and waiter service with the same menu as the dining room at dinner. On formal nights, formal attire was required in the dining room whilst smart casual was acceptable in the grill and in all other areas. This worked well. Could not P&O adopt a similar system?

Sounds very sensible.  One of the main gripes with P&O is that if you don't want to dress up you're consigned to the buffet, and that's just ludicrous.  Smart casual rarely offends and I'd be very happy with that.

• Like 3