Has Anyone Used a Certificate of Recovery from Covid?

Miss Picante

We are finishing up our Covid quarantine  (the CDC website has been very helpful) and are looking forward to cruising again in July.

I have been reading that it is possible to test positive up to 90 days from the original Covid infection.  We are certainly hoping that isn’t going to be the case with us, but it’s something to be thinking about as a part of cruise preparations.

The Princess website Health Protocol sections mentions a Certificate of Recovery from a health care provider.

Has anyone had to do this?  How did it work?

My 84 year old dad caught covid the day he got off the Zuiderdam in January.   He had another cruise scheduled in April, so I suggested/insisted he get a PCR covid test in March to see if he still tested positive (which he did).   He was 3 weeks from sailing so he had proof that he had covid (from the PCR test) which he took to his doctor.   The doctor had to write a letter stating he had covid and had since recovered.   The letter had to include the doctor's letterhead, the date my dad tested positive, the fact that he had gone his 10 days in quarantine, my dad's name, DOB, the doctor's signature.   

My dad took this letter with him when he boarded the ship.  

My dad did an Antigen test 2 days prior to boarding which he tested negative.   The concern was if the ship ever did a PCR test (for whatever reason) that he would still test positive.   The letter was insurance in case this ever happened.  

Here is what is stated in the FAQ on the Princess website:

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 5.54.57 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

My 84 year old dad caught covid the day he got off the Zuiderdam in January.   He had another cruise scheduled in April, so I suggested/insisted he get a PCR covid test in March to see if he still tested positive (which he did).   He was 3 weeks from sailing so he had proof that he had covid (from the PCR test) which he took to his doctor.   The doctor had to write a letter stating he had covid and had since recovered.   The letter had to include the doctor's letterhead, the date my dad tested positive, the fact that he had gone his 10 days in quarantine, my dad's name, DOB, the doctor's signature.   

My dad took this letter with him when he boarded the ship.  

My dad did an Antigen test 2 days prior to boarding which he tested negative.   The concern was if the ship ever did a PCR test (for whatever reason) that he would still test positive.   The letter was insurance in case this ever happened.  

Here is what is stated in the FAQ on the Princess website:

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 5.54.57 AM.png

Couldn't you have just used the positive test result from the lab without getting letter from a doctor? Doesn't the above state one  "OR" the other ? I am confused why someone would need this letter if you have the original positive test?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LImom said:

Couldn't you have just used the positive test result from the lab without getting letter from a doctor? Doesn't the above state one  "OR" the other ? I am confused why someone would need this letter if you have the original positive test?

My dad was cruising on HAL and that was their requirement at the time.  You needed the positive test result as well as the doctor's letter.   Things change daily.....My dad wanted everything so there would be no confusion should he be tested for whatever reason.   In his words "better safe than sorry"

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion but I was looking at the current requirement (that you included in your post above) for Princess and was trying to see if the OP could possibly use "one OR the other" as proof of recovery incase they continue to test positive. It is much easier to show proof of a positive test ( for example the original positive PCR test from CVS or Walgreens) than to have to go to your physician and obtain a letter of recovery. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LImom said:

Sorry for the confusion but I was looking at the current requirement (that you included in your post above) for Princess and was trying to see if the OP could possibly use "one OR the other" as proof of recovery incase they continue to test positive. It is much easier to show proof of a positive test ( for example the original positive PCR test from CVS or Walgreens) than to have to go to your physician and obtain a letter of recovery. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

You need the letter.

I just talked to "Catherine" at Princess (after a lengthy hold!)  who told me that "OR" does indeed mean "OR" and that people only need to bring one or the other of the listed documents.

I have the positive PCR test results from CVS and plan on bringing that "just in case". Catherine told me this was all I needed and that I did not have to provide a letter as well.

Since this is important and testing requirements are subject to change, I would still suggest that anyone else needing to use this provision go ahead and contact Princess themselves prior to their cruise and please report back here if you are told differently.

• Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Miss Picante said:

I just talked to "Catherine" at Princess (after a lengthy hold!)  who told me that "OR" does indeed mean "OR" and that people only need to bring one or the other of the listed documents.

I have the positive PCR test results from CVS and plan on bringing that "just in case". Catherine told me this was all I needed and that I did not have to provide a letter as well.

Since this is important and testing requirements are subject to change, I would still suggest that anyone else needing to use this provision go ahead and contact Princess themselves prior to their cruise and please report back here if you are told differently.

I am planning on bringing my positive PCR test results on my upcoming cruise and canceled the appointment with my doctor because of what Princess clearly has written stated in their policy on their website.  I think other cruiselines may require the letter of recovery but it looks as though Princess does not.  

I also plan on getting a PCR test three days prior to my sailing, even though I full well know that it could still show a positive result even though I am fully recovered.  My rapid antigen tests are showing as negative so if they want to test me again at the pier, I am fine with that.   And hey, I may even test negative so, why not go the easy route since my DH has to get tested and we have our appointments all set up?  

• Like 1

@Cruise Raider and @Miss Picante When are you sailing and from what departure port?  If you remember can you come back and post what your experience was like. I unfortunately am in the same situation as both of you so I would appreciate the first hand knowledge. 

(edit: just noticed from first post that Miss Picante is sailing in July )

Edited by LImom
updated

2 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

If you are flying back into the USA at the end of your cruise you need both or a negative test to get on the plane.

Just flew back to the USA after completing quarantine in the UK.   Unless EZAir entered DH would be flying on a Letter of Recovery,

nobody asked.   Also the LOR issued by Princess is not accepted by all airlines.

36 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

If you are flying back into the USA at the end of your cruise you need both or a negative test to get on the plane.

32 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Just flew back to the USA after completing quarantine in the UK.   Unless EZAir entered DH would be flying on a Letter of Recovery,

nobody asked.   Also the LOR issued by Princess is not accepted by all airlines.

Thank you for your responses which are very helpful but my concern (and I think the OP's as well) isnt with the airline policies and quarantine  but those strictly of Princess Cruises in regard to boarding the ship ( in my case the US).

3 hours ago, LImom said:

@Cruise Raider and @Miss Picante When are you sailing and from what departure port?  If you remember can you come back and post what your experience was like. I unfortunately am in the same situation as both of you so I would appreciate the first hand knowledge. 

(edit: just noticed from first post that Miss Picante is sailing in July )

I am sailing in and out of San Francisco in one week … so, I will let you know from the ship .. or from my home if the positive test results from a couple of weeks ago doesn’t work.  I live near the port so am willing to take the chance.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am sailing in and out of San Francisco in one week … so, I will let you know from the ship .. or from my home if the positive test results from a couple of weeks ago doesn’t work.  I live near the port so am willing to take the chance.  

The problem with a positive test from a few weeks ago does not prove  whether you have been reinfected   A friend got infected 3 times in a 12 month period

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you @Cruise Raider, I am sailing at the end of the month so your experience will be very helpful. Hope it goes smoothly and you enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure why you all are jumping through these hoops.  My understanding is that it’s only the more sensitive PCR test that shows positive for past Covid infections for 90 days.  A rapid antigen test should come back negative (depending on #days past infection 14-25).  I had covid in February and sailed with a negative antigen test in April.  I didn’t bother trying to get a letter of recovery and while I did report my positive test to my medical group I used a home test so I didn’t have a lab test to show Princess but it didn’t matter.  The rapid test is accepted.

It’s worth it to at least have an antigen test done to see if it’s positive or negative  instead of worrying about what Princess will accept. 

• Like 2

I am in this same position.  We sail in less than 2 weeks and just had covid. From what Princess told me, it was an OR. The main thing is they need to see the test date of a positive more than 10 days prior to sailing. I'm going to attempt to also get a recovery letter so we have both. Idk if this is easier or just testing would be lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, t&atravel said:

I’m not sure why you all are jumping through these hoops.  My understanding is that it’s only the more sensitive PCR test that shows positive for past Covid infections for 90 days.  A rapid antigen test should come back negative (depending on #days past infection 14-25).  I had covid in February and sailed with a negative antigen test in April.  I didn’t bother trying to get a letter of recovery and while I did report my positive test to my medical group I used a home test so I didn’t have a lab test to show Princess but it didn’t matter.  The rapid test is accepted.

It’s worth it to at least have an antigen test done to see if it’s positive or negative  instead of worrying about what Princess will accept. 

I can only speak for myself, but my issue is that the only testing near me that I can schedule is either from Walgreens or CVs and neither one of those offer an antigen test. I have the original documented PCR test from a couple of weeks ago and I have already done the at home antigen test (non monitored) which is negative, so I was trying to figure out the easiest way to board the ship. I do not want to go the EMed route  if it is not necessary  nor search for a location near the departure port to have the rapid test monitored and have to pay out of pocket for a family of 4 (we all were positive and now negative) if Princess will accept the  original PCR results at the pier. I am planning on taking a PCR test prior to sailing  (along with my family) and hope that we are negative but I would like to have a plan B just in case.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:57 AM, LImom said:

I can only speak for myself, but my issue is that the only testing near me that I can schedule is either from Walgreens or CVs and neither one of those offer an antigen test. I have the original documented PCR test from a couple of weeks ago and I have already done the at home antigen test (non monitored) which is negative, so I was trying to figure out the easiest way to board the ship. I do not want to go the EMed route  if it is not necessary  nor search for a location near the departure port to have the rapid test monitored and have to pay out of pocket for a family of 4 (we all were positive and now negative) if Princess will accept the  original PCR results at the pier. I am planning on taking a PCR test prior to sailing  (along with my family) and hope that we are negative but I would like to have a plan B just in case.

That's exactly the situation we are in, too.  I don't want to try to find a place that has rapid antigen tests available since there is nothing nearby.  I am going to get my regular PCR test and if it still shows as positive, I'm just going to go with my test results from a couple of weeks ago. Princess clearly states they will take the original PCR results at the pier so, I'm definitely not stressing or going to any extra trouble. 

I am with you, paying for tests for a party of four is just an added expense I could do without.  

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I also plan on getting a PCR test three days prior to my sailing, even though I full well know that it could still show a positive result even though I am fully recovered.  My rapid antigen tests are showing as negative so if they want to test me again at the pier, I am fine with that.  

I also recovered from Covid recently. My  health provider ( Kaiser Permanente) won’t do any PCR tests for 90 days because they typically will show positive even though you have recovered ( it has to do with what the test measures according to my doctor).  They suggested getting the antigen test 10 days after my positive test. Sure enough, I tested negative.  After Covid recovery Antigen is the way to go in y experience. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 5:28 PM, takemeaway2008 said:

Can I use the antigen test as positive proof? We did that one, not the PCR.

Hopefully, getting the note from the Dr. won't be difficult. 

As long as the test was done by a lab. Per Princess the positive results need to be documented by a certified lab.

3F0DAFE1-D01B-4F3F-808D-BF3F789F7BC9.thumb.jpeg.aaa60dcc7bbbc5341c6773d1b739d07d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:43 PM, takemeaway2008 said:

Well, it was a drive up in the Mall parking lot but I think they qualify as a lab. It was done by people in smocks and masks in a little trailer. 

Thanks. 

Did they send them to a qualified lab, such as Quest?