Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I have been saying for years (pretty much since the DBP was introduced) that I won't buy it.  We aren't quite yet Diamond so no vouchers, but we cruise in (full) suites so we have access to evening cocktails in the CL, and we bring two bottles of wine onboard.  We do enjoy some beverages, but we don't drink all day.  We don't drink many soft drinks or specialty coffees, but we will have bottled water and my wife likes OJ with her breakfast. 

Our drink expenses have always been less than what we'd have paid for the DBP, but for our next cruise, I went ahead and bought it - $65 during the Memorial Day sale.  It's not a good value, but neither are the drink prices onboard (although they are competitive with local prices).  I just decided that it's a vacation, so what the heck.  I won't consciously try to "get my money's worth", but I will probably drink more than normal, just because I won't be thinking about spending money.  It may mean that we don't visit the CL lounge as much.  And while I do enjoy that, I don't like the Scotch brands they serve there - I prefer Chivas or Johnnie to Dewar's.  

You might still want to go into the CL because even with your DBP any drink over $13.00 you will still have a bar tab for the difference. For those more expensive drinks you may get those in the CL for free because you are staying in a suite.

So know what you are drinking and where you are otherwise you are still going to have a bar tab even with a DBP.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

You don’t think it’s helpful, when someone complains about the drink package cost, for people to respond why they don’t buy it?  Some feel they need permission or reinforcement in their decision to forgo it. I can understand why it’s helpful to hear that it’s not for everyone, since there are so many threads with people stressing over it. 

I never once said or suggested otherwise.  

My point--from the beginning--has been that the bias and presumptions run overwhelmingly against purchasing the drink package, and people frequently resort to claims of alcoholism or people just trying to "get their money's worth" without any clear evidentiary basis for those statements.

This thread is Exhibit A.  Pretty much every other thread about the DBP could be added to the exhibit list.

Edited by baelor

1 minute ago, doppelganger2621 said:

US gratuity is added at checkout. The price displayed on the cruise planner front page does not include the 18%

Ah that makes sense, Royal were once ruled against by the UK advertising standards agency for misleading sales so I guess they might have just started including the gratuity in the quoted price. 

https://www.travellawquarterly.co.uk/resources/bulletins/asa-ruling-on-royal-caribbean/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Kicking off about what? That is the sticker price - pay it or don't buy the product.

Biker, who wonders how much the bean counters at RCI are liking the numbers.

Im starting to wonder if you dont get it....

If I pay 72$ I expect the quality to be good. Often its not. the price has shot up and quality often goes down.

2 hours ago, BND said:

I'd love to know what the "tipping" point would be for those that always buy the package in order for them to not buy it.

Probably around $130 per person per diem.  But at that point, unless the cruise is like $200 for 7 nights or something, I would probably be looking at all-inclusives as well.  I can get my favorite luxury AI for under $2k a person most of the time.  

Just now, baelor said:

Probably around $130 per person per diem.  But at that point, unless the cruise is like $200 for 7 nights or something, I would probably be looking at all-inclusives as well.  I can get my favorite luxury AI for under $2k a person most of the time.  

Ive started to price up the Drinks package, ultimate dining packs and wifi and daily gratuities and suddenly I can save money in a 5 star hotel in Mexico and a long haul flight to get there.... 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Ive started to price up the Drinks package, ultimate dining packs and wifi and daily gratuities and suddenly I can save money in a 5 star hotel in Mexico and a long haul flight to get there.... 

I do agree, they are charging luxury prices for a fairly standard product. Yes people pay a lot for a cocktail on land in certain places, but not one poured out of a pre-mix jug with no idea what's actually in it (never order a goombay smash!), or a splash of $3-a-carton island oasis and cheap generic rum. 

Edited by Mark_UK
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

If I pay 72$ I expect the quality to be good. Often its not. the price has shot up and quality often goes down.

Expecting something to be of $72 when others are getting at much less than half (UDP) or free (TA perk), is a recipe for disappointment.

11 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

I do agree, they are charging luxury prices for a fairly standard product.

And for some lines, a standard product that is dropping in quality. People will take a price increase or a drop in services, but both at the same time can easily offend. 

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Kicking off about what? That is the sticker price - pay it or don't buy the product.

Biker, who wonders how much the bean counters at RCI are liking the numbers.

But IS IT the real price?  

Here's what I'm thinking:  In my high school classroom, I use an article called "The Decoy Effect" as part of my Advertising unit.  The gist of it is that companies /advertisers sometimes create an extra item to make their target item look like a bargain.  

I always like examples:  Suppose you want to buy a bottle of wine.  The $40 option looks pretty expensive, but you're suspicious that the $10 bottle might be vinegar.  But say the company puts in a $50 bottle -- now THAT looks expensive, and suddenly the $40 feels like a moderate choice.  The company threw out the $50 as a decoy.  

Back to drink packages:  The drink package on my upcoming cruise is $73/day/person -- insane, in my opinion.  But are they maybe charging that price so they can later offer it for $60 and have it look like a bargain?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But are they maybe charging that price so they can later offer it for $60 and have it look like a bargain?  

Welcome 2014 when RCI started this marketing scheme and non-existent sticker prices.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Back to drink packages:  The drink package on my upcoming cruise is $73/day/person -- insane, in my opinion.  But are they maybe charging that price so they can later offer it for $60 and have it look like a bargain?  

Best I've seen in the past six months is the equivalent of 25% off of "full price", whether it be a straight 25% off or buy one get one 50% off.  It really doesn't vary that much.

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

RC always lists a decoy higher "original" price that the current "sale" price has been marked down from. Interestingly, when the price goes up it remains a "sale" price, and the decoy "original" price also increases. Always to make the current price look more attractive. 

35 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

But IS IT the real price?  

Here's what I'm thinking:  In my high school classroom, I use an article called "The Decoy Effect" as part of my Advertising unit.  The gist of it is that companies /advertisers sometimes create an extra item to make their target item look like a bargain.  

I always like examples:  Suppose you want to buy a bottle of wine.  The $40 option looks pretty expensive, but you're suspicious that the $10 bottle might be vinegar.  But say the company puts in a $50 bottle -- now THAT looks expensive, and suddenly the $40 feels like a moderate choice.  The company threw out the $50 as a decoy.  

I used to think there wasn't a bad red wine in the world. Just some better than others.  That was until I went on a royal ship and found some of the abominations they stock. Its like they actually advertised for the worst wine in the world just to get people to upgrade to the expensive ones. 

That fact a £5 wine from my local shop was better than their 50$ bottles also was just a "sigh" moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

I used to think there wasn't a bad red wine in the world. Just some better than others.  That was until I went on a royal ship and found some of the abominations they stock. Its like they actually advertised for the worst wine in the world just to get people to upgrade to the expensive ones. 

That fact a £5 wine from my local shop was better than their 50$ bottles also was just a "sigh" moment. 

The "champagne" and "prosecco" is pretty dire too, such a dark yellow and so bitter... pretty sure it's gone off. We brought 2 bottles of £5 prosecco and it was far better!

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Expecting something to be of $72 when others are getting at much less than half (UDP) or free (TA perk), is a recipe for disappointment.

This is the problem. Combine that with knowing what you paid 24 months ago and its likely now worse but twice the price even on the package then its double disappointing.

I think for me this might be my last cruise for a few years. There is a reason why drinking beer and eating fresh tapas in Spain is popular... especially when its 2 euros a glass and the tapas is free or almost. 

3 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

The "champagne" and "prosecco" is pretty dire too, such a dark yellow and so bitter... pretty sure it's gone off. We brought 2 bottles of £5 prosecco and it was far better!

We once had a problem and they offered a free bottle of ' Champagne' . (when we had a drinks package) 

It was vile. Not sure I could give it away to the local tramp. 

• Like 1

My main issue with the package is the inflexibility of RCI with just wanting to get it for myself, the package right now is quite reasonable for Australians and the cruise im booked on with the Memorial Day sale, when converted to US dollars it works out at about US$65 a day and that include the 18% 

BUT my wife doesn’t drink alcohol and I can t just buy the one package, has to be 2 sure I can call up and get the refreshment package instead at about US$35 a day but even that is wasted as she doesn’t drink soda or juice either and 1 coffee a day does her, she’s a health nut so water and black tea is about it! So cost for us would be US$100 a day with 1 PBP and 1 RP then x 19 nights 😲, so ala carte it is……..As no way I would spend that much and get value, by my own estimation if I could get the one package I would maybe save about US$10 a day plus I have the upfront cost so no need to check the onboard account daily for mistakes etc which have been far too frequent in the past!!! Drinks added we didn’t have, charged different amount etc, I just like the piece of mind it’s all taken care of.   

Edited by Hammer61

At the end of the day nobody is forcing you to purchase a drink package. If you do not agree with the stated price then do not purchase it. What is outrageous to you may be perfectly acceptable to Passengers X, Y, and Z. Buy it or don’t buy it - the power of living in a market economy. RCL is not going to change any policy or prices because you personally find the price outrageous.

Prices will not change until people stop paying the stated price for whatever package is offered. RCL and the other cruise lines have this figured out to a Science. They have done the Calculus on this - derivatives and everything else. They know what price to charge to maximize profits - and if necessary will change it as they see fit.

in the meantime I suggest you forgo the package as you consider the price to be offensive and pay as you go. Nobody is forcing you to drink - or not drink. #TrueFacts

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baelor said:

I never once said or suggested otherwise.  

My point--from the beginning--has been that the bias and presumptions run overwhelmingly against purchasing the drink package, and people frequently resort to claims of alcoholism or people just trying to "get their money's worth" without any clear evidentiary basis for those statements.

This thread is Exhibit A.  Pretty much every other thread about the DBP could be added to the exhibit list.

The reason you see the overwhelming number of people against the drink package is because the overwhelming number don't find it worth it.

As for the posts about "getting your money's worth".  That has been posted by some individuals who have bought the package on most of the threads that have been created about it over the last few years.   You haven't been on the boards very long, (like less than two months) so I highly doubt you have seen these previous threads.

Edited by BND