Trip delay due to positive Covid test?

39august

If we test positive and are debarked from a back to back cruise, wouldn't the insurance cover costs of staying in a hotel until we could get a flight home? I assume we  would have to get a statement from the doctor on board that we cannot travel due to health issues. This is embarking and debarking from a US port. 

54 minutes ago, 39august said:

If we test positive and are debarked from a back to back cruise, wouldn't the insurance cover costs of staying in a hotel until we could get a flight home? I assume we  would have to get a statement from the doctor on board that we cannot travel due to health issues. This is embarking and debarking from a US port. 

This situation would be covered by many policies, although it may be for a limited number of days at a dollars per day limit.  There is a good chance you will need something from a doctor when you submit the claim.  Read the Trip Interruption section of your policy to find out what is covered, and any limitations. 

On 5/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, 39august said:

Hi 39august,

Besides the Trip Interruption coverage, check out the Trip Delay coverage, too. All the plans I know well work like this:

Trip Delay

Trip Delay is reimbursement for meals and accommodations that you might incur if your trip’s departure or your return home is delayed for a covered reason like you test positive for Covid two days before the end of a trip and a doctor puts you into a medically-imposed quarantine.

You’ll be reimbursed up to the daily limit for meals and accommodations (to the policy maximum) if your departure is delayed for more than the number of hours required for a covered reason during your trip.

Steve Dasseos

The OP's question is interesting.  On Celebrity cruises if you are on a B2B sailing and you test positive (or are even a close contact and continue to test negative) you are not allowed to sail on the next leg of the journey.  Of course Celebrity is going to refund the cruise fare and assume airline would provide credit for the home bound flight but would there be any coverage for the certainly higher last minute flight home?

The whole Trip Interruption case has me confused as I would have thought that having my trip interrupted/extended by covid quarantine would be covered by interruption where delay would be something caused by a common carrier delay.

I do know my assumptions were wrong but the interrupted B2B cruise case is also something which I have concerns about as we often do B2B.

You may be thinking of missed connection coverage, but everything depends on the wording of the policy. Credit card insurance does limit trip delay to common carrier, and it is only $500 whereas the trip interruption provision reimburses unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses but not return travel. There may be language about change fees.

That is not to say that credit card insurance works the same as a comprehensive third-party policy. It does not. Most travel policies provide trip delay as described above, and trip interruption reimburses unused nonrefundable travel as well as transportation home. Even that is not a constant so read those provisions in any policy you are considering.

Your confusion is merely based on your assumptions. The policy will spell it out in each section of coverage and in the definitions of terms.

Edited by Babr

10 minutes ago, Ben2travel said:

A related question is if I test positive and am not allowed to embark on my cruise, does the cruise line refund my cruise fare?  (This is just a single cruise, not a B2B.)

Check the current policy (and expiration date) for the cruise line you are considering.  The lines we have traveled since the restart currently would refund your non-refundable payments in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. The credits have expiration dates for book by date or cruise by date or both. Any refundable payments such as port taxes and fees will be refunded in cash.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, Babr said:

That is not to say that credit card insurance works the same as a comprehensive third-party policy. It does not. Most travel policies provide trip delay as described above, and trip interruption reimburses unused nonrefundable travel as well as transportation home.

Does the CC like Chase Sapphire Reserve reimburse the higher last minute flight home if there is a trip interruption?

6 hours ago, westcoastmom said:

Does the CC like Chase Sapphire Reserve reimburse the higher last minute flight home if there is a trip interruption?

No. That is what I meant by saying it does not cover return travel. It reimburses unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses. For instance, if you had to leave the cruise early, it would pay for the days you missed or if you had nonrefundable shoreside expenses such as a resort stay after the cruise. 

There is language about change fees but nothing about excess cost for a new flight.

• Like 1