Laundry Strategy

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

How about you just send it to the laundry and pay for it - problem solved. People are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, but quibble over the price of a few bags of laundry.

You missed the point.

If I was looking for "cheap", I'd just pack a lot of detergent and wash everything in my sink. Cheap!

I was concerned with LOGISTICS.  CONVENIENCE.  DETAILS.

Yes, I am spending thousands of dollars for my cruises...and all the travel surrounding it.  But, I also prefer to get "value" for my money.  I'd rather get the bag deal than pay $6 for a pair of pants, $4 for a T-shirt, and $2 each for underwear and a pair of socks...Plus I'm wearing different clothes for the evenings...A couple of weeks of that for two people and the laundry tab is outrageous.  I'd rather spend that money on another cruise.

And, the logistics involved when traveling for thirty days on two cruise ships and staying three different hotels, one of them both before and after a cruise...and flying on five different flight legs make NO solution a simple "problem solved"...especially when some solutions require sending laundry to a time-consuming ship laundry reasonably in advance of a ship disembarkation on day 10 of that 30 day trip. 

It's not so much money as it is how much to pack and when to, ideally, send laundry somewhere to get done....and have it be done before I'm off to my next destination...

I will run into similar problems in reverse in April--when I fly to Rio de Janeiro, spend three nights there, then board Celebrity Infinity for a 13 night Transatlantic, followed by three nights in Lisbon, a flight to Barcelona, a night there, then a 7-night cruise on Symphony of the Seas, another night in Barcelona and a flight home...and I'll still be 5 points short of Diamond Plus on RCCL even though I am WELL beyond Elite Plus on Celebrity...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 6:12 PM, matj2000 said:

Instead of writing an entire short story

You could just limit it to the above paragraph to get what you need.

Just the facts ma'am..

Not helpful at all!!!!!😤😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We just did 20 days (b2b) on EN and even doing a free bag of laundry each cruise, we still had to pack a lot of clothes, but we live driving distance from the port so we didn't restrict ourselves much.  The only things I send out to the laundry are socks, underwear, and DH's undershirts.  The best suggestions I've seen is to pack as many easily hand washed items that you can so you can do a quick hand wash and dry in your cabin.  Evening clothes are easier as they can be worn 2-3 times each since we only wear them a short amount in the evening and aren't out sweating in them.  I also usually bring 2 swimsuits but could get away with 1 as they dry quickly when hung in the bathroom.  Another suggestion is to not pack a hair dryer and just use what they provide.   

I'm always amazed when people go on a long cruise or to Europe with just a carryon bag.  

4 hours ago, BND said:

I'm always amazed when people go on a long cruise or to Europe with just a carryon bag.  

Me too  😲;  just off a TA myself and a guy I met had a carry-on and a small backpack, that's it!  From Amsterdam he was taking a train to Spain and staying there for a week before he took another 12 night cruise in Europe then flew back home.  He utilized Diamond + laundry bag and did a fair amount of handwashing of his other clothes he said.  Brave dude!

Edited by Surfguyxxx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RD64 said:

How about you just send it to the laundry and pay for it - problem solved. People are paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, but quibble over the price of a few bags of laundry.

My philosophy is every dollar I can save is another dollar I can put toward the price of another cruise.

• Like 4

Laundry in a sink or fold flat camping bucket (which weighs 8 oz. from Amazon) works well for things that won’t stand up to hot and hotter wash and fold ship offer. Hang from magnets after using pool towels to roll out all the excess water works.  We send out underwear, socks, pjs and hand do the rest.  I will send out some of the DH dinner shirts for wash and iron if needed. 

I hate doing laundry on vacation but on trips over 2 weeks it becomes necessary.  Up to that point we can bring enough. 

I have a question that I have not found searching this forum or even a general Google search. If you do the regular per-item laundry (not the stuff-a-bag), do they follow the care instructions? We are doing a B2B (24 days total), our first vacation longer than a week where we don't have access to do our own laundry. A bunch of our travel clothes are machine wash cold, tumble dry low. It's obvious that we can't put those in the stuff-a-bag, but also not that interested in doing a bunch of hand washing if we can help it. Also, do they just automatically iron everything? Can you request that something not be ironed?

So ... 

2 nights at the first hotel 

8 night cruise 

3 nights at second hotel 

12 night second cruise 

1 night on land 

Easy ... 

Pack 6 days worth of day clothes and 4 evening outfits.  Limit yourself to three pair of shoes, and this will fit in a small-to-medium suitcase (without even counting the carry-on). 

On the second night at the first hotel, wash the few clothes that are dirty, allowing you to board the ship with all your outfits clean. 

During the cruise, wash your thin things in the sink ... and send out the bag midway through with heavy things that're not practical to wash. 

You'll arrive at the second hotel with half your clothes dirty.  On your last night at the hotel, wash them all at the hotel (or somewhere in town).  

Board the longer cruise with everything clean.  

Halfway through the cruise, send out the laundry bag again. This'll see you through the second cruise. 

You'll arrive for your last hotel night with pretty much nothing clean, but you're headed home anyway.  

This wouldn't give you a lot of choices, but it's quite possible and wouldn't weigh you down badly as you move from leg-to-leg of the vacation.

Check out the 5-4-3-2-1 packing method on Pinterest.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I took  extra large zip lock bags and a small bottle of liquid washing detergent on our recent transatlantic. I washed everything from sweatshirts , bras ladies blouse and nylon shorts in them.  It did take two days for the sweat shirt to dry but hanging it on the balcony chair with towel chips expedited  We then put our undies, my gowns, tee shirts and his polo shirts in the laundry bag.  every thing came back fine. 

<<I took extra large zip lock bags and a small bottle of liquid washing detergent. . .>>

When I was taught to use an extra large zip lock bag as a washing machine, I was also taught to use the shampoo from the bathroom. It should not be necessary to bringing washing detergent with you.

• Like 1

I made an interesting discovery while visiting a laundromat in Barcelona between cruises.  I put my clothes in the washers about 1:45 and stepped just outside into the courtyard.  When I returned about 20 minutes later, the doors were locked and the sign said they'd reopen at 5:00!  I didn't realize how seriously the Spanish take siesta....

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:46 PM, RD64 said:

This!!

On 5/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, Bruin Steve said:

You missed the point.

If I was looking for "cheap", I'd just pack a lot of detergent and wash everything in my sink. Cheap!

I was concerned with LOGISTICS.  CONVENIENCE.  DETAILS.

Yes, I am spending thousands of dollars for my cruises...and all the travel surrounding it.  But, I also prefer to get "value" for my money.  I'd rather get the bag deal than pay $6 for a pair of pants, $4 for a T-shirt, and $2 each for underwear and a pair of socks...Plus I'm wearing different clothes for the evenings...A couple of weeks of that for two people and the laundry tab is outrageous.  I'd rather spend that money on another cruise.

And, the logistics involved when traveling for thirty days on two cruise ships and staying three different hotels, one of them both before and after a cruise...and flying on five different flight legs make NO solution a simple "problem solved"...especially when some solutions require sending laundry to a time-consuming ship laundry reasonably in advance of a ship disembarkation on day 10 of that 30 day trip. 

It's not so much money as it is how much to pack and when to, ideally, send laundry somewhere to get done....and have it be done before I'm off to my next destination...

I will run into similar problems in reverse in April--when I fly to Rio de Janeiro, spend three nights there, then board Celebrity Infinity for a 13 night Transatlantic, followed by three nights in Lisbon, a flight to Barcelona, a night there, then a 7-night cruise on Symphony of the Seas, another night in Barcelona and a flight home...and I'll still be 5 points short of Diamond Plus on RCCL even though I am WELL beyond Elite Plus on Celebrity...

Yes, so much easier to schlep bags of laundry down the streets of Barcelona 

On 5/31/2022 at 11:36 AM, Surfguyxxx said:

Me too  😲;  just off a TA myself and a guy I met had a carry-on and a small backpack, that's it!  From Amsterdam he was taking a train to Spain and staying there for a week before he took another 12 night cruise in Europe then flew back home.  He utilized Diamond + laundry bag and did a fair amount of handwashing of his other clothes he said.  Brave dude!

Smart dude too…

On 6/5/2022 at 10:49 PM, Stuart Suss said:

<<I took extra large zip lock bags and a small bottle of liquid washing detergent. . .>>

When I was taught to use an extra large zip lock bag as a washing machine, I was also taught to use the shampoo from the bathroom. It should not be necessary to bringing washing detergent with you.

Please share the extra large zip bag trick. How large are we talking? The gallon size? I’ll be going to Sicily for a week followed by a transatlantic in the fall. Had planned on finding a laundry in Sicily but if I could hand wash a few things to hold us over until sending larger items out while on the cruise it would be very helpful. Thank you

1 hour ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I would think the Jumbo size; gallon size might be too small.  I just use the sink myself.  

Correct.  I'm thinking 2-gallo. For delicates I suggest a zippered mesh bag that keeps them from getting tumbled too much. A zippered mesh bag is great for delicates, and can be used to hand wash in the sink, too.

On 6/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, RobInMN said:

I have a question that I have not found searching this forum or even a general Google search. If you do the regular per-item laundry (not the stuff-a-bag), do they follow the care instructions? We are doing a B2B (24 days total), our first vacation longer than a week where we don't have access to do our own laundry. A bunch of our travel clothes are machine wash cold, tumble dry low. It's obvious that we can't put those in the stuff-a-bag, but also not that interested in doing a bunch of hand washing if we can help it. Also, do they just automatically iron everything? Can you request that something not be ironed?

Disappointed that there's been no responses to my questions.😞

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

No, they don't look at labels.

Didn't think so, but will they honor it if you put things like "wash cold", "dry low", "no iron" on the sheet?  Obviously we can't take 24-30 days of clothes, so laundry is a must. I don't mind paying for them to launder stuff, as we're not looking to do a bunch of hand washing in our room. Just want to minimize stuff getting totally ruined.

Laundromats in Barcelona between cruises

From an internet search, there are some pretty nice self-service laundromats in Barcelona. One company I found is called Splash.  And there were plenty of others. A Google search brought up lots on a map of Barcelona, with reviews (with pricing) and photos (yep, that pretty much describes using the internet; mea culpa.)

From reviews:

Splash offers three sizes (and prices) if washing machines that run for 30 minutes; price 5-10 euros. Dryer runs for 15 minutes for 2 euros. And efficient in that time. (Hot? Adjustable?) Need to bring cash (perhaps 20 euro card can be purchased with card? But less hassle if prepared with money).  Washer has soap and softener included - and maybe only choice?

Open 8 am - 10 pm.  

You probably could drink some coffee or have a quick breakfast during the hour you need for doing all your laundry.

56 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Didn't think so, but will they honor it if you put things like "wash cold", "dry low", "no iron" on the sheet?  Obviously we can't take 24-30 days of clothes, so laundry is a must. I don't mind paying for them to launder stuff, as we're not looking to do a bunch of hand washing in our room. Just want to minimize stuff getting totally ruined.

I don't think so.  They are accustomed to reading the pre-printed info on the sheet, and labeling each garment with your room number.  Special instructions are iffy.

I would suggest you use the dry cleaning services instead for these type of garments.

• Like 1