Anthem of the Seas 22-29 May, our roundup

Thank you for your review! Going on a similar itinerary in Sep. Did you have to get covid tests every time you entered a different country? We are going to Spain, Portugal, Canaries. Also do you have to make reservations for We Will Rock You? Is it only shown one night? 

14 minutes ago, Pugdog007 said:

Thank you for your review! Going on a similar itinerary in Sep. Did you have to get covid tests every time you entered a different country? We are going to Spain, Portugal, Canaries. Also do you have to make reservations for We Will Rock You? Is it only shown one night? 

You don’t currently have to get covid tests to enter those countries. Just the 1 before you get on board…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DJTowls said:

You don’t currently have to get covid tests to enter those countries. Just the 1 before you get on board…

Wow that's awesome! So don't need one to enter England either, correct? So just one before leaving Southampton and another for coming back to US. Hoping US will drop this before Sep. Should I try and get tested in London instead of Southampton, since we are spending a few days there prior?

39 minutes ago, Pugdog007 said:

Wow that's awesome! So don't need one to enter England either, correct? So just one before leaving Southampton and another for coming back to US. Hoping US will drop this before Sep. Should I try and get tested in London instead of Southampton, since we are spending a few days there prior?

That’s right - you don’t need to get a test to enter the UK currently. I’m also hoping the US drops testing before September as we’re flying to Colorado, Utah and Wyoming then! I would imagine there will be many more testing options in London (to cater for lots of people travelling worldwide) rather than Southampton, so probably worth getting your tests there pre-cruise.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:18 PM, zap99 said:

We were on a couple of Indy cruises where Rock the boat were in ( I think ) the pyramid lounge. Superb band .Sadly I can't see if they are back on Anthem. Anybody know what, if anything they are doing!🤔

Unfortunately, I believe Rock The Boat are no more.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 7:30 AM, Fabulous97 said:

I don't think the Americans understood what he was talking about as we had some very confused ones behind us.

Great review. Thank you!

But I had to laugh at the above comment. I have to admit I had to look up "cossies" 🤣 🤣

Thanks for all the information about Anthem. We are making our return to Royal Oct. 2023 for the transatlantic from Southampton on her. The last Royal cruise was Navigator in 2008 from Barcelona to Florida. Mostly a HAL cruiser. We saw the real Frankie Valli in Seattle at an outdoor setting a few years ago. Love his music. 

Jim

On 5/31/2022 at 9:33 AM, nelblu said:

On our Easter week, they did not show "we will rock you" the excuse was due to the ship's movement,...

The We Will Rock You show had its premiere on the May 2 sailing. Actually, the first show was technically their dress rehearsal because of the sound system crashing on the previous day. It was a great show and they didn't need to stop like they suggested might happen.

18 hours ago, Pugdog007 said:

Hello,

According to the Cruise Compass, everyone had to have their temperature checked prior to arrival in Spain and on the days in Spanish ports. But it was completely haphazard - my cabin steward zapped me in the corridor a couple of times when he saw me.

MSC on the other hand had someone permanently stood at the entrance to the MDR and zapped people as they entered.

Regards,

Cublet

53 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

According to the Cruise Compass, everyone had to have their temperature checked prior to arrival in Spain and on the days in Spanish ports. But it was completely haphazard - my cabin steward zapped me in the corridor a couple of times when he saw me.

MSC on the other hand had someone permanently stood at the entrance to the MDR and zapped people as they entered.

Regards,

Cublet

MSC seem to have gone to the haphazard way now too. We were on Virtuosa a couple of weeks ago and were never checked once, others reported random checks.

On 5/30/2022 at 12:41 PM, Fabulous97 said:

Just back off Anthem of the Seas 22-29 May from Southampton to La Rochelle, Bilbao, La Corona and Le Harve and back to Southampton. I can’t answer and questions regarding ports as we didn’t get off the ship, It’s been a very busy work time and we needed a break!

Here are some of our observations.

We used the app to check in etc had our tests done two days before and arrived at Southampton at 10.40, we are lucky it’s about an hours drive for us. We had a boarding time at 12 but our plan was to sit outside and get on the ships Wi-Fi to book our dining. We were told no problem please come on in, check in staff were happy and welcoming. Checked our passports and covid test paperwork and waved on board. So from parking the car to being onboard took less than 20 minutes, no queues at all.

We got a drink (they scan the seapass on your phone until you get your card), went for a wander and some lunch. Watched the safety video on the phone and checked into our muster station. Cabins were ready at one o’clock and our bags were already there. So unpacked got our cossies on and off to a peaceful solarium.

Plenty of bar staff all week and no problem getting service.

We had the UBP and had got it on sale at £39 each per day (approx $48), we made good use of it both with alcohol, fresh juice and coffees.

Spirits were a bit haphazard for example you could get Gentlemens Jack and Buffalo Trace in the solarium bar but only No7 (yeuk) in the Schooner bar.

Windjammer bit uninspiring and often running out of items.

Very little waiting for lifts.

MDR ok, they did have lobster tail on one night and I got given two even though I didn’t ask for two.

Speciality we attended:

Wonderland – excellent and had lots of starters (my favourite bit of dinner)
Chops x 2 – I don’t eat meat however my dining companions said the steak (bone in rib eye) was absolutely excellent
Chefs Table – they were only doing a 17.30 sitting, there were only 11 of us and we finished gone 21.00. We had fun and met some interesting people.

Entertainment

We Will Rock You – must see
Spectra – must see
Frankie Valley – excellent really lively
The Gift – bit odd, who makes a story about a dead wife and mother!
Lots of other music around the ship

Sun Loungers

They were enforcing the 30 minute rule and removing peoples belongings and towels on a number of days especially in the Solarium.

Formal nights

Everything from shorts to black tie, lots of Scotsmen in kilts. Ladies in sparkly numbers, some families had all dressed up to get family photos. There were some very smart little boys in dress shorts, shirt, bowtie and jackets!

We had an inside virtual balcony cabin, roomy and comfortable. We only use our cabin to sleep, shower and get dressed in.

The guests were mostly British, lots of Scots and Northerners who had travelled miles to get to Southampton. Some other Europeans and quite a few Americans. The ship was not 100% full.

We put our bags out the evening before with their tags on, duty free delivered earlier and put in our luggage. Out of the cabin at 7.45 bit of breakfast in the WJ which was open until 8.30. Off the ship nice and easy seapass blipped out. Picked up our bags walked across the carpark and loaded the car. No passport checks, no customs. From leaving the WJ to driving out of the carpark just over 10 minutes! Home by 9:30, bags unpacked and washing on!

Hope this is of some use. Some people were wearing masks, 90% were not, it did not feel covid unsafe. Lots of hand washing and sanitiser plus people seemed to respect personal space. All staff had KN95 masks on.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.

We are RC and NCL cruisers and like the big ships.

Thanks for the review - really useful. We are sailing on the Anthem in August.

Do you happen to know if there were any English beers in any of the bars? On previous RC sailings my husband has always managed to get cans of Boddingtons or bottles of London Pride.

Thanks

On 6/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, MrsHFQ said:

Thanks for the review - really useful. We are sailing on the Anthem in August.

Do you happen to know if there were any English beers in any of the bars? On previous RC sailings my husband has always managed to get cans of Boddingtons or bottles of London Pride.

Thanks

Hello,

I can only speak to the presence of John Smith's as that is what a friend drank.

I can't believe I saying this, but if you use the app it does say what drinks are (supposed to be) available in each bar.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eastender said:

Never been out of Southampton before and hear stories of rough seas in the Bay of Biscay. How was is for you?

Hello,

Sadly it was very calm - I like a bit of rough (weather).

Regards,

Cublet

2 hours ago, eastender said:

Never been out of Southampton before and hear stories of rough seas in the Bay of Biscay. How was is for you?

We've sailed out of Southampton  many times.   With a few exceptions  we find the Bay of Biscay to be rough/windy/cool.  We plan ahead for  inboard things to do on those days.

5 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We've sailed out of Southampton  many times.   With a few exceptions  we find the Bay of Biscay to be rough/windy/cool.  We plan ahead for  inboard things to do on those days.

Hello,

You can tell is it's forecast to be rough - sick-bags are put out on all the stair landings.

Regards,

Cublet