Norwegian Fjords

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry we are going on the Norwegian  Fjords cruise from Amsterdam  stopping at Olden,Flam,Geiranger,Ålesund and Kristinsand. 

Coming from Scotland we are usually chasing the sun but wanted to see the Fjords.I thought maybe it would be pleasant during the day and colder at night like here.

13 hours ago, orla56 said:

Sorry we are going on the Norwegian  Fjords cruise from Amsterdam  stopping at Olden,Flam,Geiranger,Ålesund and Kristinsand. 

Coming from Scotland we are usually chasing the sun but wanted to see the Fjords.I thought maybe it would be pleasant during the day and colder at night like here.

We went on a Norway cruise in summer 2016. The weather was very similar to a Scottish summer. One day we had lovely sunshine and temperatures in low 20s, the next day the mist was down and there was heavy showers. Pack for all eventualities as you never know what you’re getting. You might get lucky and get a week of sun but I would not expect that. I would expect the changeable weather we’ve had in Scotland the last week or so, after all the west coast of Norway is plagued by the same Atlantic weather systems as we are. Bottom line, don’t let the weather spoil your holiday, Norway is beautiful.

Thank you for your reply Scottish clover. You confirmed what I was thinking.

When I booked it I thought it might have been a country that had proper warm summers and bad winters then as you said I realised this might not be the case as when I watched the tv weather I could see Norway at the top of the map and it was probably not going to be the case🙈😁

But hopefully we'll get some sun like the Indian summers we can get here at the beginning of September. 

Fingers crossed I am looking forward to it though.👍

Thank you for your reply Scottish clover. You confirmed what I was thinking.

When I booked it I thought it might have been a country that had proper warm summers and bad winters then as you said I realised this might not be the case as when I watched the tv weather I could see Norway at the top of the map and it was probably not going to be the case🙈😁

But hopefully we'll get some sun like the Indian summers we can get here at the beginning of September. 

Fingers crossed I am looking forward to it though.👍

I have another question what are your top 3 things to do out of these places.

My husband has Parkinsons so we can't go for long walks and he won't go on too long a journey that will last all day.

He was well when we booked so will have to adjust what he is able to do.

36 minutes ago, orla56 said:

what are your top 3 things to do out of these places

Not sure if there is a top three - here you have my recommendation for Olden, Flåm, and Geiranger.

in Olden take the shuttle bus from the pier to Loen Skylift viewpoint - in Flåm take the scenic train from the pier (must book in advance) and in Geiranger the HoHo bus from the pier to the viewpoints - will require very limited walking.

We are going on a Norwegian fjords cruise in July, and I am curious about weather on the North Sea, crossing from Southampton so we will have two sea days. Any guesses whether we will be able to relax on deck in swimsuits, or is the weather more shirts and shorts/pants?