REVISED: Did you test positive for covid while on the ship or shortly after arriving home

cruzin4us

REVISED due to suggestions: Have you gotten covid on the ship or shortly after returning home since the cruise restart up?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. REVISED: Although this is definitely not a scientific poll, it's still informative for those trying to make a decision on cruising or how they want to handle their own situation. Did you test positive on the ship or shortly after arriving home?? Voters names are private

• Yes - I wore my mask all the time - except when eating or drinking
    • Yes - I wore my mask all the time - I even ate and drank in my room
    • YES - I only wore a mask where it was crowded (theaters/game shows)
    • YES - I only wore my mask if required
    • YES - I never wore a mask
    • NO - I wore my mask everywhere and ate/drank in my room
    • NO - I wore my mask except when eating/drinking
    • NO - But I wore it most of the time, especially in a crowd (theater, game show)
    • NO - I only wore a mask inside
    • NO - I never wore a mask
    • MAYBE/DUNNO - I might have had it but didn't want to test for fear of quarantine

2 hours ago, Loveh2ofl said:

Interesting discussions all - but would we be having this discussion at all if we viewed Omicron and follow-on variants  like the flu or a cold or Norovirus?  We know what it is because common tests are available for us to self-test or be tested.  Those who are asymptomatic would not be concerned or testing themselves if tests were unavailable.

Just asking.  I have self-tested and gotten tested so I'm in the same boat (sic) with everyone else.  But in some ways this is like a full-body PET scan where something is always flagged whether or not it is benign or the individual is not really contagious.

DH and I have been having this very same conversation.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, John99 said:

Many indicated they wore a mask.  What kind of mask?  Is it better to wear a N95 mask versus a cloth mask?  I would like to know how many worn a N95 mask and think they are more effective. 

Well we only wore cloth masks then.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

But is this still true of those fully vaccinated, especially those boosted?  Case numbers are really going up fast in my state (even with people using more home tests that don't get reported) but hospitalization are not at all.  Just compare CDC's transmission level map with their community level map for the US and you will be surprised at how many counties have very high levels of transmission but are still green on community level maps because higher cases aren't having an effect on the health care system (it's a red map compared to a green map).

And is it still true for Omicron and the newer versions, if they are fully vaxed and bolstered?

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

But is this still true of those fully vaccinated, especially those boosted?  Case numbers are really going up fast in my state (even with people using more home tests that don't get reported) but hospitalization are not at all.  Just compare CDC's transmission level map with their community level map for the US and you will be surprised at how many counties have very high levels of transmission but are still green on community level maps because higher cases aren't having an effect on the health care system (it's a red map compared to a green map).

You don't have to be hospitalized to have debilitating symptoms or end up with long covid.   Or, to put it another way: Hospitalizations are a macro-level concern; my personal health is a micro-level concern.   It's no solace to a long-covider that the local intensive care unit is empty. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prmssk said:

Yes, it is still true of those fully vaccinated and those boosted.  Unvaxed and vaxed both are getting Covid although hospitals are not having a lot of Covid patients like previous variants.

12 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Yes, it is still true of those fully vaccinated and those boosted.  Unvaxed and vaxed both are getting Covid although hospitals are not having a lot of Covid patients like previous variants.

A quick search found the following sample 2 articles.  Yes, Vaxed and Boosted are having breakthrough infections.  But the unvaccinated are "driving" the pandemic with more serious cases, hospitalizations, and death.  

Personally, I do not see the end in sight.  Every time it is reported that there is a decline, it is followed by a spike.  I am not a infectious disease expert, but I do follow the trends.  Omicron/Delta/Corona (all the same in my book) is a fast changing virus.  I will continue to do what is necessary for myself to protect me and my family/friends.    You have to do what you feel is right for you.  I do not wish this upon anyone, even a mild case.  

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20211124/unvaccinated-14-times-more-likely-to-die-from-covid

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm

• Thanks 2