REVISED: Did you test positive for covid while on the ship or shortly after arriving home

cruzin4us

REVISED due to suggestions: Have you gotten covid on the ship or shortly after returning home since the cruise restart up?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. REVISED: Although this is definitely not a scientific poll, it's still informative for those trying to make a decision on cruising or how they want to handle their own situation. Did you test positive on the ship or shortly after arriving home?? Voters names are private

• Yes - I wore my mask all the time - except when eating or drinking
    • Yes - I wore my mask all the time - I even ate and drank in my room
    • YES - I only wore a mask where it was crowded (theaters/game shows)
    • YES - I only wore my mask if required
    • YES - I never wore a mask
    • NO - I wore my mask everywhere and ate/drank in my room
    • NO - I wore my mask except when eating/drinking
    • NO - But I wore it most of the time, especially in a crowd (theater, game show)
    • NO - I only wore a mask inside
    • NO - I never wore a mask
    • MAYBE/DUNNO - I might have had it but didn't want to test for fear of quarantine

15 hours ago, CruisingJs said:

I tested positive during our sixth cruise post Covid.  I always wore a mask except when eating or drinking.  Hubby tested positive after we got home.  We did not have to fly to port so I definitely caught it during the cruise.

This sounds like me..  I tested + on the 12th day of 14 day cruise  (hubs tested + on day 15). I always wore a mask and rarely used elevator.  We drove to/from port.  Our trip was advertised as 14 day...  but when we got to Whittier I realized it was not a closed circuit.  700 got off and almost 800 got on.  I began to see more aggressive cleaning on day 9 so thought something was up...  (May 14-28  Royal Alaska)

DH and I have sailed 62 days since September. Both of us are fully vaccinated with two boosters. We wore masks every time we left our cabin and only removed them for meals. We had private tables for all meals even if we were in buffet.

I never contracted Covid but DH had it within 3 days of our last cruise in early May, even though we did the same things. Go figure.

We have sailed 65 days, 6 cruises, since November.  I tested positive in February on a b2b test (15 day Panama Canal, on the Emerald) and was asymptomatic.  I was tested via Antigen and PCR tests.  DW never tested positive and was also asymptomatic.

We are vaccinated and boostered.  We always wore our masks while indoors the ship.  

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

We always wore masks except when eating. Bar drinks only drank in areas where there were few people or took back to our cabin.Went on four cruises since cruising began. Two days after returning from the March 27 and  April 3rd cruises on Discovery my husband got very sick. Had all the symptoms of Covid. Took the home test and was negative and so was I. Repeated the next day, still negative but he was very ill. Went and  did PCR test , and he was still negative. Not Covid. medical center refused to see him in person even when I said he didn't have Covid. Went to Urgent care, treated like a  pariah . Dr. checked him outside in a tent. Gave him two antibiotics, no diagnosis. He was so sick for three weeks. Slept most of the time, was still weak for another  three weeks after. Our family Dr. said it was most probably Pneumonia. So still can catch something besides Covid and one can be even sicker.We were so careful on that cruise. had been on the ship for two weeks and did go on one  Princess tour in Mexico but wore our masks except when eating.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

We always wore masks except when eating. Bar drinks only drank in areas where there were few people or took back to our cabin.Went on four cruises since cruising began. Two days after returning from the March 27 and  April 3rd cruises on Discovery my husband got very sick. Had all the symptoms of Covid. Took the home test and was negative and so was I. Repeated the next day, still negative but he was very ill. Went and  did PCR test , and he was still negative. Not Covid. medical center refused to see him in person even when I said he didn't have Covid. Went to Urgent care, treated like a  pariah . Dr. checked him outside in a tent. Gave him two antibiotics, no diagnosis. He was so sick for three weeks. Slept most of the time, was still weak for another  three weeks after. Our family Dr. said it was most probably Pneumonia. So still can catch something besides Covid and one can be even sicker.We were so careful on that cruise. had been on the ship for two weeks and did go on one  Princess tour in Mexico but wore our masks except when eating.

Of course there are more illnesses out there beside covid...but I can understand your thinking that it was and being cautious!
I think some of us forget that we have experienced a massive amount of folks with coughs.  DH got the Norovirus several years back that we think he got in the Market in Tahiti.  Lots of scary stuff out there!

• Like 2

Four cruises since the restart. 2x 7 day, 1x 10 day, and 1x 14 day.  Tested once for sore throat and cough in the middle of the 14 day(negative).  Only masked where required.  No boosters, No positives during or after the cruises.

Edited by station10fd
  • Like 1

Agree with the comments about lots of other illnesses still out there - I'm always concerned about norovirus and have had a bad cold since covid arose.  One should also consider that if  you take any excursions or get off the ship you're also exposed, as well as your travel to/fro.  sin 4/2021 we have also been at several large conferences with thousands of people of unknown vaccination or covid testing status - so I actually have felt safer on the ships than anywhere

• Like 1

My husband brought covid home as a souvenir after our September cruise on the Mardi Gras. We were very religious about masking indoors, and even outdoors *if it was crowded*.  I did not get it. Not even from my husband! I didn't make him isolate after we were home because I figured he hadn't been anywhere I hadn't also been, and I never tested positive. Five tests over two weeks (my job required a 2 week monitoring period before I could come back to the office) were all negative. 🤷‍♀️

ETA: We were both fully vaxed, and I got boosted a few days after we got back. He got boosted in December.

Edited by bassmk
  • Like 1

First and only  cruise so far post- Covid last April, it was a 7 day, no flying, drove to port.

Only wore masks in terminal and when required to get on & off in ports. Never wore them on the ship.

Both vaxed and boosted. Neither one of us got sick. 

• Like 2

we’ve been on 6 cruises since fall of 2021.   Wore masks where mandated, but not when alone in hallways, climbing stairs etc.   once they became a recommendation we only wore during embarkation and disembarkation.  I am vaccinated and not boosted, hubby has both boosters as well as vaccinated.   Went ashore and took excursions, etc.   never got Covid from cruising.   Going on 3 more this year.  

• Like 1

I tested positive the day after returning from our 15 day Hawaii cruise in April. I was masked indoors and never took the elevator. Used hand sanitizer or washed my hands. I’m double vaxxed, boosted and have no underlying medical conditions. I had horrible Covid symptoms but fortunately didn’t have to be hospitalized. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiserjanet said:

I tested positive the day after returning from our 15 day Hawaii cruise in April. I was masked indoors and never took the elevator. Used hand sanitizer or washed my hands. I’m double vaxxed, boosted and have no underlying medical conditions. I had horrible Covid symptoms but fortunately didn’t have to be hospitalized. 

I'm sorry you had a bad case.   Hopefully being vaccinated prevented it from being worse.   Hope you are fully recovered!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiserjanet said:

Hope you are feeling better now!

Thanks for this. Just rounding numbers, but it looks like about 40% have tested positive. That’s a lot to me. I have a cruise booked for this fall and can’t decide if I should go. I probably would have cruised already if I could drive to a port, but I worry about all the time spent in airports, planes, shuttles, taxis, etc.  I hope more people answer your poll. It’s very illuminating. For me, 40% is a lot. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

Thanks for this. Just rounding numbers, but it looks like about 40% have tested positive. That’s a lot to me. I have a cruise booked for this fall and can’t decide if I should go. I probably would have cruised already if I could drive to a port, but I worry about all the time spent in airports, planes, shuttles, taxis, etc.  I hope more people answer your poll. It’s very illuminating. For me, 40% is a lot. Thanks. 

My biggest "thing" when I pick an itinerary is where are they starting and where are they ending?    No way am I picking a cruise that ends in Vancouver, or anywhere else over seas.   Not when the quarantine period is 10 day to get back to the states.    I can deal with covid if I disembark in San Diego or San Francisco, I'd get home on my own.  If I get quarantined on a cruise ship, at least I'm on the water.....but I don't want to be held up in a hotel in another country.

• Like 1

Negative for all 4 of us on a 28-day B2B cruise, March 12 to April 9 (TA, Spain, Mediterranean & Turkey) on Regal Princess and negative afterwards. We wore our N95 masks all the time except when eating or drinking. It was a wonderful cruise! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

As stated, it is far from a scientific study, however when the highest percentage of respondents wore masks regularly and still test tested positive, it makes you wonder about mask efficacy. It could also be that those that wear masks more are more concerned, therefore more likely to test themselves. Interesting anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

As stated, it is far from a scientific study, however when the highest percentage of respondents wore masks regularly and still test tested positive, it makes you wonder about mask efficacy. It could also be that those that wear masks more are more concerned, therefore more likely to test themselves. Interesting anyway.

The more people that take the poll, the better of an idea we will have.   And yes, it's definitely not a scientific study, but it's helpful.   

• Like 1

It would be interesting if those that say they didn't get covid, would respond with whether or not they ever tested themselves.

• Like 1

The other thing not asked....which has become much more important with Omicron.

What KIND of mask? If, when people indicate they were wearing a mask, it is NOT N95 or KF94, they might as well have said they were not wearing a mask.....

No judgement, just saying.....

• Like 2

Four cruises since January 2022, wore N95s whenever outside our cabin except when dining. Never take elevators (Covid carriages, DH calls them). 
Masks when flying, airports, etc. -flying to/from Canada others required to be masked/vaxxed in flight too.

Havent caught Covid yet.

What is also often not considered is that we all have varying levels of immunity based in many factors. Our PHO here has said the vaccines effectiveness wanes faster in elderly people. Also some immune suppressing medications can affect people’s vaccine protection.