Cruising out of La. Stressful?

Cajuntraveler

We are considering an early 2023 cruise out of Los Angeles on X.  It's been many years since we visited La. and have unpleasant memories of LAX and the traffic.  We would fly in the day before the cruise and are not interested in sight seeing prior to the cruise.  How stressful is it to get transportation to and from the cruise port?  Are shuttles and/or taxi's readily available at the port for transport back to the airport?  How long does it usually take to get from the port to LAX on a Saturday.  Is it better to stay overnight near the airport and uber to the ship the next morning?  is Uber reliable in LA?  How expensive is it to get back and forth from the airport? Cruising out of San Diego was easy - La. looks like it will be a challenge.

There are several shuttle services as well as Celebrity will do a transfer.  On Saturday an hour or less unless there is an accident.  If you are truly traffic adverse fly into Long Beach.  Only a few miles from San Pedro harbor instead of 17 miles from LAX.

Lots of hotels in Long Beach and near the cruiseport.   

No worries really.

To answer 39August, San Pedro Harbor is where all cruises depart.   San Pedro is part of the city of Los Angeles.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
7 minutes ago, 39august said:

Is this cruise actually sailing out of LA or out of San Pedro?

Actually San Pedro is LA cruise port, the other cruise port is Long Beach.  Celebrity normally uses the LA cruise terminal in San Pedro.

Flying in the day before is a smart decision.  Whether you fly into LAX or LGB take a taxi, Uber, or shuttle down to a hotel near the pier where there are plenty to choose from.  Your next day to board the ship should be pretty easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cruised out LA for the first time a few months ago and had no issues. We used Uber/Lyft for transportation to and from the port. We arrived a day early and stayed at a hotel within walking distance of the port, though they offered a shuttle to the port. I would have no issue with sailing out of LA again.

• Thanks 1

We use  a limo service to /from  LAX to San Pedro hotel/ port..

Worked well..very nice AC limo..professional driver.had same driver  both ways!

Have also used  into Long Beach ( ?) .smaller airport,, taxi was nit that great,

12 hours ago, hcat said:

We use  a limo service to /from  LAX to San Pedro hotel/ port..

Worked well..very nice AC limo..professional driver.had same driver  both ways!

Have also used  into Long Beach ( ?) .smaller airport,, taxi was nit that great,

Was the limo service able to pick you up right outside the airport or did you have to get a shuttle to another area to get transportation?  Have mobility problems so going to another area will be a problem.

1 hour ago, Happy2cruise said:

Was the limo service able to pick you up right outside the airport or did you have to get a shuttle to another area to get transportation?  Have mobility problems so going to another area will be a problem.

I believe she met us inside the terminal after we had our luggage.. it has been awile so   memory fades....I doubt I can find the name of the company..but if I do I will post it. LAX is a huge  airport...but we managed,

17 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

We are considering an early 2023 cruise out of Los Angeles on X.  It's been many years since we visited La. and have unpleasant memories of LAX and the traffic.  We would fly in the day before the cruise and are not interested in sight seeing prior to the cruise.  How stressful is it to get transportation to and from the cruise port?  Are shuttles and/or taxi's readily available at the port for transport back to the airport?  How long does it usually take to get from the port to LAX on a Saturday.  Is it better to stay overnight near the airport and uber to the ship the next morning?  is Uber reliable in LA?  How expensive is it to get back and forth from the airport? Cruising out of San Diego was easy - La. looks like it will be a challenge.

Cruising out of ANY port can be stressful...or not.  Depends on you.  Wherever you go, there are usually logistics to deal with.

Specifically...here are some notes on Los Angeles:

First, with Celebrity, you will be cruising out of the World Cruise Center in San Pedro.  The port is 20 miles from LAX, 16 miles from LGB (Long Beach Airport), 33 miles from SNA (Orange County) and 36 miles from BUR (Burbank).  Those last three are smaller airports and many find them easier to deal with...but you give up something in flight availability and, often, price.  A lot of people find LAX intimidating, but, really, the issues are the same now with any airport.  Flying in, you walk to baggage claim, get your luggage and pick up ground transportation.  Flying out, you deal with check-in and security.

Getting from LAX to San Pedro, you have options.  To use Uber, Lyft or a taxi now, you need to go to a central meeting point at what is called the LAX-it lot.  It is actually right in the main terminal area, right next to Terminal 1.  So, if you fly into Terminal 1 (Southwest, Allegiant), you can easily walk across the small road to the LAX-it lot.  Not much more from Terminal 2 (Delta).  Other terminals, best to use the LAX-it shuttle.  The shuttles circle the airport every 5 minutes or less and the ride is short.  The biggest issue for some is dragging luggage on and off the bus.  If that is not a problem for you, it's fairly easy.  Once at LAX-it, you can queue up for taxis...or contact Uber or Lyft.

The wait for an Uber is usually very short.  Ubers seem to hover around LAX--they are always dropping off someone else.  If there is an issue it's that, at times, if it's rush hour or a high demand time, you may face higher "surge" pricing...but, normally, it's less than $50 to San Pedro for Uber X.  Returning to LAX is no big issue--Uber or Lyft can drop off right at the curb next to check-in.

If you don't want to deal with the LAX-it lot, Uber black or a limo or car service can pick up right at the curb or even inside baggage claim-of course, it could double your cost or more.

The ride to San Pedro, depending on day of week and time, is typically, at worst, an hour...but at low traffic times, about a half an hour is possible.

I would stay in San Pedro under most circumstances for the least stress.  Either the Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza--the two nicest hotels in San Pedro.  Doubletree is in a quiet and scenic location on the small craft marina...but a little far from most restaurants and the pier--but the hotel will shuttle you, for free, to local restaurants and to the pier.  The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro.  Several good restaurants are within 2 blocks of the hotel (I prefer the Green Onion-Mexican- and the San Pedro Brewing Co.--eclectic--both within a half a block of the CP).  The pier is about three blocks away, but, if you prefer not to walk with luggage, the hotel will shuttle you there for a mere $5 pp.

The benefits of staying in San Pedro include that on embarkation morning, you can relax, take your time and get to the ship with very little stress...

• Thanks 1

Thank you, so much, for responding to my post!  You, and others who responded, have made my planning much less stressful.

47 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Cruising out of ANY port can be stressful...or not.  Depends on you.  Wherever you go, there are usually logistics to deal with.

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

<snip>

I would stay in San Pedro under most circumstances for the least stress.  Either the Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza--the two nicest hotels in San Pedro.  Doubletree is in a quiet and scenic location on the small craft marina...but a little far from most restaurants and the pier--but the hotel will shuttle you, for free, to local restaurants and to the pier.  The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro.  Several good restaurants are within 2 blocks of the hotel (I prefer the Green Onion-Mexican- and the San Pedro Brewing Co.--eclectic--both within a half a block of the CP).  The pier is about three blocks away, but, if you prefer not to walk with luggage, the hotel will shuttle you there for a mere $5 pp.

The benefits of staying in San Pedro include that on embarkation morning, you can relax, take your time and get to the ship with very little stress...

We stayed at the Doubletree in 2019 because of the free shuttle. In retrospect, wish we had chosen a hotel closer to restaurants/drug stores. The marina area was beautiful, but remote. YMMV

Doubletree by Hilton San Pedro

2800 Via Cabrillo Marina

• Thanks 1

You should call X to determine if they offer transfers yet and what days/time they're running.  That would be the least stressful for you and they'll handle your bags.  Not sure why getting from LAX to SP would be stressful if one is flying in the day before and is not driving.  Obviously if you're flying in same day and the flight gets delayed then yes there is understandable stress.

If for whatever reason you don't get an X transfer, as stated, if flying into LAX (which is generally has cheaper airfare than other options) you either pay extra for an Uber/Lyft to pick you up at the curb or simply take a shuttle to the taxi/ride share area.  Sounds like (again if the transfer isn't an option) you should stay in the SP area to alleviate stress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Arriving at LAX and getting transportation from there (UBER/TAXI) is a disaster these days. You need a shuttle to go to the public transportation area.

The ride share/taxi lot is the lesser of all evils.  When there was taxi lines outside the terminals and ride shares could also pick you up inside the horseshoe, during peak times, because it was a free for all, the horseshoe got quite congested.  Departing Friday evening for an international flight?  Before, it could be well over an hour to get from any LAX onramp to the International terminal.  A trick back then was to have the driver take the end of T6/T7 shortcut, get dropped off there and walk with your luggage to the international terminal/TBIT.

There are some tips and tricks we can use today but these aren't for everyone.  Take any rental/hotel shuttle or the metro shuttle to get out of the LAX area, get off then call a ride share which will be cheaper.  Occasionally those shuttle drivers will ask for proof of a reservation or if the metro shuttle, a metro card yet if you give them $3 they'll happily take you there and even help you with your bags.

For us.. the pre reserved  limo  works best. Just us and our luggage... smooth ride to pre cruise hotel..then a local taxi to ship.

Less stress even if it costs more.

We do not do uber...After one cruise, can't recall which one,  I had to help fellow cruisers, and  interpret for an uber  driver who was clueless and lost....and command of Eng  zero..

Whatever works....just be patient...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Departing Friday evening for an international flight?  Before, it could be well over an hour to get from any LAX onramp to the International terminal.  A trick back then was to have the driver take the end of T6/T7 shortcut, get dropped off there and walk with your luggage to the international terminal/TBIT. ...

That was what I usually did when flying AA. Still a pretty stiff walk. I ended up switching to UA because it was a lot easier to just get to the terminal.

• Like 1

I just flew in and out of LAX last week. It was pretty easy to get an Uber to and from the airport. If you have a lot of luggage get a larger Uber. It’s not something to stress over.  I’d rather spend a little extra for the convenience than stressing over a shuttle service. 

• Thanks 1