Avis Skagway recent experiences?

sunsetme

Yes. We rented from Avis on May 5 for our day in Skagway. Great service and excellent car. We drove up into the Yukon to Emerald Lake and back with lots of stops on the way including Caribou Crossing. Absolutely great, beautiful day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karatemom2 said:

Yes. We rented from Avis on May 5 for our day in Skagway. Great service and excellent car. We drove up into the Yukon to Emerald Lake and back with lots of stops on the way including Caribou Crossing. Absolutely great, beautiful day!

thanks!

Karatemom2, where you able to cross the border to Canada and get back in without testing? If so what requirements were needed to go over and get back besides a passport? Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Jobo18 said:

Karatemom2, where you able to cross the border to Canada and get back in without testing? If so what requirements were needed to go over and get back besides a passport? Thanks in advance!

Yes, testing is no longer a requirement to enter Canada - just vaccination and you don't need to test to reenter the US via land. You will need to register on ArriveCan in advance and upload passport information and proof of vaccination for you and anyone traveling with you. Then, within 72 hours of your travel into Canada, you will complete the section about your travel plans: mode of transportation: (via car), date and time and where you will be entering (Fraser). Once that is completed you will get a QR code that can be scanned. Upon crossing the border into Canada, you will just need to show your passports and that QR code. It is actually pretty easy and we had no issues going into Canada or reentering the US on our way back.

Edited by karatemom2

On 6/3/2022 at 12:13 PM, karatemom2 said:

Yes, testing is no longer a requirement to enter Canada - just vaccination and you don't need to test to reenter the US via land. You will need to register on ArriveCan in advance and upload passport information and proof of vaccination for you and anyone traveling with you. Then, within 72 hours of your travel into Canada, you will complete the section about your travel plans: mode of transportation: (via car), date and time and where you will be entering (Fraser). Once that is completed you will get a QR code that can be scanned. Upon crossing the border into Canada, you will just need to show your passports and that QR code. It is actually pretty easy and we had no issues going into Canada or reentering the US on our way back.

Thanks so much. We want to make the drive to emerald lake again and was worried we could not cross the border and come back without a test.

• 1 year later...

Be sure to accept the "windshield damage" insurance from Avis. We rented a really nice SUV in Skagway from them and declined the insurance since our auto insurance covers rentals. But the fact that there was specific windshield insurance for about $7 should have been a sign to me lol. Sure enough, we came back with a big round ding in the windshield from a rock that flipped up on it on the way to Emerald Lake. Avis was so nice about it - examined it and determined it could be repaired locally without needing a windshield replacement (which I found out later our own insurance would not have covered). They charged us $60 which I happily paid, relieved that it could have been much worse. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:44 PM, surgie said:

Be sure to accept the "windshield damage" insurance from Avis. We rented a really nice SUV in Skagway from them and declined the insurance since our auto insurance covers rentals. But the fact that there was specific windshield insurance for about $7 should have been a sign to me lol. Sure enough, we came back with a big round ding in the windshield from a rock that flipped up on it on the way to Emerald Lake. Avis was so nice about it - examined it and determined it could be repaired locally without needing a windshield replacement (which I found out later our own insurance would not have covered). They charged us $60 which I happily paid, relieved that it could have been much worse. 

I don't understand why your CDW would have excluded windshield damage. Neither the "Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver" benefit provided by my credit card issuer, nor the rental vehicle endorsement required by law to be included in motor vehicle liability insurance policies issued against vehicles registered in my home state, impose any limitation as to the type of damage sustained. That is, damage to windshields seemingly should be covered as any other type of damage to the rented vehicle. Why was it not covered by your CDW? Might it have been a peculiar exception to your particular CDW coverage? I would be reluctant to urge others to accept "windshield damage" coverage from the rental agency if they already have such coverage.

• 2 months later...

We have Avis booked for summer 2024.  How many hours should we budget for a leisurely round-trip drive, with scenic stops and a lunch stop, from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway?  Three adults.  Don't want to be rushed.  Ship is in port 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.  TIA!

28 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

We have Avis booked for summer 2024.  How many hours should we budget for a leisurely round-trip drive, with scenic stops and a lunch stop, from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway?  Three adults.  Don't want to be rushed.  Ship is in port 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.  TIA!

I think 6 hours is adequate. You can do longer if you want (we frequently do). Google Murray's  Guide.

Edited by Coral