Shore Excursions Limited?

eileenandherbie

I am sailing on the October Transatlantic on the Edge. There are very few shore excursions listed at this time. Do you think they will add more as time goes on or is that it?? If so, I will book private excursions…just wanted to use up the OBC…what do you think?

I just wanted to say I enjoyed your post and I hope you get answers.  I know what you mean but I had this image of being in the middle of the ocean doing an excursion.  Maybe a kayak?  🙂

How many ports does the transatlantic stop at?

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 1

Shore excursions have often opened up closer to cruising dates.  Impossible to tell as port restrictions come and go.  October is a long way in the future.

It is hard for tour operators to know staff will be available.  Several threads on what you are asking.  Cancellation of excursions both cruiseline and private are mentioned.

I would not worry till August

14 minutes ago, eileenandherbie said:

I am sailing on the October Transatlantic on the Edge. There are very few shore excursions listed at this time. Do you think they will add more as time goes on or is that it?? If so, I will book private excursions…just wanted to use up the OBC…what do you think?

I just looked at Celebrity's website for the shorex's available for your Oct 24 TA sailing.  I was surprised to see that two of the ports (Palma and Gibraltar) have nothing listed!  So in totality, the shorex catalog is very thin for you.

We will be on the Constellation TA leaving Civitavecchia on Oct 22.  We have a healthy slate of Palma excursions available and a couple more excursions offered at Cartagena than Edge.  

For Constellation, I don't expect Celebrity to add anything more to the shorex offering.  For Edge, I do expect that they will have to add something at least for the two ports where nothing is offered.

As an aside, I would consider selectively booking private tours anyway for several reasons although I realize that you are trying to spend OBC which you don't want to go to waste!

David

We booked private excursions for 2 of our 4 ports on a October TA.  The private tour operators have staffing issues just like everyone else.  The company we are using is limiting the number of bookings to avoid having to cancel at the last minute. We booked back in January and they have since stopped taking any new booking for days ship are in port.  

Based on experience in the British Isles last week, there is a big shortage of drivers and guides. Not  sure why though there are excursions on one day and fewer at the same port a couple of days away

We are on Apex for the TA at the end of October.  Very little available, not to mention private tours offering slim pickens too.  I guess we are at a wait and see mode with summer taking priority.  TA's usually have a more seasoned group of travelers, many who have previously been to these ports.  I just plan to walk off and visit the ports again, since I have previously been on excursions.  

Edited by Lastdance

We are cruising in 2 months time. There were only a few excursions available for quite a long time. There have been a lot more coming on in the last month - although Marseille is still very limited in choice.