Morning in Boston

aloha_DC

I'm flying in the night before for an NCL cruise to Bermuda. I'm not in a hurry to get on the boat, so thinking about getting the latest boarding time (1:30). Staying right near the cruise port so thinking I might leave my bag there and go do something in Boston for the morning and then board. Good idea? Bad idea? What should I be considering/ worried about? Been to Boston before. 

If you are staying at the new Hampton Inn Seaboard then you can have them hold your luggage, take the Silver line bus or get an UBER to State Street, Faneuil Hall or Aquarium area.  Walk from there or take a Trolley Tour (2 hours) stay on the bus.  As long as ships are in port, the trolley may be going out to the Ray Flynn/Black Falcon pier where you could get off and walk to your hotel to retrieve your luggage. I wouldn't plan on picking up the trolley at the pier, as it will probably full of ship passengers and as it doesn't start until 9ish and that stop is at the end, I'd start my brief tour in downtown.

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

I'm not in a hurry to get on the boat, so thinking about getting the latest boarding time (1:30).

You can do a lot in Boston in a very short time-- its a small enough city to walk around, especially if you keep to the Faneuil Hall/Downtown area as others have mentioned. 

Staying right near the cruise port so thinking I might leave my bag there and go do something in Boston for the morning and then board. Good idea? Bad idea?

I agree Nitemare-- if you are going to end up taking transportation from the airport to the seaport and then have to take round trip transportation from the seaport hotel to downtown and then back, why not just go from the airport to a central downtown hotel for the night and then take an Uber/cab to the ship? If you are set on where you are currently staying then its just an extra step so it doesn't really make a huge difference, I just prefer the hotels/vibe of central Boston to the seaport area. 

What should I be considering/ worried about? Been to Boston before. 

Nothing really unless the extra running around isn't worth it since you've been to town before. Unless there were one or two things you want to accomplish, because thats all you'll really have time for in the morning, then it might be better off just relaxing. 

Personally for me I would stay at a hotel near Back Bay/Boston Common, get in and have a nice dinner somewhere nearby, walk around the next morning in the vicinity of my hotel, and then take an uber to the pier. 

• Thanks 1

I think you're fine to stay near the cruise terminal.  It's literally a 15 to 20 minute walk from that area to downtown and you could do it along the harbor front so it would be scenic as well.  Trust me I do it most days at lunchtime.  The seaport area has been so developed over the past couple of years that if you haven't been to Boston in that time you would hardly recognize it.  Once you're in the downtown it's easy to catch a subway for a quick trip to anywhere depending on what you want to see or do.  Main station stops in the downtown area are South Station, Aquarium, State Street, Downtown Crossing to name several.  I think it may be a more economical choice hotel wise that in the Back Bay depending on the time of year and day of the week.  You could always catch a cab, Uber or Lyft back to your hotel to save on time going back to fetch your bags.  Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

I think you're fine to stay near the cruise terminal.  It's literally a 15 to 20 minute walk from that area to downtown and you could do it along the harbor front so it would be scenic as well.  Trust me I do it most days at lunchtime.  The seaport area has been so developed over the past couple of years that if you haven't been to Boston in that time you would hardly recognize it.  Once you're in the downtown it's easy to catch a subway for a quick trip to anywhere depending on what you want to see or do.  Main station stops in the downtown area are South Station, Aquarium, State Street, Downtown Crossing to name several.  I think it may be a more economical choice hotel wise that in the Back Bay depending on the time of year and day of the week.  You could always catch a cab, Uber or Lyft back to your hotel to save on time going back to fetch your bags.  Hope this helps.

Google maps tells me it is a 29 minute walk from Black Falcon Avenue to South Station, which is barely out of the seaport.  It is 37 minutes to Fanueil Hall

Thanks everyone! I'd love to be staying downtown, but the hotel prices are INSANE that night. Was fortunate to find a place near the cruise terminal on Marriott points. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 4:05 PM, aloha_DC said:

Thanks everyone! I'd love to be staying downtown, but the hotel prices are INSANE that night. Was fortunate to find a place near the cruise terminal on Marriott points. 

Are you at the Aloft on D? I used to live in the apartment building right next to it. It is about a 20 minute walk to South Station and a 20 minute walk into South Boston. There are some nice restaurants in Southie for dinner. And I think the walk through the Greenway from South Station up to the Aquarium is really pretty.

I walked from my old apartment to the cruiseport - it isn't too bad of a walk (and sure beats flying to Florida ...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1