Hubbard glacier. Anyone getting close?

jskinsd

Yea!!! The small boat excursion has been fully booked for months now for our July 22 sailing. Reading this I decided to check again and SUCCESS! There were 2 spots available. At a somewhat discounted price and an American Express reward. Still pretty pricey for a rather short excursion but couldn't be happier. Now we need to hope for decent weather but at least we have a very good chance. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a back to back on the Millennium, and yesterday the captain announced we were 1,500 feet from Hubbard Glacier.  In his words , “Woo hoo”!  It was amazing.  Not a lot of calving, but I have never been that close.  My iPhone picture doesn’t do it justice.  At one point the entire window view at the Lido Cafe was completely ice top to bottom. We will be there again tomorrow so hoping to have the same luck.

8E3CD5E2-54C6-43BC-B41E-B0F84E921B13.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

We are doing a back to back on the Millennium, and yesterday the captain announced we were 1,500 feet from Hubbard Glacier.  In his words , “Woo hoo”!  It was amazing.  Not a lot of calving, but I have never been that close.  My iPhone picture doesn’t do it justice.  At one point the entire window view at the Lido Cafe was completely ice top to bottom. We will be there again tomorrow so hoping to have the same luck.

Wow indeed! Wonder how close the smaller excursion boat got? I would guess that the closer you can get, the less likely the calving since it is the presence of icebergs that, to a large degree, determine how close the ships can get. The more calving, the more icebergs. Your picture is great and does show very little ice in the water. Take care of the ship please- we board as you are leaving!

As I mentioned in a previous post, this was our 3rd attempt at the ship-sponsored Hubbard Glacier excursion.  Did we feel it was worth it -- yup!!!!!!!!!!  I am attempting to post some of our calving pictures -- fingers crossed it all works out.

DSC_2020-k1.JPG

DSC_2034-k1.JPG

Here are a couple more pictures.  The day we went, Hubbard was calving like we have never seen it before.  I didn't know where to point the camera as it was calving all over the place.

DSC_2112-k1.JPG

DSC_2182-k1.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, Suzanne123 said:

We were on the same cruise - at least the northbound portion. That was the closest I'd been to a glacier (other than Mendenhall) in 4 Alaska cruises. I'd never seen that much calving; if you were inside, you wouldn't have heard it and was easy to miss. A very special experience, for sure! I hope your trip southbound was just as special.

IMG_5076.JPG

• 5 weeks later...