Ventura promenade v's Iona's

emam

12 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

What I am saying is that the Fred cabins are lower priced then balcony cabins whereas the Iona conservatory cabins are higher priced than balcony cabins. 

Err ok must admit you completely lost me on your pricing structure, I go for like for like pricing, balconies  v balconies etc

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Err ok must admit you completely lost me on your pricing structure, I go for like for like pricing, balconies  v balconies etc

It’s quite simple. On Borealis and Bolette, there are balconies but only in suites. The others, which you mentioned, are Terraced Cabins with access directly onto the promenade Deck 3. They are cheaper than the Suite balconies. There’s no danger of being ‘upgraded’ to these Terraced Cabins if you book a proper balcony, i.e. a suite. The situation on Iona is different because the conservatory type cabins on deck 8 are considered an upgrade, hence the risk! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

It’s quite simple. On Borealis and Bolette, there are balconies but only in suites. The others, which you mentioned, are Terraced Cabins with access directly onto the promenade Deck 3. They are cheaper than the Suite balconies. There’s no danger of being ‘upgraded’ to these Terraced Cabins if you book a proper balcony, i.e. a suite. The situation on Iona is different because the conservatory type cabins on deck 8 are considered an upgrade, hence the risk! 

It’s only a risk as you put it if you opt for upgrades, as for your explanation on the Fred pricing structure, I look at the overall price of the cruise not what the cruise line define as there cabin grade, first we look for balcony cabins than position than price, we found the overall package offered by Fred to be more expensive.

We have done some research on the deck 8 cabins, there seams to be more complaints on this site from people who haven’t actually stayed in them than from those who have on other sites, we personally would try than before I gave an opinion on how good/bad they are.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

It’s only a risk as you put it if you opt for upgrades, as for your explanation on the Fred pricing structure, I look at the overall price of the cruise not what the cruise line define as there cabin grade, first we look for balcony cabins than position than price, we found the overall package offered by Fred to be more expensive.

We have done some research on the deck 8 cabins, there seams to be more complaints on this site from people who haven’t actually stayed in them than from those who have on other sites, we personally would try than before I gave an opinion on how good/bad they are.

It’s ok to try them if that is what you booked, not if upgraded to them. That is what the discussion is about. People don’t realise they can be upgraded to these cabins if they don’t opt out. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
Mispelling
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I have been on Iona and although I have not stayed in one of the cabins on deck 8 I would certainly not want to!!

I’d take one as an upgrade from an inside 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It’s ok to try them if that is what you booked, not if upgraded to them. That is what the discussion is about. People don’t realise they can be upgraded to these cabins if they don’t opt out. 

I understand your point! 

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

FO is pricier overall, I agree. I have cruised in a balcony in Balmoral, but the balcony suites on their newer ships are out of my range. You mentioned the FO terraced cabins, which I have looked at in the past but they’re very careful on their website not to describe these as balcony cabins. They just mention that you have direct access to the Promenade deck. It’s fairly clear to prospective cruisers what the situation is regarding these Terraced Cabins and I know that I wouldn’t feel comfortable in one of them. I don’t think the true nature of the Deck 8 Iona cabins is clear at all, unless you have a good trawl through Youtube etc. I don’t feel the need to try one out before giving an opinion - I’ve seen enough to know that I would feel uncomfortable and exposed in one of them. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bazrat said:

When we were onboard recently there were some people in the deck 8 cabins, 4 ladies in 2 cabins in particular, who were clearly  having a great time chatting & waving to people as they walked past, but I also heard a few conversations from people who felt they had a raw deal having a whirlpool and/or people on deckchairs for their view.
Having walked past them several times a day for a week, if it was a choice of deck 8 or not going at all, we would probably accept one, but certainly not one right at the front or one with a view of a whirlpool, but to accept a deck 8 cabin for us would be a last resort.

I’ve also read people saying to avoid deck 9 cabins because they’re overlooked from above. We were on deck 9 and didn’t feel overlooked, well except when my mum kept leaning out from her balcony and taking  unflattering photos of me looking out from our balcony. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I've booked on both Iona and Arvia recently.  Speaking to the P&O agent on all three occasions they indicated if booking a balcony they would "suggest" booking select to avoid the deck 8 conundrum.  The agent booking my Arvia 2023 Christmas cruise went one step further and said as this is a special cruise he felt the deck 8 cabins would spoil it.  He said off the record he had no idea what the designers were thinking of putting hot tubs etc in front of people's rooms as the promenade itself was bad enough.  He called it living in a goldfish bowl which I think sums it up pretty well.

I've taken a chance on my Iona cruises booking Early Saver aft following the suggestion that deck 8 has no aft balcony cabins.

• Like 2

We always book select and no upgrades so I doubt if we would get upgraded to them, but saying that I would not object to trying them out on a short cruise.

the design of the ship is not new just new for P&O, interesting to know what you think of the RCCL ships were the inside cabins which overlook the boardwalk look into other cabins.

5 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We always book select and no upgrades so I doubt if we would get upgraded to them, but saying that I would not object to trying them out on a short cruise.

the design of the ship is not new just new for P&O, interesting to know what you think of the RCCL ships were the inside cabins which overlook the boardwalk look into other cabins.

With an £1,800 premium, ie £900 each, for booking select on my Arvia cruise (total £7,600 for an ordinary balcony) I think it speaks for itself that P&O know these cabins are a problem.

The RC cabins overlooking the boardwalk as I recall on Allure do not actually open directly on to the boardwalk, they merely overlook it.  They are actually quite sought after I believe.

Edited by Megabear2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

With an £1,800 premium, ie £900 each, for booking select on my Arvia cruise (total £7,600 for an ordinary balcony) I think it speaks for itself that P&O know these cabins are a problem.

The RC cabins overlooking the boardwalk as I recall on Allure do not actually open directly on to the boardwalk, they merely overlook it.  They are actually quite sort after I believe.

They have small balconies we’re you can look across into other cabins so I have been told by someone who actually been onboard, as for the price we are doing a TA on Ariva in 2004 we just paid a little over £4000 for a balcony midships select fare.

19 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

They have small balconies we’re you can look across into other cabins so I have been told by someone who actually been onboard, as for the price we are doing a TA on Ariva in 2004 we just paid a little over £4000 for a balcony midships select fare.

They are actually sold as balconies. When I was on Allure we visited one and you look out across the Boardwalk.  There are balconies on each side of the ship but she is very wide so you don’t actually see into someone's cabin in the way the Iona ones do.

I know you are very keen on TAs, however they are never priced anywhere near the cost of a "real" Caribbean cruise so really no comparison with a Christmas/New Year cruise.  Since I booked the price did drop a little and no doubt it will again.  However we got very good obc and so the price drop in the recent sale did not improve the offer.  It is what it is.

Just priced select mi balcony on 16/12/2024 and it is now £7978 with £120 obc

Edited by Megabear2

37 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

They are actually sold as balconies. When I was on Allure we visited one and you look out across the Boardwalk.  There are balconies on each side of the ship but she is very wide so you don’t actually see into someone's cabin in the way the Iona ones do.

I know you are very keen on TAs, however they are never priced anywhere near the cost of a "real" Caribbean cruise so really no comparison with a Christmas/New Year cruise.  Since I booked the price did drop a little and no doubt it will again.  However we got very good obc and so the price drop in the recent sale did not improve the offer.  It is what it is.

Just priced select mi balcony on 16/12/2024 and it is now £7978 with £120 obc

The TA is a real Caribbean cruise to us and I know they are not priced the same, but my wife enjoys doing them and at this moment in time it is something to look forward to, because we have more or less given up on this year’s cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, Bazrat said:

The TA is a real Caribbean cruise to us and I know they are not priced the same, but my wife enjoys doing them and at this moment in time it is something to look forward to, because we have more or less given up on this year’s cruise.

Yes, I'm sure it will be great for you. I hope your wife is now feeling better and on the mend. 

I also love TA's, the Allure cruise I mentioned was Barcelona to FLL via the islands and I normally do at least two QM2 crossings in normal years.

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, I'm sure it will be great for you. I hope your wife is now feeling better and on the mend. 

I also love TA's, the Allure cruise I mentioned was Barcelona to FLL via the islands and I normally do at least two QM2 crossings in normal years.

Two cancelled operations as not helped still waiting for the first of two.